Any X Trainer experiences here?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

So I am pondering getting a new bike. I have a KDX200, and would love to have more torque. So rather than dumping more money Than I already have into her, I am thinking about possibly selling and buying a Beta X trainer. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? I am just wondering how big of an improvement it will really be in both power and suspension.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I bought a 2016 xtrainer last fall and also have a kdx 220 and have had an h series 200 also both KDX's had aftermarket pipes. After my first ride on the X It seemed as though the power was similar to my 220 but after riding them back to back it was no comparison the x has way more power. The only thing I've done to my x enginewise was to turn the pv adjuster out flush with the case, which gave it more hit. The x has more power everywhere and will easily lift the wheel in 3rd gear. The handling is much better, feels way lighter probably because it is, even though I haven't weighed it. It turns and carves through the trees much better then the kdx. The only problem I have is the front forks, when I got the bike it was obvious it had way to much rebound. I adjusted the rebound and cranked the fork preload down and it was much better. If you don't know, this bike has one fork spring on the right side and the dampening is on the left side. Honestly I could use heavier springs beacause I weigh 200#s. If you have read much on these bikes, lots of people have already done fork swaps and supposedly Beta is working on a kit to improve the front forks. For the average guy the forks will be just fine, if your going to ride harescrambles or ride at a fast level you might want to invest in suspension mods or buy the RR model. I really like the compact feel of the xtrainer, it will feel like your skill level has jumped a notch if you get one. There are tons of info on thumper talk and also the xtrainer face book page. I kept waiting for Kawasaki to bring back the new improved KDX but couldn't wait forever.
Ed5786

Re: Any X Trainer experiences here?

Post by Ed5786 »

Thank you for the response. I also weigh 200 lbs, but I honestly don't know what it's like to ride with "good" forks. My 200 has stock forks with .38 springs in them and that's all I've ever known and I've never had a crash that I could honestly blame on them. My only complaint is the steering is not real responsive, and the turning radius kind of sucks. The power is ok, actually it's a lot of fun because I have a desert pipe on it but riding it like a 125 is not my thing in tight woods. The other day I almost placed an order for a woods pipe, and I contacted Ron black to send the head and carb out. But then I thought what if I dump more money into this thing than I already have, and it's still not what I want? My only worry with the X if I get it, is having a monthly payment.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

One thing I forgot to mention is it does not have a kick starter. The electric starter has been flawless but I worry about it failing or a dead battery, so I bought the kick starter kit ($400) ouch but it gave me piece of mind, whats left of my mind that is.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

I don't know about you, but I am 5'10 and felt the need for 1" bar riders on my 200 to make standing more comfortable. How is the cockpit on the X? Bars high enough?
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I'm 5' 10" also I'm just getting ready to put my flex bars on the X, I too had risers on my kdx, I've been riding with the stock bars but feel like they could use an inch rise, We'll see what it's like with the flexx bars, they are pretty close to the same bend as the xtrainer bars.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

canamfan wrote:I'm 5' 10" also I'm just getting ready to put my flex bars on the X, I too had risers on my kdx, I've been riding with the stock bars but feel like they could use an inch rise, We'll see what it's like with the flexx bars, they are pretty close to the same bend as the xtrainer bars.
Thanks again for the Info. I am really leaning towards the X. The KDX has been a great bike, but I'm at a cross roads of spending more than I want on wear items, or having new. I just did a top end, and now my power valve sticks open and closes very slowly. I'm tired of tinkering!
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

On your new top end, did you have it replated or not?

I know a guy that had his replated and it had extra plating inside the subvalves area, keeping it from opening and closing properly.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Jason wrote:On your new top end, did you have it replated or not?

I know a guy that had his replated and it had extra plating inside the subvalves area, keeping it from opening and closing properly.
Yes I did have it replated. That was a thought. However if I take the claw off of the actuator shaft, I can operate the power valve with my fingers and it doesn't seem like there is to much tension. The actuator shaft seems to have plenty of tension when turned and it returns just fine. Maybe it just needs to wear in, I don't know.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing