Let's talk RMX's

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by kawagumby »

Hey,
I have a 92 RMX that I've completely rebuilt with some mod's - and it's plated in CA. It has DRZ400 cartridge forks (they work excellent), a 97 head (why? I don't know), 94 replated cylinder with RM gaskets. FMF exhaust. Pretty fast bike that handles well. With stock gearing it cruises at about 55 MPH at about 6200 rpm. It gets a lot of looks from just about everyone, including the police.
Anyone else have an RMX...? How about some pictures?

Here's mine:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Let's talk RMX's

Post by Julien D »

Very nice. I've always wanted one, never had one.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Let's talk RMX's

Post by s10gto »

Very nice! A friend of mine had a 96. Very powerful machines.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Take a look at the RMX engine mod suggestions at the last page of this: http://www.goforwardmotion.com/pdf/mode ... Suzuki.pdf
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

The rm of those style are my literal dream bike. Still look modern almost 25 years later. One was for sale for $300 two weeks ago here but was a mess. Parts availability scared me away.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice!! :partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by dingerjunkie »

That is a motorcycle I'd love to own...if it were built recently enough to ensure quality parts support for a while...beautiful, but...
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Let's talk RMX's

Post by ohgood »

thats beautiful man !

i don't have one, but this weekend we're having a 'getting to know you' session with a rmx250. six guys will be beating on it for an upcoming 24hour race... so i'll have a pretty good idea what it's like after that :supz:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by kawagumby »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This bike was fun to rebuild...it's heavier than a KDX, I'd say about 10-12 lbs, but you don't notice it riding.
C'mon...somebody out there must have one too! LOL...
dingerjunkie wrote:That is a motorcycle I'd love to own...if it were built recently enough to ensure quality parts support for a while...beautiful, but...
Here's the thing, the bike shares a lot of parts with RM's and good ol ebay has parts that seem to be cheaper than parts for KDX's (rear wheels come to mind, for example). Wear parts like all the bearings, gaskets, pistons, brake pads, etc are all still sold by the major parts outfits, I lucked out and found another fairly low time RMX for a parts bike cheap, so I'm set if things go wrong, crash-wise.
I was also able to buy all new plastics - so parts really aren't an issue. I bought a new kick-stand and kick-starter and both were still manufactured by Suzuki - I'm guessing other bikes share the same parts.

This bike is a great performer, and just like a KDX, it is still a competitive machine compared to current bikes, but does things differently. The KDX is a quicker handling machine for tighter trails, this bike is more powerful but still works the tight very well (it makes for a better dual-sport platform, IMO).

-
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I have Yamahas version. The later year RMX's built after the Yami WR went 4-T, like 98-99 are probably the best enduro bikes to ever come out of Japan. Torquey engines, showa conventionals, slim/large tank, modern ergos.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have one, a 95 that I am currently resurrecting from the dead. Up to 95 you can use just about all the parts from the 89-92 RM250s, including plastics and tanks. I got this one in sad shape along with 2 spare RM frames (a 94 and a 92) and a couple boxes of parts along with another complete 92 RM250 motor that needs rebuilt. Pretty much just built it back to stock with the exception of an FMF spark arrestor and some new graphics. Just waiting on a carb float gasket and it'll be back on the trail. Have some pics of the rebuild, but didn't keep track like my KX build. It's current state is:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by kawagumby »

Nice looking bike!
I'm still working on the jetting for mine. It has the old mikuni flat slide that works well, (the early kiehin that came out in the later versions had problems, most guys switch those to pwk's) but the previous owner had things messed up pretty good, different slide, needle, etc and was too lean. On the hiway it cruises at about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and that is a tough area to get dialed in perfectly. On the trails the jetting seems perfect - I may even custom alter the needle (as I've done on my KDX220 when I could not find a needle that worked with my RB modified striker).

These bike haul arse! Really good torque right off bottom, but smooth without a hit to a powerful rev-out. The suspension is great too, one of the best I've come across with little modding needed (using DRZ400 forks with slightly different tuning). Very fun to gas it hard and go fast in the woods and it's not prone to blow out the rear in bad traction in technical areas. You can torque through stuff that even a strong 220 can't handle.

The more I tweak it the more I like it. Get that bike running, you'll see what I mean! :mrgreen:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Thanks, yeah I can't wait to get it on the trail. I have a PWK36, but think I'll keep an eye out for a 39 for this bike, that seems to be a good upgrade from what little info there is on the net about these bikes. The only other big change I want to make is the rear wheel. I got it with a 19" RM wheel so keeping my eyes out for an 18"er. Started out as a bike for my sons to fight over, but if it rides like everything I've read they may be fighting over the KDX Hybrid lol. The rebuild thread is HERE. I haven't kept it too updated, but you get an idea of how it started.
Where did you find a seat cover? THe Ceet one I have is crap. Your's is so much cleaner now I'm feeling like I need to tear it back down and give it a little more love :oops: Great looking bike.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by kawagumby »

The bike came with that seat cover, but it was poorly installed. What I did was take the cover off, cleaned it up (I had to repair one hole, I was able to use the extra material under the pan) and refit.
The flywheel was a little screwed up from the previous owner, he had fitted a Stealhy aftermarket weight on it and it didn't fit right, and cracked the center flange where the rivets are, but I was able to fix. That bad jetting made the bike have a big hit, and I guess he thought that was normal... and thus needed even more weight than the big stock flywheel had. It runs great with the stock flywheel only now.
Getting it dialed in has been a challenge, but fun.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Almost all newer enduro 250s have gone back to 36mm carbs because no one cares about the 2-5% extra up top you get with a 39 all while taking it off the bottom. If you want it bigger, have RB go through it, and it will have the same bottom end-centric circuit work everyone touts for the KDXs.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Let's talk RMX's

Post by ohgood »

THIS IS MORE OF A 24HOUR race summary than a rmx report....

the challenge, 6 man team pilot a bike for 24 hours at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club, AKA

http://www.24hourchallenge.com/24HourCh ... /news.html

Our team consisted of decent woods riders, from 30-52 years of age, one rmx250, and one ktm250exc for backup.

