1997 KTM250

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

1997 KTM250

Post by KDXohio »

Heading out to look at a 97 KTM250sx for 250$ not running. Missing flywheel cover and carburetor

Anyone know anything about these bikes?

Any comments welcome!
Last edited by KDXohio on 03:34 pm Apr 10 2015, edited 2 times in total.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1997 KTM250

Post by ohgood »

put a kdx engine on the frame, enjoy
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

:doh:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I know all you need to know. Part it out and put the money towards a lime green bike(s)! :partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Jason wrote:I know all you need to know. Part it out and put the money towards a lime green bike(s)! :partyman:
not going to lie that has crossed my mind there are a couple of nice KDXS for sale around me right now
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've got the shootouts and bike tests for that exact bike. Had a very good engine with a slow delivery of power due to a heavy flywheel. If u keep it I'll take scans of the test and upload them for u. Had 41 or 42 horsepower . Came in last in the shootouts but was still a very good bike, and the beginning of KTM putting out competitive, Japanese-feeling bikes. I agree that u might be better getting it cheap and parting it out for a kdx. If u could fit the ktm forks to the kdx you'd be golden, since those forks received praise in the tests for their performance. I want to say they were 45-47mm but I'm not sure.
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well i bought it for 200 needs rings and a carb to be running. Not sure what im going to do with it.....
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDXohio wrote:Well i bought it for 200 needs rings and a carb to be running. Not sure what im going to do with it.....

pull it apart to verify that's all it needs. for 200, I'd make sure before i sunk money into it.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Pulled the top end last night and drained all fluids coolant was good and clean, trans oil looked a little neglected but ive seen worse. Doesnt appear to be any oil in the bottom end so hopefully the crank seals are good. Dang carburetor is gonna cost a fortune or Id be all for fixing it I just need to make sure i dont sink more in than the bike is worth orange bikes around here typically sell for premiums. Im not trying to get rich off it just like rebuilding bikes!
linny

1997 KTM250

Post by linny »

I do have a suggestion. Why not go with an aftermarket carburetor series of your choice. I did that for an 84 KDX 200 that I got fed up with trying to find parts for. So I bought a Mikuni VM 34. 100$. Screams. When I feel like spending that good money I'll probably upgrade to a Mikuni TM 32 Flatslide. If you get a set of calipers and measure the outside diameter of your venturi in your carb, you can figure out the size for the intake. Save some money.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well i made the mistake of fixing the bike :doh: .

I need some suggestions did the top end on the bike and the clutch cover seals and i had the engine running for a minute Saturday night but didnt have the tank hooked up yet so i shut it down.

Odd problem came up yesterday..i kicked the engine over 2 or 3 times and it locked up while kicking. I can put it in gear and turn the engine over backwards then kick it half a turn or so and it locks again.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

sounds like you are snagging a ring on a port
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Is it an EXC? I love that era KTM ergo, and motor-wise.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Jaguar wrote:sounds like you are snagging a ring on a port
I didnt think about that i will check that tonight
fuzzy wrote:Is it an EXC? I love that era KTM ergo, and motor-wise.
Its the sx but i think from the little research ive done theyre almost identical but the sx has a lighter flywheel?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well I figured it out. Before tearing into the motor again I wanted to eliminate everything I could with external diagnosis.

Looooonngg story short I noticed while turning the engine over with a breaker bar on the flywheel I heard a thud from the other side of the bike and it got very tight I looked and it was the kick-start lever hitting the frame. :hmm: The ratchet must be getting stuck Ill pull the cover tomorrow and see whats going on.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OH! I did not catch that it was a MX bike. I looked right over it being an SX.

Good luck on the rebuild.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Ill be getting all new plastic and putting on a Ceet seat cover once the beast is running
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The EXC has a heavy flywheel, WP enduro valved suspension, large tank, wide ratio transmission, enduro engine porting, 18" rear wheel....Just like the differences between a KX and KDX. It has an adjustable power valve too, but I think the SX also has one.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Ooooh damn you just gave me more info on a KDX site than I got from the KTM guys! All I could find was it had a heavier flywheel. This one doesn't have the adjustable powervalve but from what I've seen the 98 or 99 and up do. On the SX that is.