KDX 200 VS DR 350

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
squid

KDX 200 VS DR 350

Post by squid »

Here's the low down I can't seem to get a solid catwalk out of my kdx. I've tried sitting on the fender I've got the balance but the throttle power just isn't there. So my question is does a dr350 have more power than the kdx?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KDX 200 VS DR 350

Post by s10gto »

Torque maybe but not hp. Kdx is rated 37hp and the Dr 33hp. The Dr is also about 70lbs heavier.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Catwalks are all in the gearing
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

squid wrote:Here's the low down I can't seem to get a solid catwalk out of my kdx. I've tried sitting on the fender I've got the balance but the throttle power just isn't there. So my question is does a dr350 have more power than the kdx?
yes, it does. the dr is a really good dualsport, better than a drz in my opinion. but, it's all down low compared to the kdx. my favorite dual sport so far was a dr350, with a 440 kit (some folks use a stock drz400 piston and the dr longer stroke) that we Nick named "the monster". it pulled like a train, wheelie at will in fourth gear, and still cruised in top gear like a bike should.

the problem is the fueling. your kdx will run upside down, and chug along nicely. the dr will begin to have mixture issues almost instantly when the front is lifted for a slow wheelie. and good Lord don't dump it on its side, you'll never clear the flood!

I'm not good at slow wheelies , but have done it, and its very predictable smooth and reliable once the rider gets it down. that is, if your jetting is good.
squid

Post by squid »

Is the fueling problem on the street model and the dirt model?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

squid wrote:Is the fueling problem on the street model and the dirt model?

I wouldn't call it a problem special to the dr, but Kick only four strokes in general. the tm33 carb was finicky to say the least.
squid

Post by squid »

I recently bought a dr350se with electric start for a dual sport but I haven't rode it but 20 miles now it's tore down at my shop. I have a chance to buy a dr350r with the pumper carb for 200 you think it's worth it i hear that's an immediate power gain over the cv carb what did you run on yours
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I had a DR350SE a few years ago, it was a decent trail bike for what I wanted to do with it. It was stripped of all the lights etc, but it was still a porker :lol: .

There was a website, maximumsuzuki I believe, that had a forum dedicated to the Drs. Lots of good info to make the Drs a better trail machine. The fix for the CV carb for tump overs works great. I had my DR upside down a time or two and it would start right back up after a crash.

I can tell you it is no match for my KDX though!
squid

Post by squid »

I will second that for sure the kdx is a lightning bolt in comparison. I mainly got the dr for a dual sport to ride on state property where the kdx is forbidden
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

squid wrote:I recently bought a dr350se with electric start for a dual sport but I haven't rode it but 20 miles now it's tore down at my shop. I have a chance to buy a dr350r with the pumper carb for 200 you think it's worth it i hear that's an immediate power gain over the cv carb what did you run on yours
yes, its much nicer
masterblaster

Post by masterblaster »

I hear ya my first post was in search of more top end...long story short a good back tire and running the compression damping way in and slowing the rebound is the only way to get the bike to wheely in a somewhat controlled fashion(then it will suck on the trails) the balance point on this bike is narrow and the power falls off quick however the gnarly it gets (third gear or lower) imho nothing including a ktm can touch it.