what is a good enduro ?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

what is a good enduro ?

Post by diymirage »

so im considering getting a second bike (or 5th, depending on how you count)
I want something that maintains the look of a dirtbike but is a little more comfortable at high speeds and on the highway

as much as I love the powerband and the sound of a 2 stroke there is something to be said for not having to carry a bottle of 2 stroke oil

now, ive noticed there are a lot of options out there and to be fair, ive never looked at a 4 stroker before so what do you guys think ?

brand, model, displacement, what should I look for ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

what is a good enduro ?

Post by osobad »

If you don't want a ktm then the drz 400 is pretty good . Iif you want a little bigger hard to beat xr650l. Klx650 is a little better on the road but the xr is much better off road. If you havent seen it google xr650l motocross and watch ivan tedesco running one at lake whitney , especialy when he uses the horn coming up on traffic
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: what is a good enduro ?

Post by Julien D »

DRZ400 is indeed a pretty fun bike. Are you going for 50/50 on/offroad, or something more specific to road travels?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I plan on keeping at least one KDX for woods duty, so this will mostly be for getting around town

I think I've seen an XR for sale locally but I can't remember the displacement
There are also a few DR'S KTMS and even a Husqvarna locally for sale

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

here is one DRZ400 but im not sure if I trust the skills of the owner
where do blister donuts go again ?
and aren't those handguards upside down?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4678646421.html

wolfracing38

Post by wolfracing38 »

A yamaha WR250r is the best enduro out there. Ktm's have the best for performance but parts are expensive and they just dont have the reliability. With a Wr, you can get to 90mph on a highway, handles great in the woods, and it is the most reliable bike i have ever owned.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

drz400, klr650, xr650l( my personal favorite), KTM 525. xr400 on a budget. Skip a 250 for the street unless you're a really laid back guy and don't want to pass anything on the highway. Actually, all these bikes mentioned above kinda suck on the highway. All these kinda bikes suck at trail riding also. Getting these bikes unstuck also sucks.

IMO, you need to get some test rides in.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you are mainly commuting/fire roading, with the occasional trail thrown in, hard to beat the KLR650. They are the Chevy S10 of dual sport bikes....been around since the invention of the wheel (nearly) parts are cheap, and they just go and go like your KDX. Personally I have a stable of 2nd gen GSX-Rs I use for around town, but am contemplating getting the RMX plated just for the hell of it. All the newer adventure bikes (KTM990, BMW1200, Etc) are great on the road, just dont get them stuck in the mud! The Suzuki Vstrom, Yamaha Tenere and Kawi Versys are decent 'sort of dual sport bikes' but then you start moving away from looking like a dirt bike.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

100% agree. klr650 is tough as nails. without a doubt the best for what it was designed to do. on paper it looks like crap stacked up against pretty much everything in it's field... but if you really pay attention to whats out there and what you want to do, there is NOTHING else in that same field.

And one more thing, DIY you'll like this. The klr 650 didn't really change throughout it's years. you can get an old one for CHEAP, and the new parts fit on to old chassis.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

diymirage wrote:I plan on keeping at least one KDX for woods duty, so this will mostly be for getting around town

I think I've seen an XR for sale locally but I can't remember the displacement
There are also a few DR'S KTMS and even a Husqvarna locally for sale
I've had a drz for 4 years, and done things that should have been reserved for a real sorry bike, like the kdx , on it.

since buying the kdx, my drz has been in hooligan mode (super moto) and not had the dirt wheels installed even once.

what the drz is great at:
gravel roads
wheelies
commuting
short distance road trips (400 miles or less per day)
shutting down sport bikers
double track
some single track, but don't think it's anything like the kdx in tight woods, because it isn't

supermoto/hooligan mode is a freaking HOOT: super grippy street tires, with comfortable ergonomics, and wheelies wheelies everywhere.

if you do buy a drz, immediately so the loctite fixes listed on thumpertalk, or you'll be sorry.... kdx220 with stock piston kind of sorry.

:)
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

one more thing.... if you're considering interstate speeds, pick a different bike like the vstrom, the drz SUCKS on the interstate.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

The kind of riding you are going to use it for will greatly dictate the bike you chose. If I was thinking 150 mile rides to get up north it would be a greatly different bike than if I planned to only shoot around town.

I ended up going DR650, as my current commute is ~17 miles each way and if we move where my wife wants to be it will be 45-ish each way. A more race-bike ride would be nice, but with mostly commuter use I wanted low, low maintenance. A coworker has an Aprilia SXV, it calls for a top end rebuild at about the same intervals my bike calls for an oil change. Of course, his is double the hp.

