1996 Yamaha DT200.

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
melias24

1996 Yamaha DT200.

Post by melias24 »

Hey all so i've found a 1996 Yamaha DT200 for sale for $200 AUD. He reckon's all it needs is a water pump seal, and a tidy up which is obvious in the image and she's good to go. Just wondering what are parts like, and what is the overall bike like? I just want a reliable bike that won't need a top end every 60hrs *cough cough husky 125 cough cough* and that i don't have to change oil on every single ride.

I love my husky 125, but it's too much. Anyway, just i'd like to hear about this bike, and what performance is like, any restrictions that can be removed free power mods etc. I know it'll have a bit less go than my 125, but i prefer slow bush riding anyway, so being a 200cc 2 stroke i'm going to guess that it'll be obviously have much more low end grunt than my 125. Thanks to all answers :supz:

~Elias
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: 1996 Yamaha DT200.

Post by ced64k »

DT200 = WR200 ?
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

ced64k wrote:DT200 = WR200 ?
In dual sport trim. Actually, it's the other way around: A WR200 is a DT200 in dirt trim.

They're good bikes. Power is even milder and less-peaky than a stock KDX200.

Don't know about parts availability. We only had the WR200 in the U.S. for 2 years back in the early 90s, but it seems like a long-manufactured model globally.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1996 Yamaha DT200.

Post by ohgood »

melias24 wrote:Hey all so i've found a 1996 Yamaha DT200 for sale for $200 AUD. He reckon's all it needs is a water pump seal, and a tidy up which is obvious in the image and she's good to go. Just wondering what are parts like, and what is the overall bike like? I just want a reliable bike that won't need a top end every 60hrs *cough cough husky 125 cough cough* and that i don't have to change oil on every single ride.

I love my husky 125, but it's too much. Anyway, just i'd like to hear about this bike, and what performance is like, any restrictions that can be removed free power mods etc. I know it'll have a bit less go than my 125, but i prefer slow bush riding anyway, so being a 200cc 2 stroke i'm going to guess that it'll be obviously have much more low end grunt than my 125. Thanks to all answers :supz:

~Elias

get on YouTube and look for dt200 videos, some of the best long wheelies you'll ever see.

congrats, go get it
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

they are a little bit flimsy for hard off road riding but OK for poking along.
I suspect all high reving 125cc motocrossers have such a limited piston life. I had a '75 Husky 125CR for years and never had to replace the piston. But that was before they turned them into complete screamers. It was good in the woods as well as the track. You can lessen its peak RPM by lengthening the exhaust pipe header.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

I dunno this guy seemed to get enough in parts and looked great after all done. Would love to see the paint job after a battle in the woods.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
melias24

Post by melias24 »

ICRage42 wrote:

I dunno this guy seemed to get enough in parts and looked great after all done. Would love to see the paint job after a battle in the woods.
Yeah I've seen a lot on this dude's DT really nice. I'm not looking to restore it to new, but I'll defiantly strip it to clean and find out what other issues there are & check bearings etc.
Jaguar wrote:they are a little bit flimsy for hard off road riding but OK for poking along.
I suspect all high reving 125cc motocrossers have such a limited piston life. I had a '75 Husky 125CR for years and never had to replace the piston. But that was before they turned them into complete screamers. It was good in the woods as well as the track. You can lessen its peak RPM by lengthening the exhaust pipe header.

Ah ok thanks for that. Would keep the husky but i also want a good mountain bike, so im having to compromise. At least i'll still be able to motorbike ride now and then.
ohgood wrote:
melias24 wrote:Hey all so i've found a 1996 Yamaha DT200 for sale for $200 AUD. He reckon's all it needs is a water pump seal, and a tidy up which is obvious in the image and she's good to go. Just wondering what are parts like, and what is the overall bike like? I just want a reliable bike that won't need a top end every 60hrs *cough cough husky 125 cough cough* and that i don't have to change oil on every single ride.

~Elias

get on YouTube and look for dt200 videos, some of the best long wheelies you'll ever see.

congrats, go get it
Yeah even on DT175's i've seen people do monster wheelie's and stoppies!!!