XR600 Opinions

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

XR600 Opinions

Post by Tyl3r »

So, I bought a KFX400 off of a buddy of mine a little while back for a good price. I'm thinking of selling it now because I don't need two quads. I really want to replace it with a dual sport. I have been looking at all kinds of things from KLX's DRZ's, XR's, WR's...i'm not too particular really, just wanted to stay in the 400 range.

Well, a 2000 XR600 popped on for sale on my local C-list. It looks to be only set up for the dirt right now, but states that it has a MC title, so getting a plate for the road won't be a problem. It looks pretty sweet, and he may be interested in a straight trade. Bike looks super clean, powder coated frame, clean looking motor, oversize tank, yada yada yada.

I've read and heard a lot about the XR650's and know they are solid bikes. I don't know much about the 600's though. Are they good, solid bikes as well? Any drawbacks? I mean its an air-cooled, stupid simple Honda, its gotta be good...right?
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: XR600 Opinions

Post by Friedom »

Hey Tyl3r,

This is predominately a kdx forum, but as I own two KDXs and just backed out of buying an xr650r, I might be qualified to help answer your question.
The xr650r is a very different machine altogether - aluminum frame, water cooled, better suspension, different bike. The xr650L however, is the successor to the xr600. Air cooled thumper.
As for your xr6 in question, they're all pretty similar, but around 91 got upgraded to disc brake rear and iirc better suspension. 87/88 Era models had twin carbs. Some say they're a pain, others swear by them as they can feed a seriously built engine.
All in all, as you said, they're Honda air cooled thumpers, and are generally pretty good bikes. You'll have fun on one for sure, but some seat time is probably the only way for you to determine if it's right for you.
Good luck.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Friedom wrote:This is predominately a kdx forum

What gave you that idea? :butthead: Hahahaha

I've did some reading earlier on the 600 vs. 650 differences. The 650 is definitely more desirable, but the 600 seems pretty sweet to me as well. Being the 2000 was the last production year for the 600's, it does have the better suspension and disc brakes.

The seat time thing goes with any bike, IMO.

I was hoping to get feedback from someone who owns one, has owned one, knows someone that owned one, has ridden one, has worked on one etc...
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Tyl3r wrote:
Friedom wrote:This is predominately a kdx forum

What gave you that idea? :butthead: Hahahaha

I've did some reading earlier on the 600 vs. 650 differences. The 650 is definitely more desirable, but the 600 seems pretty sweet to me as well. Being the 2000 was the last production year for the 600's, it does have the better suspension and disc brakes.

The seat time thing goes with any bike, IMO.

I was hoping to get feedback from someone who owns one, has owned one, knows someone that owned one, has ridden one, has worked on one etc...
I should have checked your post count first, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Where in SW penna? I grew up in Washington Co, and sometimes miss the ever green, lush environment. It's quite a difference from the Sonoran Desert.
I owned an xr400, and it was a solid bike. The extra oomph of the 600 would be fun, and I've always loved the look of them. If I were to get another bike though, it would be an xr6 (for the simplicity of air cooled) or a 650r for the monstrous power that they're notorious for.
I guess all the useless info I have to offer. Hah.
They're good bikes.

"Good job, guys. "
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

XR600 Opinions

Post by osobad »

most xr600 were kick start I believe had 650 very fun bike but there called BRP (Big Red Pigs) for a reason
chippy

XR600 Opinions

Post by chippy »

Great bike! Rode them for years. Virtually indestructible, USEABLE power, and roll through the rocks like none other. Just ask Scott Summers! Personally, I prefer the 600 over the 650. Learn how to start it ( there is a definite routine) and put on a set of handle bar risers if you like to ride standing. In stock form the bar bend is much better for sitting. The only real issue I can think of is that they are prone to stator failure if you cover up the engine with a full skid plate. Leave the stock engine protection ( tube type) on and all is well. If it's in good condition, I would grab it up fast!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well thank you for the input guys, much appreciated, as always. I think I may take some time to think about this some more. They are pretty big bikes, and I'm not a very big person. Riding on the road would be no problem, but I'd rather be lugging around a 400 than a 600 when I went in the woods. I think I'm going to try mainly look for a DRZ400 for a KLX400... would really like to find a KLX and have it match the hybrid! :hmm: :drool: this one is looking pretty tempting if it also comes with the stock wheels and tires... http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/5641788624.html

Friedom, it is funny you say that, I too grew up in Washington County and still live there! What whereabouts did you ride at growing up? I mainly ride trails in the Houston/ Washington Area
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Tyl3r wrote:

Friedom, it is funny you say that, I too grew up in Washington County and still live there! What whereabouts did you ride at growing up? I mainly ride trails in the Houston/ Washington Area
What? That's amazing. I grew up in Canonsburg, Cecil and Eighty Four. Riding was in Eighty Four on trails I could find. A friend took me to a huge riding area once. No idea where it was, but I buried my first bike in a puddle there. Train tracks, woods, hills, a stream, lots of 4x4 trails.
Very specific, I know :)

"Good job, guys. "
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

No kidding haha my old man grew up riding in 84, lived on Patterson Rd. Small world on the ol interwebs!

I wonder what trails you could have been at... wondering if I ride them today!
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

The ones in Eighty Four were behind/ beside the ball fields on 519. Only time I ever rode with a passenger, had a cute friend, she hopped on with me, wrapped her arms around me and I felt like a super hero while she laughed the whole way.

"Good job, guys. "