Another funny thing happened after getting the DR. With a plated KDX anything over 15 miles on the road felt torturous. With the DR I find myself "getting lost" on gravel roads on my way home from work and making a 25 minute commute an hour. Despite only 35 hp it cruises dirt roads at 80-85 mph quite well. And there's always Procycles 790cc kit. :)
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I think we have different definitions of Enduro... For me an enduro bike is a bike meant to be used in the gnarliest of terrain. It needs to be light and nimble (for tight terrain and steep rocks/hills), but powerful enough to handle some wide open terrain and ideally, have a tank big enough for 100-150km. The XR650l or KLX are total hogs. They're dual-sports, yes, enduro bikes? No. But given what the OP mentioned (commuter), then I suppose they're good bikes. I've been looking at DRZ-Es lately as I'm in the market for a "do it all" bike. So far my choices seem to come down to:
-DRZ400E (converted into an S: blinkers/light+ maybe a small subframe which is easily removable)
-Wr450 OR 250 (most people seem to prefer the 250).
-Xr400
And to a lesser degree: KLX/CRF250s

I'm just surprised that the DRZ can barely maintain 90km/h. It seems that unless you perform a sprocket change, doing highway on them kind of sucks.
wolfracing38 wrote:A yamaha WR250r is the best enduro out there. Ktm's have the best for performance but parts are expensive and they just dont have the reliability. With a Wr, you can get to 90mph on a highway, handles great in the woods, and it is the most reliable bike i have ever owned.
How different is the F to the R? I've never seen an R before. Only difference is that they have 6 speeds? Many people have told me that the 450 is actually too much in many situations (I originally thought I wanted to stay away from 250cc bikes). But the WR250 produces a whopping 25-30% more power than an XR and is lighter too. I love that they come with a bash plate and have both e and K starters. No room for luggage and small oil capacity, but it seems that with frequent oil changes and valve adjustments, maintenance is the same as the trusty old Xr250s... What year is yours?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Bitteeinit wrote:I think we have different definitions of Enduro... For me an enduro bike is a bike meant to be used in the gnarliest of terrain. It needs to be light and nimble (for tight terrain and steep rocks/hills), but powerful enough to handle some wide open terrain and ideally, have a tank big enough for 100-150km. The XR650l or KLX are total hogs. They're dual-sports, yes, enduro bikes? No. But given what the OP mentioned (commuter), then I suppose they're good bikes. I've been looking at DRZ-Es lately as I'm in the market for a "do it all" bike. So far my choices seem to come down to:
-DRZ400E (converted into an S: blinkers/light+ maybe a small subframe which is easily removable)
-Wr450 OR 250 (most people seem to prefer the 250).
-Xr400
And to a lesser degree: KLX/CRF250s

I'm just surprised that the DRZ can barely maintain 90km/h. It seems that unless you perform a sprocket change, doing highway on them kind of sucks.
wolfracing38 wrote:A yamaha WR250r is the best enduro out there. Ktm's have the best for performance but parts are expensive and they just dont have the reliability. With a Wr, you can get to 90mph on a highway, handles great in the woods, and it is the most reliable bike i have ever owned.
How different is the F to the R? I've never seen an R before. Only difference is that they have 6 speeds? Many people have told me that the 450 is actually too much in many situations (I originally thought I wanted to stay away from 250cc bikes). But the WR250 produces a whopping 25-30% more power than an XR and is lighter too. I love that they come with a bash plate and have both e and K starters. No room for luggage and small oil capacity, but it seems that with frequent oil changes and valve adjustments, maintenance is the same as the trusty old Xr250s... What year is yours?

oh, ok, you want a LIGHT bike... that rules out the drz, wr250r, klx, and all the other street legal bikes in the US. going to have to go KTM if you want light and gnarly street legal. the drz/wr250r/klx are pigs.

the drz will do 90km (55mph) all day long with dirt wheels and 14/47 gearing. you'll be tired of the drone before the bike will care about it. the E is not the same animal as the S/SM models of the drz. the E has no subframe, comes with a more agressive spark curve, higher redline (useless, but its different so i listed it), PUMPER CARB (wahooo!!!), 14/47 cogs, 21/18 wheels, and a plastic tank. the S version just has blinkers, a CV carb (that isn't bad at all), a subframe, and 15/41, with a steel tank.

the best dualsport (you may call this enduro) gearing i've found is 15/47, as it still allows for interstate speeds (70mph) but also works well for creeping in the woods.

i'm going to say it one more time though, the drz / wr250r / klx are pigs in the woods. the first time you pick them up on a hill pointed the bad way down, you'll be wanting your kdx back, or a crane !!

the wr250F <<< FFFFFF !!!! is a completely different bike, high strung, great off road, and can handle short stints on the road too. the drz is more capable ON road, but the wr250F will be much much lighter.

