Wow...basically a two-stroke XR?

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

This may be my dream "ride with the wife and kids bike." Fun when slow. Reading this, all I can think is, "shut up and take my money."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/55/25657/ ... -Ride.aspx

It looks like Beta may be attempting to step into the void that Honda and Kawasaki left when the XR and KDX went bye-bye. What do you folks think?
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Wow...basically a two-stroke XR?

Post by ohgood »

dingerjunkie wrote:This may be my dream "ride with the wife and kids bike." Fun when slow. Reading this, all I can think is, "shut up and take my money."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/55/25657/ ... -Ride.aspx

It looks like Beta may be attempting to step into the void that Honda and Kawasaki left when the XR and KDX went bye-bye. What do you folks think?
price of admission is the only downfall. awesome bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, there have been a couple threads on this. Feedback has been good. Personally, I love it! Probably one of the few machines that would get me away from my KDX, if I could afford to buy and maintain it.
koshari

Post by koshari »

Oil injection .....no thanks.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

The oil injection is one of the things that puts it in the realm of the XR...the kind of bike you never lay a wrench on for twenty years and can't screw up.

Actually, I am really hoping that Beta and KTM follow the lead of OSSA and decide to offer FICT-style direct injection of fuel and oil...just get rid of the tuning component completely outside of chamber options. Probably not what I'd choose for my aggressive bike, but definitely what I'd desire for my "play with the family" bike.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
sir phily

Post by sir phily »

What he said :bravo:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

My family still has my 1981 yamaha mx 100 with oil injection, which works perfectly. I need to shoehorn that into a kx 85 frame, for an awesome pit bike.

That new Beta would be sweet.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I've burned down about a dozen sled engines(LOL), from 70's to 90's, and none of them were due to oil pump failure :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Oil injection still works great on my 73 f-11
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

I had several Kawasaki's with oil injection, and several Suzuki's , best thing since sliced bread, wish the KDX had it. Oh yeah that Beta looks awesome.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

my 200SR used oil injection till I stopped using it after the pump stopped and caused an engine seizure.

This new Beta is for kids and women, not seasoned riders. a good beginners bike, nothing more.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I've been following the Freeride info closely and I think the Beta would make a better bike with it's more serious amenities.

All of the '16 Beta 2-strokes will be oil injection. I don't think it's going to be a big deal and my guess is that all 2-strokes will be injection in a few years.

I'm a bit confused by theses Freerides though. A very torque oriented motor suited for tight woods, light weight, not so great suspension and brakes, not so comfy ergos. Isn't that really close to a KDX? The KDX doesn't have the light weight , but it's got comfy covered and the motor is about perfect for tight woods.
A lot cheaper too :cool:
'
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

I agree the Xtrainer looks the better choice. Both the Freeride and Xtrainer look like all day grins in the woods though. Think kdx, with buckets more low end torque.
I don't like some of the issues the freeride has had, and the lack of power valves really puts a lid on its overall performance. And way overpriced... But the light weight, torque, and good ground clearance are appealing. The xtrainer's 8'th place finish at Hell's Gate should be enough to dispel any notions that it's for beginners only, looks like a great technical woods bike to me, especially for anyone with a shorter inseam.
Really though, how could you do any better than the 250rr and 300rr? Relatively low seat, and a woods focused power delivery and handling.

My only concerns with the oil injection are being limited to these very light injection approved oils, and the 60/1 ratio. I'd want a more substantial oil coating my crank and rod bearings. I'd want to find a compatible, heavier oil for the tank to supplement the injected oil.