98 cr250 what is required to make it a trail bike

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
actmobmar
Supporting Member

Post by actmobmar »

My 18 yr old son currently has a drz400s, went trail riding this weekend and the drz is horrible! Went to croom, a lot of woops and soft pack and sand, he ate a lot of dirt. On the end of the first day he didn't want to ride anymore, so I switched bikes with him and let him ride my kdx200, he loved it rode it the rest of the weekend, I rode the drz400 once and didn't ride again, doesn't track well and is too heavy. Drz is up for sale! Anyway, my friend has a super clean 98 cr250 that just had the top end done and new clutch, for 1400$. What is required to make it a trail bike? I am amateur to mild intermediate. Ride sand, mud, soft pack and woops. May one day do a hare scrambles. Bike already has fmf pipe and silencer. I am going to ride it and give him my kdx. Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 98 cr250 what is required to make it a trail bike

Post by Julien D »

A flywheel weight and suspension tune for woods would be a good start. Being a 250 MX bike, it is going to be a bit much to handle in certain situations no matter what you do, but with those changes it will still be good fun.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Don't buy the CR, buy another KDX. (Or another fairly modern bike that was designed for woods riding, not motocross. XR, WR, RMX are some to think about.)
Last edited by Jim B on 11:26 pm Jan 20 2017, edited 1 time in total.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

first generation Honda aluminum frame bikes just plain suck in the handling department. While the motor can be made more woods friendly the frames are just unforgiving and to stiff. I am familiar with Crooms ,was riding the mountain bike there this Sunday . Forgot they had the endure going on. Do your self a favor and pass on the 98 cr
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

[quote="osobad"]first generation Honda aluminum frame bikes just plain suck in the handling department. While the motor can be made more woods friendly the frames are just unforgiving and to stiff. I am familiar with Crooms ,was riding the mountain bike there this Sunday . Forgot they had the endure going on. Do your self a favor and pass on the 98 cr[/quote

What he said. :snooty:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Very valid point about the rigidity of that frame. Not going to make a very comfy ride for a day of trail busting.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I was going to say put the motor in a KDX frame :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

6 Riders wrote:I was going to say put the motor in a KDX frame :lol:
I've got a 2001 CR250 and the motor (as well as the chassis) isn't very good in the woods. Not much bottom end followed by a BIG midrange hit. Makes it a bit difficult to get through the whoops smoothly... :doh:

I know it can be done if you spend enough money, but I'm kinda over the whole "turn an MX bike into a woods bike" thing. I could add a flywheel weight, lighting, kickstand, lower gearing, softer suspension, etc. to the CR, but why bother? My 220 already has all those things. :supz:
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

there are mx bikes that can be made into great woods bike (YZ). but first gen Hondas are very though