the wr250r wins for reliability only, with 26,000 mile valve CHECKS (no adjustement needed usually), EFI, and a really good output from it's stator. plus there's that yamaha thing, reliability !

dr650 .... fantastic road bike, with the emphasis on road.... dirt road, gravel road, paved road, the dr650 is great at this. single track is possible, but again you're talking about a PIG of a bike to pick up. lots of my friends have fallen in love with the touring/gravel eating characteristics of the dr650. it's great at that, but single track and 'gnarly' are not something i want to do on a dr650.

this is how our drz's usually end up. i think there might be a yellow one, a black on, and maybe a green one, if you look close:
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

ohgood wrote:oh, ok, you want a LIGHT bike... that rules out the drz, wr250r, klx, and all the other street legal bikes in the US. going to have to go KTM if you want light and gnarly street legal. the drz/wr250r/klx are pigs.
How does it rule out the WR250f?! It weighs the same as the KDX (roughly 107KG dry weight).

ohgood wrote:the drz will do 90km (55mph) all day long with dirt wheels and 14/47 gearing. you'll be tired of the drone before the bike will care about it. the E is not the same animal as the S/SM models of the drz. the E has no subframe, comes with a more agressive spark curve, higher redline (useless, but its different so i listed it), PUMPER CARB (wahooo!!!), 14/47 cogs, 21/18 wheels, and a plastic tank. the S version just has blinkers, a CV carb (that isn't bad at all), a subframe, and 15/41, with a steel tank.
From what I've heard/read, the S model weighs quite a bit more than the E model (~20KG). I like them, but the lack of instrumentations and turn signals makes it a poor adventure rider (which is what I'd call the bike class the OP is looking into).

ohgood wrote:i'm going to say it one more time though, the drz / wr250r / klx are pigs in the woods. the first time you pick them up on a hill pointed the bad way down, you'll be wanting your kdx back, or a crane !!
I've heard about the DRZs being pigs, but the WR?! Given that the weight is on par with a KDX, what's the difference? Does it feel much heavier? Top heavy? I'm also considering a 450EXC, but the KTMs command a higher asking price (though WRs are pretty pricey here as well). Street legal doesn't matter to me.

ohgood wrote:the wr250F <<< FFFFFF !!!! is a completely different bike, high strung, great off road, and can handle short stints on the road too. the drz is more capable ON road, but the wr250F will be much much lighter. the wr250r wins for reliability only, with 26,000 mile valve CHECKS (no adjustement needed usually), EFI, and a really good output from it's stator. plus there's that yamaha thing, reliability !
So above, were you talking about the WR450 or 250? I'm confused... Either way, WRs seem to be very capable bikes. A step above the boring XR250s. The DR650 is also supposedly one of the best adventure bikes out there. The DRZ seems like a big, but one thing which attracts me to it is the low maintenance and the ability to ride to far away tracks.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

500/520/525 KTM with the wide ratio transmission. End of debate.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Bitteeinit wrote:
ohgood wrote:oh, ok, you want a LIGHT bike... that rules out the drz, wr250r, klx, and all the other street legal bikes in the US. going to have to go KTM if you want light and gnarly street legal. the drz/wr250r/klx are pigs.
How does it rule out the WR250f?! It weighs the same as the KDX (roughly 107KG dry weight).

ohgood wrote:the drz will do 90km (55mph) all day long with dirt wheels and 14/47 gearing. you'll be tired of the drone before the bike will care about it. the E is not the same animal as the S/SM models of the drz. the E has no subframe, comes with a more agressive spark curve, higher redline (useless, but its different so i listed it), PUMPER CARB (wahooo!!!), 14/47 cogs, 21/18 wheels, and a plastic tank. the S version just has blinkers, a CV carb (that isn't bad at all), a subframe, and 15/41, with a steel tank.
From what I've heard/read, the S model weighs quite a bit more than the E model (~20KG). I like them, but the lack of instrumentations and turn signals makes it a poor adventure rider (which is what I'd call the bike class the OP is looking into).

ohgood wrote:i'm going to say it one more time though, the drz / wr250r / klx are pigs in the woods. the first time you pick them up on a hill pointed the bad way down, you'll be wanting your kdx back, or a crane !!
I've heard about the DRZs being pigs, but the WR?! Given that the weight is on par with a KDX, what's the difference? Does it feel much heavier? Top heavy? I'm also considering a 450EXC, but the KTMs command a higher asking price (though WRs are pretty pricey here as well). Street legal doesn't matter to me.

ohgood wrote:the wr250F <<< FFFFFF !!!! is a completely different bike, high strung, great off road, and can handle short stints on the road too. the drz is more capable ON road, but the wr250F will be much much lighter. the wr250r wins for reliability only, with 26,000 mile valve CHECKS (no adjustement needed usually), EFI, and a really good output from it's stator. plus there's that yamaha thing, reliability !
So above, were you talking about the WR450 or 250? I'm confused... Either way, WRs seem to be very capable bikes. A step above the boring XR250s. The DR650 is also supposedly one of the best adventure bikes out there. The DRZ seems like a big, but one thing which attracts me to it is the low maintenance and the ability to ride to far away tracks.
He said it rules out the heavy WR250R, at 135 kg. The WR250F is not street legal here, although you can add road equipment and plate it in many states.

