Sold my KDX, opinions wanted on the next ride...

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I had a friend call me up wanting to buy my bike, and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I'm debating whether or not I want to get another bike or maybe get a sport quad this time around. I've had a couple of each in the past and like both but I'm leaning more toward another bike. Selling my bike was kind of an impulse decision but I don't regret it. I've had two KDX220's within the last year and a half and while I liked them (and still do), I also like trying different things. We only live once right? :cool:

This time around I have only two things that are must haves for me: electric start and a 4 stroke. If you were in the market for a bike and had a budget around $2k what would you be looking at? I don't have any interest in riding tracks I'm just a casual trail rider. I've had an XR400 in the the past and I liked the power delivery, but it could be a real pain to start. The KDX was a good choice for my riding style, and I guess I'm looking for it's 4 stroke e-start equivalent.

If I do decide I want to go with 4 wheels this time I'm considering a 400EX or an LTZ/KFX 400.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Sold my KDX, opinions wanted on the next ride...

Post by Jaguar »

You let a KDX go so you could switch to a 4 stroke?!!
I don't understand that but I'm not an open minded person when it comes to 4 strokes. I had a XL250R before owning a KDX200 and the KDX was way better on the trails. But then again maybe the newer/expensive 4 strokes are lighter and stronger.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I assume you would want a modern 4T as not much point to an older one, unless it's pure curiosity over performance. None of the older options are as good as the KDX IMO.

However, finding one with an E-start under $2k will be a challenge. I can't think of one I would take over the KDX. If the budget was higher (like double) you would have a few more options.

Maybe others are more familiar with possible options for $2k than me, but seems a tall order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

I would think you would like a Honda CRF, being they are 4 stroke and e-start, but I agree with Sullyfam, you're going to have to spend some more coin. We had one KDX, and upon looking for a second bike, I wanted to be ideally around $2,500, but would have gone up to 3k. After tons of reading, everything that was comparable was more money, and less bike, in one way or another, to the KDX H-series.

I now own two KDX's!

If you go quad, I've liked all my 400EX's, but I've learned I'm a bike guy.

I'm a curious guy too, let us know what you decide!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

With that said, you get up around $3,500 and up, and you can get a bike I feel would beat the KDX all around.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

A lot of guys like the WR's...ive considered them too in the past. Either one of those of a YZ250f

I always liked the CRF250f's, but all of my buddies that have them complain about difficulty starting them, and the valves constantly needing adjusted.

I dont know if you'd rather be on the 250 or 450 side of things, being a smaller guy, I'm a rag doll on a 450, I dont really consider them for myself.

For the 400ex vs. Z400... I have one thing to say, but you may already know it. I have a 400ex and several of my buddies have Z's... I beat the snot out of my 400ex every weekend. I just keep air in the tires, make sure it has oil (change twice a year), and keep the chain lubed. It NEVER gives me problems. I occasionally have to adjust the valves (2-3 times a year), but it takes an hour from the time i start to the time its back together and doesnt need any shims. I absolutely love it.

The Z400 without a doubt has more power and is air cooled. But... they have issues starting once the valves start to go out of adjustment, the chain adjuster is more prone to failure, they are more expensive, valve adjustments are a lot more complicated and require shims... i dunno, always they seem to always have a little problem. I feel like i've towed z400's out of the woods more times than I can count. The only time I've ever needed pulled out of the woods on my 400ex was after I rolled it several times and couldn't get it started again (it was just flooded).

They are both awesome quads. I think that choice depends on how much money you want to spend (in purchase and ownership). The 400ex is cheaper and easier to own in my opinion. As long as you know how to ride the thing, the small additional amount of power from the Z is almost negligible... just makes wheelies a little easier lol
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm wiling to go up some on the budget but I've got some projects around the house and I'm on a budget lol.

I know the KDX is a good bike, I just was getting bored with it. I don't mean that to sound like it was the bike's fault I just want something different. I really intended to keep this bike but I had it in the back of my mind I was ready for a change and then my buddy called me up with cash in hand.

I'm 6' 210lbs. The KDX was plenty for me power wise. I don't know if i want a modern 4 stroke because of the potential for expensive issues. I realize that anything with a motor has a chance of something expensive breaking. I think a WR250f might be a good candidate for a bike if I go that route, but the previously mentioned issues have me a little worried. I've decided that if I get a quad though it will be a 400EX. Most of my riding buddies ride quads, and sometimes it's not much fun being the only bike. With that said I have friends with dirtbikes too, and my son rides a dirtbike so I don't know what I'll do.

I'll keep this updated as to what I end up with.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Have you thought about the KLX300? You can find them in your price range but no electric start. They are not high strung so valves and other common MX 4T bike issues normally aren't a problem. However, just like the KDX, they need a few mods to really get the best out of them. I have actually thought about getting myself one just so I can use it as a lightweight dual-sport bike.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The CRF250X is an under-appreciated model (like the KDX) with electric start and really good suspension, could maybe be had in your price range. Really easy to hop up with just a CRF250R cam. I would get one myself if I found a deal on one, but would have to sell the KDX or buy a diamond ring.

Two rules for a 4t: keep the air filter clean, change the oil often. They will last a very long time if you do both. A lot of people don't.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

4 stroke (check)
estart (check)
2 grand (not happening, nope)

you can have two of those, but not all three. i would suggest a xr400 and deal with the kicker, or learn to point it downhill when you stop.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I found a pretty nice looking drz400e for under $2000, but I'm pretty sure it's already gone.

