Picked up a 98 RM250

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by KDXohio »

1998 Suzuki RM250 I sold the ktm i had been working on and used the profit to buy this.

Previous owner just did the top end put all new plastics on and graphics new brakes and chain it has an fmf fatty pipe fmf shorty silencer billet upper tripple clamp pro taper bars and pretty good tires. He rode it for an hour and changed the transmission oil, and broke the right case when he put the drain plug back in. He put jb weld on it so the drain plug would stay in and he could put oil in it to show it ran but was very honest about the whole situation picked it up for 500$ and it screams! I think Ill buy the cases and replace them over the winter.

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by canamfan »

Those are good machines. If you need an oversize tank I just bought one used for a 250 to put on my 99 125 and it won't work without too many mods to the frame. I think it's an IMS probably I little over 3 gals.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by Actionman »

I looked at a 98 rm250 last night lol. It was a mess though. Those 98's were great bikes.
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by KDXohio »

canamfan wrote: If you need an oversize tank
Thanks i will keep that in mind typically i dont ride long enough to even use 1 gallon unfortunately :cry:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Jim B

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by Jim B »

KDXohio wrote:Previous owner just did the top end...
KDXohio wrote:He rode it for an hour and changed the transmission oil, and broke the right case when he put the drain plug back in. He put jb weld on it so the drain plug would stay in and he could put oil in it to show it ran but was very honest about the whole situation picked it up for 500$ and it screams! I think Ill buy the cases and replace them over the winter.
Any chance you can have it welded? (Even if you have to take the engine out of the frame.)

With the PO's lack of drain plug installation skills, you might want to have a look at that top end work he did. :rolleyes: :naughty:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by KDXohio »

With the PO's lack of drain plug installation skills, you might want to have a look at that top end work he did. :rolleyes: :naughty:[/quote]

Haha true that! :partyman:

I could probably have it welded i really hadnt thought about that i had been considering brazing it
Jim B

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by Jim B »

KDXohio wrote:I could probably have it welded i really hadnt thought about that i had been considering brazing it
I think a good weldor could get you fixed up, even if it winds up not being the prettiest repair ever done.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

what about finding a slightly larger drain plug, drill out the hole and tap it to match the new plug?
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Jaguar wrote:what about finding a slightly larger drain plug, drill out the hole and tap it to match the new plug?
The case protrudes out when he over tightened the plug it broke a chunk off the protrusion :doh:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by KDXohio »

Got a chance to inspect the rest of the bike and put fresh mixed fuel in it...Call me crazy :rolleyes: but I never trust the previous owners fuel when I buy a 2 stroke I aaaaalways drain it and use it for my mowers :lol: :lol:
Anyways I warmed it up and took a quick ride around the neighborhood I opened it up more than I had before and it falls on its face when it hits its bright yellow powerband :cry:

Checked the powervalve adjustment and it was not tensioned at all :doh:
Jim B wrote:
KDXohio wrote:With the PO's lack of drain plug installation skills, you might want to have a look at that top end work he did. :rolleyes: :naughty:
After finding the power-valve un-tensioned yes I'm thinking its time to check this top end job :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did do a compression test and 3 or 4 kicks 180psi
Last edited by KDXohio on 08:30 pm Aug 28 2015, edited 1 time in total.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by KDXohio »

After finding the power-valve un-tensioned yes I'm thinking its time to check this top end job :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did do a compression test and 3 or 4 kicks 180psi[/quote]

Quoting myself ^
I ran back out and pulled the carb, reed cage and pipe to get a good feel for how she looked inside... :hmm:
Took me second to notice but I may have found my issue... :lol: :lol:
Way to go PO :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Last edited by KDXohio on 08:28 pm Aug 28 2015, edited 1 time in total.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Gasket its supposed to have notice the intake notches
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

This is the other gasket listed on the suzuki diagram but it clearly says for model X meaning rm250x
I believe this is the gasket currently installed
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by Dekon »

Was the PO a NASCAR chew chief? Looks like he was using that gasket as a restrictor plate. Hope that is what turns out to be your problem.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Told ya! Sounds like you're getting it all squared away. :supz:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The base gasket finally came!
Stripped it down after work tonight and put it back together with the correct gasket..This bike is super easy to work on got the top end off, power-valve cleaned and all reassembled in about an hour! :partyman:
I have some pictures I'll post as soon as I get them on the computer. So far a quick ride around the block I saw mostly blue sky but couldn't wind it up too much with kids out playing :shock:
Will update as soon as I get it in the woods
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Picture below the rear cooling passages were completely blocked off when the cylinder was installed I'm amazed the intake side of the piston isnt melted away!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

KDXohio wrote:Image
Why, that's the oldest-looking "new" piston I've ever seen. :rolleyes:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Why, that's the oldest-looking "new" piston I've ever seen. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Wouldve replaced it if it didnt have 180psi of compression
RustyStuff

Picked up a 98 RM250

Post by RustyStuff »

Whoah.

That's a whole dump truck of stupid right there.

Did he even look at the gasket before he put it on? He could have at least cut the unneeded bits off if he was in such a big hurry to put it together.