Dirt vs dual sport is a whole different set of needs. With a strong dirt background I feel like 240 lbs is a heavy bike. In the dual sport world 300 lbs is a feather weight. The needs are so different, and the better you make a bike for the dirt the worse it is for the street.

As said, the WR250R is a good dual sport with great maintenance intervals. It also only makes about 24 hp at the rear wheel, a stock KDX will beat that easily. And the WRR and WRF share literally nothing for parts. One is an enduro / race bike, the other is a dual sport.

Like I said before, what you intend to do greatly influences bike choise. You want a dirt bike you can ride on the road? Get a plated dirt bike or one of KTMs racier dual sports, but deal with a buzzy ride, lack of comfort at speed, and sometimes very short maintenance intervals. Want a bike for road trips and dirt riding? Then get a low maintenance dual sport with an extra 60-120 lbs of girth. The market covers everything in between as well.

Remember, a good street bike is a terrible dirt bike, and a good dirt bike isn't any good on the street. People need to figure what they need and buy accordingly.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

pphhtt...this is a debate ender :lol: Image
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

adam728 wrote: He said it rules out the heavy WR250R, at 135 kg. The WR250F is not street legal here, although you can add road equipment and plate it in many states.

Dirt vs dual sport is a whole different set of needs. With a strong dirt background I feel like 240 lbs is a heavy bike. In the dual sport world 300 lbs is a feather weight. The needs are so different, and the better you make a bike for the dirt the worse it is for the street.

As said, the WR250R is a good dual sport with great maintenance intervals. It also only makes about 24 hp at the rear wheel, a stock KDX will beat that easily. And the WRR and WRF share literally nothing for parts. One is an enduro / race bike, the other is a dual sport.

Like I said before, what you intend to do greatly influences bike choise. You want a dirt bike you can ride on the road? Get a plated dirt bike or one of KTMs racier dual sports, but deal with a buzzy ride, lack of comfort at speed, and sometimes very short maintenance intervals. Want a bike for road trips and dirt riding? Then get a low maintenance dual sport with an extra 60-120 lbs of girth. The market covers everything in between as well.

Remember, a good street bike is a terrible dirt bike, and a good dirt bike isn't any good on the street. People need to figure what they need and buy accordingly.
Oh! I didn't even know there was an R version. I assumed that R meant Race (like the XRR vs XRL), so if anything, even more aggressive than an F. A sort of midpoint between the F and the YZs... Haha. I've never seen an R here.

I agree that nothing is "perfect". I'm looking to replace two bikes with a single one, but I realize it won't be possible. The KDX is great for the woods, but sucks getting anywhere. A DRZ would be great for some cross-country riding (here, speeds are slower), but just wouldn't cope well in the tight tracks. Hmmm.... KTM is a good idea as they have power AND are lightweight. Maintenance seems to vary. Some say they're really reliable while others have issues. Still, the seats on those bikes would make any type of long-distance riding a nightmare.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Bitteeinit wrote:
adam728 wrote: He said it rules out the heavy WR250R, at 135 kg. The WR250F is not street legal here, although you can add road equipment and plate it in many states.

Oh! I didn't even know there was an R version. I assumed that R meant Race (like the XRR vs XRL), so if anything, even more aggressive than an F. A sort of midpoint between the F and the YZs... Haha. I've never seen an R here.

I agree that nothing is "perfect". I'm looking to replace two bikes with a single one, but I realize it won't be possible. The KDX is great for the woods, but sucks getting anywhere. A DRZ would be great for some cross-country riding (here, speeds are slower), but just wouldn't cope well in the tight tracks. Hmmm.... KTM is a good idea as they have power AND are lightweight. Maintenance seems to vary. Some say they're really reliable while others have issues. Still, the seats on those bikes would make any type of long-distance riding a nightmare.
there are two versions of the F model wr250 also, if you get turned on by it, make sure to get the steel framed one, not the aluminum.

those bikes will straight up rip.

I'm a big fan of the wr250r too. really solid performers in dual sport worlds. there is a second model to this one too.... the wr250X has 17" wheels but everything else is the same. you might not believe how much fun a supermoto is until you ride one.
big stupid grins alllllllll the way home.

just don't get caught mid wheelie