It's official...

Discussion for bikes other than the KDX
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

It's official...

Post by farmerj »

Congrats on the EC 250. Just for fun...

I have an '01 KDX 200, had a lot of fun on it, but haven't ridden it much lately. I've pulled it out for a "last ride" a couple of times over the years, but haven't been able to part with it - it runs perfectly.

I've had an '05 EC 300 for a couple of years now. Also a 'Berg FX 450. Great bikes, but I've been thinking...The GG weighs 165lbs, and the Berg 178lbs. Where do I find a really lightweight bike that's good for 1st-2nd gear trails? Something that you don't hesitate to throw at the "slow, gnarly stuff" because you might have to pick it up again? Punch out a Husky 125? Sherco 300i?

Then I realized - that bike I'm thinking of is already sitting in my shed - it's a KDX!

So I agree that there are some other great bikes out there, but in the right place, the 'ol KDX still has it's place :)

Jeff
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: It's official...

Post by ohgood »

farmerj wrote:Congrats on the EC 250. Just for fun...

I have an '01 KDX 200, had a lot of fun on it, but haven't ridden it much lately. I've pulled it out for a "last ride" a couple of times over the years, but haven't been able to part with it - it runs perfectly.

I've had an '05 EC 300 for a couple of years now. Also a 'Berg FX 450. Great bikes, but I've been thinking...The GG weighs 165lbs, and the Berg 178lbs. Where do I find a really lightweight bike that's good for 1st-2nd gear trails? Something that you don't hesitate to throw at the "slow, gnarly stuff" because you might have to pick it up again? Punch out a Husky 125? Sherco 300i?

Then I realized - that bike I'm thinking of is already sitting in my shed - it's a KDX!

So I agree that there are some other great bikes out there, but in the right place, the 'ol KDX still has it's place :)

Jeff

what bikes do you own that weigh sub 200 pounds ???

when I get rich I'm buying a electric trials bike. until then the kdx owns
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

No kidding, need to add 100lbs. to each of those!! 265lbs. and 278lbs. My brain fade there, thanks for catching it.

Actually, I have a GG 321 trials bike that does weigh less than 200 lbs. That's the ticket for steep hills or tight trails, or playing around in a "backyard-sized" area just for fun!

Jeff
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

It's official...

Post by SS109 »

My KDX weighed in at 251 pounds fully fueled. It sure wasn't lightweight. Also, with it's higher center of gravity, it feels way heavier than my GG. I can pick up the GG like it ways nothing compared to my KDX.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

Well, I think I'm corrected once again. I weighed my KDX at 240 lbs., but it probably didn't have a full tank. Even 240 lbs. isn't "lightweight." But what is? A Sherco 300i is something like 248, a CRF450R is about 238, a KTM 200 isn't much less, I was surprised to find that a Husky 144 is 236. Beside something like an X-Ride, what is out there that is really lightweight? Maybe it's a KDX hybrid, I've heard those come in around 225. But I think I've heard that some say the hybrids don't handle as well in the tight woods as the stock frame - so is saving 15 lbs. worth it?

I probably need to stop wondering about it and just go out and ride! :)
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

125's are light! Last one I had was a 99 KX125, felt like a mountain bike next to my KDX.

250 mx 2 stokes are fairly light as well. My YZ was a porker, with skid plate, radiator guards/braces, heavier FMF Gnarly pipe, hand guards, UHD tubes, etc etc. With studded tires it was 236 lb, no gas. Put normal tubes and tires and it would likely be in the upper 220's, and more recent YZ's are even lighter than mine started out. KTM's were really light till public opinion finally pushed them to start putting linkages on the bikes.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

"CRF450R is about 238, a KTM 200 isn't much less..."?!

I raced both a CRF450 and then a KTM200 and I can tell you they are vastly different weight wise - about +30lbs. My CRF might have been 238lbs dry, which compares to the KTM200 dry weight of 209lbs. However, in ready to race mode that CRF450 was pushing 270lbs I'd have to guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

farmerj wrote:Well, I think I'm corrected once again. I weighed my KDX at 240 lbs., but it probably didn't have a full tank. Even 240 lbs. isn't "lightweight." But what is? A Sherco 300i is something like 248, a CRF450R is about 238, a KTM 200 isn't much less, I was surprised to find that a Husky 144 is 236. Beside something like an X-Ride, what is out there that is really lightweight? Maybe it's a KDX hybrid, I've heard those come in around 225. But I think I've heard that some say the hybrids don't handle as well in the tight woods as the stock frame - so is saving 15 lbs. worth it?

I probably need to stop wondering about it and just go out and ride! :)
http://www.fxbikes.com/bikes/

light enough?
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

http://www.motoped-choose-your-adventure.com/pro/#

Underpowered, but they can do a big bore stroker and be up at stupid pit bike levels. 123 lbs
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Pretty sure a CRF is way heavier than a KDX. I've never weighed a 450, but the newer 250s feel like a tank. Or maybe the center of gravity is just way higher. Tipping one over in the showroom, it just felt like it was 400lbs...

@[edit]Oh, just noticed you're talking about the R... I'm talking about the e starter one.
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

[/quote]http://www.fxbikes.com/bikes/

light enough?[/quote]

You guys are coming up with some fun stuff!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

KTM's new 250r is a serious contender for an all-round light weight bike if that's the objective.

http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freeride ... GSwpYm9Kc0

farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

Good find, Sully. You guys got me "searching" and I just ran across the Freeride also. That looks like the bike I have always wanted to build! I put handguards/seat/computer on a GG 321 trials bike, and it is fun in its element - but you can't really sit much at all because of the seat to peg relationship. Also, our Northwest fireroads often have "washouts" (for lack of a better term) and the suspension can't take anything at speed.

The Freeride would be awesome in its element - the tight and twisty gnarly stuff, etc. With that trials-like engine it won't shine in the desert or at racing, I wouldn't think - but for 1st-3rd gear woods riding and trail-breaking...I am highly interested in that bike!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Here's another to help you in your search!

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/dropp ... -tim-pilg/

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That motoped is cool as ****. Motor up hills, gravity down them! :drinkers:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Yugmoto

It's official...

Post by Yugmoto »

Hey Kelly, it's been awhile but I thought I'd ask how the GG is doing? Did that gearbox work out? Hope to hear from you.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

It's official...

Post by SS109 »

Yugmoto wrote:Hey Kelly, it's been awhile but I thought I'd ask how the GG is doing? Did that gearbox work out? Hope to hear from you.
Yeah, it worked out great.

Unfortunately, my time with the GG was cut short. Sometime between 2-5am on April the 14th some piece of **** thief stole it. No luck as of yet and I suspect I'll never see it again. :cry:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I dont own a kdx anymore but this is still the first site i check every morning lol.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Actionman wrote:I dont own a kdx anymore but this is still the first site i check every morning lol.
Awesome!