Picked up project bike #16, a 1980 IT175

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I've heard pretty good stuff about the old yamaha ITs, one thing I especially like is how simple these bikes are in design. Another thing, these bikes are friggin tanks! I've heard they're reliable too. Anyway I picked it up this morning, saw the post on craigslist an hour before and went after it. Now I'm the 3rd owner, I've got the title, and this bike was said to run before it was put in storage for 7 years. Best thing, I got it for $250 :mrgreen: I've worked on 15 other bikes prior to this one in the past 2.5 years, all much newer too, but for some reason this bike has me more excited than the others
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Picked up project bike #16, a 1980 IT175

Post by diymirage »

sjaweet
any chance it is plated?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
CrashAlonis
Supporting Member

Post by CrashAlonis »

I had one loved it you are right they are tanks...
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

nope, its never been plated, but I'm sure itll make one heck of a play bike!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I got it to run yesterday, haven't even put $100 in it! New chain, grips, fuel filter, air filter, and fork seals and of course fresh fluids, and LOTS of clean-up. I like this bike! Has that typical "IT rattle" in the top end. And the clutch slips when I really roll on the throttle, but I think its because the oil that was in it for 8 years looked like mud and is still on those plates. A working headlight would've been nice if it came with one, decent ones on eBay are pricey! Its a bummer how nearly 75% of the parts for this bike are discontinued
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Here's some pics right after I unloaded it from my truck

I still need to rebuild the forks, replace the exhaust gasket, and fix up the shifter. I'm debating on cleaning up the tank or leaving it faded with that old yamaha decal on it. I haven't taken any recent photos with the bike washed, it looks way cleaner now
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Love it! I remember drooling all over these at the local Yamaha dealership when I was a kid. I'm always watching CL for a good one become available but so far I haven't had much luck. I also like the Suzuki PE from around the same era but they seem to be even harder to find. Please keep us posted on your progress.

By the way, if you can't find a good factory headlight bucket you might consider an Acerbis Elba. They pop up on Ebay from time to time and would look correct and sexy as hell on the bike.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I've liked the old ITs since I started looking into KDXs, and like you Ive been on CL waiting for a good deal for one to pop up and I was very fortunate that this was not even 5 miles away from me :grin: and I like the look of the acerbis elba and was considering putting one on my KDX before I found a good deal on the twins that are on it now, but I completely agree that it would look pretty sweet on this bike, actually yesterday I was hunting ebay for one!

as for the bike, I pulled the front end apart, cleaned and greased the triple tree bearings and once it was cleaned up the bearings and the races looked brand new, didn't even need a wire brush. To my surprise the oil inside the forks was fresh, not even a hint of blackness in it, as if it were put in a few days ago. The dust seals looked like they'd be a pain to try to get off, so I used my seal mate through the dust seal to clean out the fork seals. Doesn't seem to leak anymore, but if they do blow out at some point I have new ones on hand. The front brake shoes and inside the hub are in very good shape. Went to inspect and clean the clutch plates and basket, the fingers are a lil notched but not enough for me to pull it out and file 'em. Didn't measure the thickness of the clutch fibers, but from the looks of it they're a lil worn, one side a little more than the other. I flipped them upon install and I'll see if this helps with the clutch slippage. Haven't ridden the bike yet, had to call quits to make the last showing for the night for Fast 6 with a couple buddies :grin: can't believe there's gonna be a 7th one
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

While you've got it apart, knock those steering head bearing races out and rotate them 90 degrees. They will work like new.

What is the plan? Are you just going to make it rideable or are you going to do a complete service?

Keep us posted on your progress and don't forget pics!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

yup, already got that covered, except I didn't rotate the bottom bearing thats pressed into the stem. They worked great before, but they needed cleaning and they work better now. I'm looking into a complete service of the bike, there isnt much to it and I've already covered 75% of the bike. Now I need to inspect the swingarm bearings and rear wheel bearings and brakes. Both the front and rear wheels dont have any play to them so I know the bearings aren't toast, but it doesnt hurt to clean 'em up and re-grease them. I'm really considering putting a headlight on it and a new harness (the one on it has the knobs broken off, I guess I could improvise something) and try to get running lights again, since I'm thinking about keeping this one for a little while
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Sounds like a plan. If you take the time to fully disassemble the bike you'll be very pleased with the results. It sounds like the motor is in good shape but you still need to split the cases and inspect everything and install new seals and gaskets. You'll never have to touch it again if you get it right and that little motor will run great.

What's the story on the shock? Is it rebuildable? Remote reservoir?

We need lots of pics.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Im not sure if Im willing to split the cases, this is going to be a play / buddy bike where everything works great but within budget. If something isn't broken or needing attention, I'm not gonna bother with it because chances are that they are still in great shape, the transmission gears and shift drums and forks for example. I dont know the condition of the main seals and bearings. It just seems like a lot of effort on something I know I wont get my money back with when it comes time to selling it, although I might change my mind and I could be wrong. The motor doesnt appear to be leaking anywhere besides the worn exhaust gasket.

The shock IS rebuildable, although parts for it have long been discontinued. Mine works great and the adjuster at the shock base works, except for when I want to soften the shock and back out the adjusting nut it doesnt click, I dont know if its supposed to be like that or not. It has a remote reservoir that is located at the front of the frame, under the gas tank next to the exhaust pipe. Id like to change out the shock fluid and replace the shock seal while Im at it (shock seals are still available on ebay) but Im sure Ill find worn bushings and such that are no longer made

I forgot to take pics while the whole bike was apart, but I can try to get some tomorrow while its all in one piece and semi-clean
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Hmm, if thats the case I bet I could get $1000 out of mine if I clean it up and make the lights work, just depends who's in the market for a nice vintage enduro here in Houston. I found new tank decals for this bike on ebay, so I guess this means the old ones are gonna go and the tank is getting cleaned up pretty soon. Found an acerbis elba headlight for $50, not in the best shape but I can make it work. Im really excited how this bike will turn out once its complete :grin:
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Still looks the same, just a lot cleaner. Also I lowered the front forks in the triple trees, making it about an inch taller in the front:

Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Very nice. It's gonna look great with the Elba.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

here's a vid, the grass in the bayou is pretty high at the moment so I could only go slow around the block

[youtube][/youtube]
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Looks great!

You could try having a vinyl shop reproduce the tank sticker. Make sure they put holes in it for the gas vapor to escape.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Nice!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

gsa102 wrote:Looks great!

You could try having a vinyl shop reproduce the tank sticker. Make sure they put holes in it for the gas vapor to escape.

there is a set of proper stripes on the bay for about 29 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1980-IT1 ... 80&vxp=mtr
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike