Can somebody please explain KTM fiche logic / interchange ?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
bob_jones

Can somebody please explain KTM fiche logic / interchange ?

Post by bob_jones »

So I'm trying to look up part interchange for KTM 2000 exc. It looks like none of the common sites (partzilla, ktm, babbitt etc) show the "where used" method for ktm like they do the Japanese bikes. When I pick a part from a ktm schematic, it doesn't show the other models where that part occurs.
Do any of yall deal with these? How do we determine other ktm models that interchange parts with other models?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Can somebody please explain KTM fiche logic / interchang

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you tried copying and pasting the part number into a Google search?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

Of course. It wasn't helpful that's why I'm asking somebody who has dealt with them. I'm thinking about getting a KTM project bike so I'm looking for used parts availability. Here's what I'm getting....

Let's say I'm shopping for a used seat for a 2001 exc 300. So I want to find what years and models that had that seat. So I go to the fiche on KTM website. I go to the schematic for 2001 exc 300 seat. I find the seat, click on the part number, and this is what I get...

http://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/Views/S ... ePart.aspx
(It shows the part number, but no other occurrence on any other model or year)

So I google the part number and this is what I get
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=50307040400+
(only results I see are 2001 300 EXC)

So then I ask "Is this the only year and model and application"?
So then I go through the process again for 250 exc. then 200 exc, then 2002, then 2000, then 2003... and on and on and on. So then I try the same with Babbit's, Partzilla, etc...and get the same results.

So my question is for someone who knows KTM's is.... "is this as good as it gets?" "Is this really how one must go about finding interchange info?"

Someone will suggest calling the parts counter at the dealership. Ok fine... am I stuck calling the KTM dealer every single time I want to look for cylinders that will fit? Kickstarter springs that will fit... this and that and this and that....

Yes, I searched ebay yes, I found some possible parts to fit, but then I have to go through this whole process again because I cant just go to babbit's or partzilla or ron ayer's and pull the part and see if it is shared with my bike.

I'm asking someone to explain how KTM does this deal and if this is what you go through to locate parts.

You know how a project bike is. You're going to need all sorts of crap and you're going to look up a lot more things than you install. I want want to know how y'all do KTM and if there is some voodoo that I don't know about?
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

BTW, I'm sure that there is something simple that I'm missing about KTMese. I'm sure that when someone points it out, I'll feel like a dolt but at least I'll be able to do my project.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I've used bikebandit and partszilla in the past to help me do the same thing with kawasaki parts.

I just tried this real quick on bikebandit for a front rim of a 200exc and it is showing me the other bikes that use that same part number: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/det ... sch=465380

Maybe try going through there and see if that helps. Bikebandit is kind of a pain, even after you select OEM parts, you still have to verify that you are looking for OEM parts and not aftermarket.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

Well I'll be a son-of-a-b**ch. There it is. That's one I didn't look at. Once again. Saved by some simple-ass-s**t right in front of my face. Thank you thank you thank you good sir!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Sweet man! Glad I could help!

I thought those KTM guys were smarter than that....

:lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahahaha ONLY KIDDING! I COULDN'T RESIST!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

They probably are. I am not one. Never messed with one in my life and was about to decide not to start now! :?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Glad you got it figured out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128