We arrived with RV and setup pits. The other pits were much more experienced, organized, and FAST during rider hand offs.

The rmx250 survived about 3 laps (9 miles each) before pitting with a really bad choke problem that caused fueling issues, poor low end power, very hard starting. You do NOT want to stall a bike with a choke problem !!! (but i did, twice) The course was a 7/10 for challenging, rocky, rooted, rutted terrain. We usually ride much harder terrain (11/10) but rarely at (our) race pace. Normal rides are 5-8 hours of hard stuff, with a lot of waiting for buddies to make it past obstacles, NOT riding the same loop so freaking fast (for us) !

on lap 4 or 5, we fixed the choke issue while changing riders. mulley (yo mullinator!) took off on the rmx and beat the **** out of it in the woods, until it failed around 9pm (race started at 10 AM). one of the ironmen (they ride without relief riders, all night!) allen goodwin's wife ran down and told us mulley was fine but the rmx was dead in the water.... the pit scrambled, and i shot through the parking /rv area on the KDX to find/tow/whatever him as needed.

the bike was dead. likely a power valve + piston contact = DAMMMMMITTTTT !!!!

we lost two laps because of the bike failure:
1 one lap because of not going through the timing counter
2 one more lap because of the screwups at the bike impound lot needing some paperwork or something, and setting up the backup (ktm) for night riding. we had not anticipated putting the lights on, so that was mostly our fault.

the rest of the race was nearly perfect. i HATED the ktm for my first shot of 18 miles of single track. terrible handling, wanted to shoot off the trail and blast over the perfect berms. god i hated it. every second i wanted my super easy kdx instead of the point-n-shoot ktm. hate hate hate.

my rounds were complete around midnight, but i pitted the next rider before heading to my hammock around 130 am. i slept until around 530am, when jim woke me up, and said he couldn't complete another 18miles because of shoulder pain... no problem, he layed down the FASTEST laps of our group, and on the ancient rmx too !

ok, gear on, sun just about to come up over the trees, and mulley came in on the ktm... $#@& i hated getting on that bike....

wait a second

what's this ?

point n shoot ?

ok, bitch, point and shoot it is. braaaaAAAAAAAAAAPPP and off we went. perfect. absolutely PERFECT run ! once the ktm taught me how to ride her, she was absolutely perfect. point there, and BLAST your way to that point ! tight single track is NOT what this bike does well.... this bike does double track, woops, and speed like nobodies bidness ! i had a flawless run as the sun came up illuminating the trails (no lights on the bike now!) to perfection. absolute beautiful, soft, loamy, bermed up and slightly wet perfection !

i went through the timing booth with my fastest time of the event, just barely over 38 minutes for 18 miles. wooohooo !! (ya, i know it's slow, but I"M SLOW, so i was finally in race mode!) and thought i might take on another lap to help our standing...

then my legs started cramping and right hand falling asleep. almost launched into the woods on the last woop heading into a downhill left hander blind... while shaking out the tingles from my throttle wrist.

we'll get the diagnosis from rubyrider this week about the rmx. hopefully it's not anything expensive to kill the bike completely.

to it's benefit, it was a very poorly maintained bike, and it suffered EXTREME ABUSE during this race. the poor running condition meant a LOT of clutch was used to make up for the poor low end (choke) problems. it was overheated (me) and beat like a red headed step child. had it been in better condition on the front end, i think we could have easily completed the race on it.

pros - amazing transmission, buttery smooth shifting, GREAT RANGE OF POWER, and extremely linear in it's delivery, even better than the kdx's delivery.
decent suspension, for a bike this old
decent seat, for a bike this old and stock
gearing - i'm saying it again, this bike with it's wide ratio tranny, is fantastic

cons - just plain old and crusty compared to the ktm offerings of today.
old
it's old
poor thing, it's just old

if you have the opportunity to buy one, don't hesitate. you'll love the wide ratio transmission and great power. it is definitely an upgrade from the kdx in those departments, even if it wants to blow out berms instead of turn 154 times and make change in hte processs like a kdx will. ;-)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW!

Thanks for the report! Congratulations on getting to participate in that race.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

fuzzy wrote:Almost all newer enduro 250s have gone back to 36mm carbs because no one cares about the 2-5% extra up top you get with a 39 all while taking it off the bottom. If you want it bigger, have RB go through it, and it will have the same bottom end-centric circuit work everyone touts for the KDXs.
Good advise, I'm going to ride it with the 36 for a bit and see how it goes, maybe RB work if it needs it. The only other two issues I am working through right now are 1) kickstand- I don't want an OEM swingarm mounted one so will be looking to probably mod a PMB or trailtech unit to work, and 2) One of the 2 mounts for the case saver/chain guard is broken. Thinking that I may be able to build up the tower with a weld and then redrill/tap it. Really don't want to run without a case saver so trying to get this last bit sorted so we can get the bike on the trail. On a side note really happy with the Factory Backing graphics kit (Factory Backing website. The quality is good and they have a lot of older bike models available, great for those of us who like riding our 'nearly' vintage bikes!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let's talk RMX's

Post by kawagumby »

My RMX has the same broken bolt tower. What the PO did was weld up a small bracket from the frame to bolt to the lower guard. The upper tower was still OK. It works.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, my upper tower is good too. I was thinking of just building up the lower tower with some JB Weld, but a bracket would probably hold up better. Another excuse to work on my welding skills is always a good thing! lol