I have seen CRF250X's and WR250F's in my price range as well. I'm willing to stretch the budget too. I had an XR400 before and really liked the simplicity of it and and torque. Mine was easy to start hot or cold, unless I dropped it. Then it was a 20 minute ordeal.

With that said if I found a clean one within my budget I'd probably jump on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The DRZ is nice for lite dual sport work, not so much on the trails. If you are looking for a trail ride, wr250 is probably the way to go. Anything under 2k is almost certainly going to be a timebomb. For that budget, you are definitely better off with a 2 stroke. If you want something more exciting, an older yz250 with a suspension revalve and FWW makes a super fun trail ride.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

My impression is that either a WR250F or a CRF250X would not be popular with most racers or kids that want to go fast, and are more likely to be in better condition than their MX counterparts. If you found one owned by an older trail rider since it was new, you should be able to trust it.

I have always favored blue, but I would pick the red one if I was going to get one of the two used.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

you could get a decent wr250f for about 2500 or even a crf250x both are good bikes. They can be really improved with minor mods. Wr will have a better valve train though. I had an 07 with 290 kit that was unreal and so much fun. Wish I had never got rid of it. Favorite offroad bike ever for me. The wr didn't have electric start until I believe 03 and 05 and older are a little tall. If getting a Honda older than 06 have the valve seats replaced and kibble white valves and you are good to go
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I got a 2005 wr450f about two months ago after selling my 93 KDX. I was in the same predicament as you and narrowed it down to the WR for several personal reasons. The next step was determining if I wanted a 250 or a 450. I ended up going for the 450 mainly because I liked the guy selling it more.

Here are my thoughts:
1-After the first ride I didn't like the bike. Felt heavy and clumsy. Acceleration felt slower than the KDX, and I'd say I was slower on it.
2-Second ride out I liked it way more than the first. Got used to the 4 stroke feel again and a big change of heart occurs when I approached a big awkward bump at full speed with no time to adjust my line and I braced for "impact". To my surprise, I just glided over it, whereas I would have hurt my forearms and triceps on the KDX. The same ride I noticed I could ride over very bumpy terrain (dried out lake with cow tracks) which I normally couldn't ride over on the KDX. I still find the WR a bit unstable at speed, but that's probably because my forks are still around 12mm lower, and I haven't changed the fork oil since I've bought it. Also, I had RC high bars on the KDX which are way wider and straighter than the bars I have on the WR, which are better for tighter stuff.
3-Third ride I fell in love. Lot's of torque, no premixing, decent mileage, wheelie all day (I need tons of practice) and so on.

Basically, the 450 feels a bit slow at times, but that's because you really need to wack the throttle open. It feels heavier, but not too heavy on my mind. The rear doesn't slide out as much as the KDX did, which is both good and bad. I feels way more stable and planted than the KDX in sandy trails and other stuff, but not as flickable. Also, little can replace the quick throttle response of a 2 stroke right below or on the powerband. Or the sound... However, the 450 does sound awesome in a different way (and I now wear earplugs, which I should have started doing years ago). You have to remember it's still 90% rider, but newer technology and better parts availability is nice to have. The seat isn't as nice as the KDX's, and sometimes riding a weaker machine full on feels more fun than a strong machine at 60%.

I tried out some 250s and they feel great too. Nice acceleration but it feels like they've got no torque, especially compared to the 450 which is so full of it. Basically climbs trees if you want it to. I'm happy with my choice for now. DRZ is a way better dual sport, but way heavier than a WR or even an XR 400.

Figure out what you'll use the bike for (and be honest with yourself), then take it from there.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have a buddy on a late model wr450. He's a better rider than me, but I still love to laugh at him trying to get that beast through the single track that my lil' KDX kicks his ass through. By the end of the day, he's sweating, cussing, and tired, and I'm ready to go another loop.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

It's definitely not built for the really tight single track. That's not what it was engineered for. You can take it there, but it won't shine. The 250 would be better suited. I heard about people being exhausted after a ride, and it kind of worried me at first as it IS way less nimble than the 250 when turning. However, I can't say I've noticed the exhausting part. If anything, he suspension helps, though it IS much less flickable than a KDX, not so much because of the weight difference (here isn't much of one), but because of the extra rotational mass. Still, I'm not any more tired on it after a day of riding than I was in the KDX or other bikes. Keep in mind that I'm 6'5" and pretty strong, so a shorter rider might have different issues.

It boils down to what you intend to do with the bike. You need to be honest and choose what's best for your situation, as no one bike can do it all well.

I do think I enjoyed the KDX more in sitting conditions, when leaning into corners on those tight, flowing single tracks which don't have too many bumps or ruts (2nd gear or low third). However, at higher speeds (either more open single track or double lanes) or rocky, mountainous terrain, I'd say the WR shines. It's versatile enough for me as I have to ride bigger tracks to reach the single tracks. I also think the better mileage and no premixing was a deciding factor for me. I still love the KDX though, there's just something about being in 2nd and hitting the powerband when getting out of corners, or going in full out third in more open tracks that was awesome. Also, I really liked the rear shock. Plush... I need to tune in the WR a bit.

Oh, one thing I always found strange om the KDX was the wide turning radius (because of the steep fork angle). Made turning around on a tight track hell, and turning right spots rather difficult. Weirdly enough, I actually find the 450 way better in that regard.
Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk