KLX 140G alternator output

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Would anyone know, or could suggest how I can find, the wattage output of the KLX 140G's alternator?

I have a copy of the owner's manual. It shows the wiring diagram, but doesn't say what the wattage output is.

Obviously it has to be enough to charge the battery for the E start, but I'm curious what the actual wattage output is.
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

According to the Baja Designs website, stock output is 100W.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/tech-info/S ... -Chart.asp
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Hey, Thanks for that link.

That output is more than enough to power lighting and horn for a dual sport conversion. And the current off the battery would be DC too, which is perfect for LED lighting and a DC horn.
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

Happy to help. pumpguy. :grin:

Speaking of dual sport conversions, isn't your KDX plated for the road in IL? I'd be very interested in learning how you did this.... :supz:

I'd also be super interested how you would go about converting the KLX as well.

Dave.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Yes it is, but I really lucked out on that one! A bit of a long story.

I bought the bike from a dealer mechanic in Indiana. He had a CO for it from the previous owner in another state. I talked to the ILL DMV several times about getting a road legal title and was told I needed to equip it to meet Illinois's requirements and then get it inspected by the Illinois State Police. Illinois has a provision for titling a "specially constructed motorcycle" or similar; I have to check through my paperwork to confirm that description. Presumably this is to accommodate the Chopper crowd. So, I was prepared to add stuff needed and go through that inspection.

I went to the ILL DMV several times with documents I got with the bike to get a CO in my name. ILL DMV told me the PO first had to get it documented in his name which he had never done, and then sign it over to me.

So, when all the paperwork was finally done (took about 6 months) and I got it legally in my name, LO AND BEHOLD, WHAT I GOT FROM ILLINOIS WAS A ROAD LEGAL TITLE!

Don't ask me how I lucked out on that one, but that's what happened.

I would suggest you start with talking to the ILL DMV in Springfield or the Illinois State Police and ask what the procedure is for getting a bike inspected for a road legal title. May take a few phone calls, but you will get answers. My experience with this was everybody I talked to was very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. After you install the road legal stuff, you need to make an appointment with the Illinois State Police to get the bike inspected. They only do this about once a month.

Oh, for Illinois, turn signals on motorcycles are not required, but an electrically operated horn is.

As far as converting a KLX, this should be very straightforward since it already has good generator output, a regulator rectifier, and battery; all needed for the E start.

Tap into the + side lead off the battery and run leads for your lighting and horn. Wire in a stop light switch, either hydraulic or mechanical, for the back brake, and light and horn buttons on the handlebar. You're supposed to have a front brake stop light switch too, but you can probably get away without one. I found a switch that had on, off, high and low beam for the lights as well as horn and kill buttons all in one switch.

A wide variety of aftermarket enduro type head lights, tail lights, license plate brackets, and rear fenders are available, depending on your preferences.

I would guess this could be done for around $150, ordering parts piece by piece, depending on your own preferences.

Hope this is helpful.