1987 KDX 200 General Questions

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
stho0785

1987 KDX 200 General Questions

Post by stho0785 »

I have enjoyed this board. I have some questions I am hoping to get some clarity on.

First, what do you guys do when your cdi goes out? Since there aren't many options on this, I am very curious.

Second, has anyone found a motor that swaps into the frame? I'm not asking for some crazy banshee level of performance, but I have looked at like a yamaha blaster engine since they are cheap, easy to work on, and parts are readily available.

Please forgive me if these are dumb questions. I appreciate everyone's time.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1987 KDX 200 General Questions

Post by KDXGarage »

Over the years, I have bought a few parts bikes. I can just grab another part if need be. If I didn't have that option, I would buy a used one off eBay.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
stho0785

Post by stho0785 »

Thanks for the reply.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

For electronics Ebay is about the only viable option for most people. There is a member here who used to make custom CDIs, but haven't seen him on in a while. As for the motor, you won't find many folks who swap them out as the motor is what makes a KDX a KDX....dependable, rugged, easy to work on. You could drop any similarly sized motor into any frame, but the KDX frame is old and dated, and was really just geared at trail-biking. There a plenty of hybrids with newer frames and KDX motors (I happen to own one). With enough time and effort you could make a blaster motor fit, it's air-cooled so you wouldn't need radiators or plumbing. Finding and fitting a pipe might be a challenge, and then you'd have to deal with a quad transmission ratios, but it could be done.
stho0785

Post by stho0785 »

Interesting points. However, while I agree that the kdx is reliable, it is getting very old and finding particular parts is somewhat of a pain. Thanks for the reply.