kx500 good price?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

kx500 good price?

Post by KDXohio »

I have the opportunity to buy a kx500 don't really have the money but he's somewhat interested in a full trade for my 96 300ex i've been fixing...
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=14453

So he's asking 600 firm it needs the powervalve cover, radiators, and a silencer. It has the stock silencer but is apparently broken and the radiators on it he said are zip tied on valve cover is just missing. It does run very well according to him

What do you guys think about $600 its an 89'....any other bike and I wouldn't even consider it but 500s never pop up around here and when they do they're usually $2000+ but also usually a 2000+

obviously if he trades for the quad its a no brainer as i only have 388 in that
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kx500 good price?

Post by rbates9 »

I would go take a look at it. I had one a few hours from me a couple years ago that looked pretty good (later 90's if I remember right) and I just never got around to taking the ride out to see it and have wished I had since then. I have heard many people say that they can be great woods bikes with a little work.

Also I don't think much was changed on the 500 for most of the production run.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: kx500 good price?

Post by KDXohio »

Here's what she looks like
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Soooo, you are asking in a Kawasaki based forum if we think you should trade a Honda ATV for a KX500? :doh: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Uh, yeah. I will vote green. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Jason wrote:Soooo, you are asking in a Kawasaki based forum if we think you should trade a Honda ATV for a KX500? :doh: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Uh, yeah. I will vote green. :mrgreen:

Yup!!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

HaHa I did say if he'll trade the bike for the quad its a no brainer lol but he did finally say no he needs cash then he said yes then no again lol so I have someone coming tomorrow to buy the quad for 850 I had to make new seat foam for it tonight which sucked BTW. So Ill sell my 397 dollar honda for 850 and buy the K5 for between 500-600 and have 350-250 for UPGRADES...I mean left over :shock:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

He is holding the bike for me very thankful for that as the K5's usually vanish with 24 hours of being posted!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

So here's what Ive been told about the bike it supposedly has an aftermarket head on it Ive seen people like to put heads on that have a compression release so I'm wondering if it may be one of those...also has a pro circuit expansion chamber cant tell from the pic for sure but possibly aftermarket pegs, looks like aftermarket bars and bark busters if you guys notice anything else just by the pic please let me know much appreciated :lol:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

As long as the rads aren't smashed, they are spendy, and the motor runs well with no signs of leaky seals (coolant in oil, oil getting burned by engine, lean condition, etc) can't go wrong with 5-600!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Awesome thanks he said the rad's are from a different bike and just zip tied to the plastic shrouds but I'm wondering if they may be the right rads just messed up mounts we''ll see I sold that stupid honda this afternoon so I'm getting the K5 tomorrow morning
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Anyone have a good link to a discussion on a KX500AF build I'm curious how much fab work is involved to make it work :neutral:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

UPDATE

Post by KDXohio »

Well guys I went and looked at it today and my god that picture is misleading as ****!

Problems.....

Doesn't run
RTV smeared all over intake boot
Leaky carb
Wrong radiators
Wrong hoses
Rear upper shock mount been re-welded
Can hear the springs bouncing around in the forks
4 wheeler handlebars he kept the nice ones in the pic
Piece of the left case where the clutch cable slides through
Wont shift to first without going to second first and a royal PITA to find neutral and that's without it running!
No air-filter
Missing power-valve cover
Missing piece that the governor lever engages to pull the valve shaft
Was said to have aftermarket head...definitely stock lol
Procircuit expansion chamber been broken in 5 spots and shotty re-weld job also the long piece that runs to the silencer has been chopped
Silencer sticks out like a pair of long tube horn headers on a drag car due to being a "FATBOY" silencer piece of junk
Wrong kick start lever

The good....

Engine was clean...
Had tons of compression...
Good clean trans oil...
Full tank of fresh gas...

That about sums it up I offered him 350 he said 460 I walked....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Well that's a shame. Sounds like you made the right choice though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kx500 good price?

Post by scheckaet »

i'd say good call.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I felt like I left part of my heart there it was so hard to turn away because it'll be years before I get this opportunity again the seller was really nice and extremely honest he was my age and traded a couple bikes for it from a long time family friend that he trusted 110%

He was told it ran great and when it quit raining he'd be able to fire it right up when he got it home....first lie
Was told it needed just the three things, radiators, valve cover and silencer......second lie
Was told as it sits its worth 1200....third lie
and he said the motor itself is an easy sell at 600.....yeah right not without a guarantee it runs great

so as I pointed stuff out I kept apologizing as he got more and more down as i found more I felt bad for making him feel so ripped off :sad:

So it wasnt a wasted trip he needed a carburetor I had and I traded him the carb for a running chainsaw :supz:

told him Id try and trade the saw for a bike and the bike for the K5 then Ill have a hella fun resto project :lol: and expensive but I'd basically have an initial investment of 0$
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I will say this I've made a ton of mistakes buying and selling bikes but even though this bike is "rare" that doesn't make a pile of scrap on wheels worth more because parts for the pile are more expensive due to low supply so a bike that would be worth 12-1500 when finished would probably take 1000+ to get it close to that point absolutely would have been my worst mistake ever.

I mean to get it to a 12-15 bike it would've needed all bearings done frame cleaned up and painted forks rebuilt for sure new plastics engine stripped entirely for inspection and rebuild especially with the missing air-filter and that would just be the bare minimum!

I do still want the bike just much much cheaper like 100$ or less lol