IT175J Another Yamaha

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

IT175J Another Yamaha

Post by KDXohio »

So I've been pretty busy lately fixed up an IT490 that I've been trail riding along side the KDX. I got that finished sooner than anticipated so I decided the wife needed a bike and went searching for a kdx 175/200 to fix up for her but found these old gems instead :lol: ...

I got these about a month ago and have made considerable progress so I will be updating when I get more pictures!
Traded an old chainsaw for them so the price was right!
Before pictures:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: IT175J Another Yamaha

Post by KDXGarage »

A month ago? Kinda slow to report to us. Don't let it happen again. :mrgreen:

Cool story. Congrats on the bikes. Keep us updated and good luck.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Yeah I've been slacking big time! I've only had a few minutes here and there to work on them I managed to get one rideable the other is going to take a ton of work!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Damn, dude. You work fast. :bravo:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

It helps when it's something you enjoy! These old classic''s are fun to bring back to life!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I didn't do a full blown restoration just cleaned everything real good greased all the pivot points, rebuilt the top and bottom end, redid the forks, shock was fine on this one, new cables and some paint
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Oh and half an hour fishing a mouse nest out of the expansion chamber :kick:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't mean to be critical of all that very good work, but you put the chain and sprockets on the wrong side. :oops:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

:shock: shoot that means I put the engine in backwards!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Looks great, nice work!
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Looks good!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

nice work!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Nice job bringing an old pinger back to life. I had an MR175 from Honda same year, not nearly as good a trail bike. Love the shock remote mounted on the downtube. Man, back in the 70's and 80's they were making some great trail bikes.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

bufftester wrote:Nice job bringing an old pinger back to life. I had an MR175 from Honda same year, not nearly as good a trail bike. Love the shock remote mounted on the downtube. Man, back in the 70's and 80's they were making some great trail bikes.
I'm taking it out on it's maiden voyage tomorrow along side the 490! That way when my right leg gets tired I'll have something I can still kick :lol:
So far put putting around the yard it seems to have good lugability but I'm not too confident in the suspension front seems to wash out very easily and the rear has a tendency to kick out over some small roots/rocks but we'll see when I actually get it on the trails how it does!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, at that age, the suspension is squirrely compared to the newer bikes no matter what you do to it!. I would not look forward to kicking that 490 for long lol, at least not with out a compression release.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Surprisingly it's only a problem at the start of the day when she's cold shes a b@$#& to start! Once I get it warmed up it's hard to kick but if i catch it just right with my all 155lbs it fires right back up. :mrgreen:
I am looking forward to having something easier to kick with me in comparison I can basically blow on the 175 lever to get it started!
The compression release is on my winter to-do list