1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Hi all i thought I would photo log my progress on my (new to me) kdx 200. Pictures and story to follow.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by KDXGarage »

I assign looking forward to it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

OK. So I was trolling Kijiji (craigslist of Canada) an happened upon a 1988 KDX 200 (listed as a 90) for $400 CAD, (about $325 USD). The guys said that there was no spark but the bike was all there. I immediately told my wife i had to go get it... 10 min of grovelling later and I was on my way to check it out. The bike was a half hour away the guy got 20 ish texts between my departing and getting to his place, i was the first person to show up :boogie: . He told me that he tried replacing the coil, didnt have a puller to look at the stator, and just wanted it out of his driveway.

There was no funny business when i picked it up, looked just like in the pictures. I kicked and it had compression, so I was satisfied and and loaded it in my truck. Didn't barter just gave him what he wanted. Here is how the bike looked in the add:

And here it is when i brought it home:

I checked the compression with a tester and it looked good:

Nest on the list was to diagnose that pesky spark issue :grin:
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Now that i had it in my garage, the first thing to do was to check and see if i could get spark. I stripped off all of the crappy wiring, (which plauges most sub $500 bikes these days). and made sure that there were no bare spots leaving from the stator. GTG.

Next i wired the kill switch (just twisted it on) and changed the spark plug (BR9ES) ... Kicked it a few times and....

Spark! i couldn't believe it. Here is an uninteresting video i sent to my brother to revel in my success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AlHxs0MPk
I also ohmed out the plug caps and it was a 15ohms so I changed it out with a good new one.. spark is even fatter.
Next step was to clean the carb to see if I could get it to run. The PO said he just cleaned it but there are always varying degrees of what clean is. After opening up the carb it immediately became evident that the PO and my idea of "clean" were at totally opposite ends of the Clean Spectrum, where his idea of clean was a 1/32" coat of varnish all over the inside of the apparatus, and mine being more in-line with the Websters defined sense of the word.

I took everything apart and dipped in in a pine-sol/water solution over night, next morning, hot water and a toothbrush, then a final spray down of carb cleaner. I put the carb on... threw in a rich premix.. choked it and... third kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GdK_fWK890

Now that it runs, has compression and spark, I decided that it would be worth the time and money bring up to a suitable level of functionality. I took stock of all of the part i needed to safen this bad boy up.
Last edited by vantangler on 12:07 am May 01 2018, edited 1 time in total.
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

In no particular order, these are the parts i ordered:

Rear tire/Tube/Rim strips
Rear wheel bearing
Front wheel bearing
Rear shoes
Kawi branded bar Pad
Fork seals
Fork oil (I went with 10wt)
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
New grips

The total was 310.50 shipped.

I think i will need to replace the swing arm bearings too (I could not order a kit with confidence, i will take advice on what kit to get)
I will also need to rebuild the rear shock, I'll take advise on what seals I'll need for that too.

I think that will be it.. should put me at about $800 CAD for a fully functional air cooled KDX.

I also wire wheeled and painted the exhaust:

Here is how the bike sits now, next to its big bro a 1974 DT 250 (Here is a rebuild thread for that for those interested: (http://www.yamahaenduro.com/showthread.php?t=30827)

I should get everything in the mail this week, more updates to follow :rock:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

We can all learn a lesson here...

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :mrgreen:

That could have been the ten minutes in which it was bought by someone else. Keep cash handy and be prepared to move out faster than a SWAT team. :grin:

See if the shock body is OK inside first. The body is not hard anodized, so they wear worse than more modern ones. The seal head is 40 mm x 14 mm. The bottom bumper is the same as more modern KDX's. Happy hunting on a piston band or budging on the old odd ball piston. The bladder is the same as the newer KDX's. The shaft nut is the same as newer KDX's also.

I am not sure on the bearings.
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Thx Jason. I'll be sure to get a good look one I get this all apart. Should make life easier when ordering rebuild kits.
vantangler

Fabbing Chian Guard

Post by vantangler »

As I am the sort of man who prefers my pantleg to not get sucked into the drivetrain, I decided to build a chainguard for the fwd sproket while I wait for my much ballyhooed part to arrive in the mail.

Here is the front sprocket for those of us who have never seen one before:

Believe it or not, this will soon be a chain guard. It is some flat steel and a decrepit bushing from my quad. Im cutting the bushing into two studs, then drilling more speedholes in the flat steel for mounting bolts. The studs will be welded to the flat steel, and following a mock-up, I will enclose the whole assy with more flat bar to save the case in the event of chain detonation:

Here is the first mock-up, all tacked together:

And with the fasteners fastened, though I do need longer bolts:

The hard part is over, but since grinding and welding is not conducive to babies sleeping, which in turn makes for a angry wife, I must stop for tonight and add the finishing touches on tommorow.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A little Mad Max, but I like it.

JUST in case you did not know, that sprocket (and therefore most likely the chain and rear sprocket) is totally shot. :hmm:

If you do replace it, put a new OEM circlip on there. Thanks.
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Agreed. I have a new front on the way... jury still out on chain and rear sprocket.

Yes it is mad max-ish, but i have a welder, poor welding skills, time, and material so this is an opportunity to practice and nudge my welding skills into the the realm of "mediocre". And after its all grinded and painted, it wont look to horrible. All that to say, I like it too. :cool:
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Here is the final product.. should keep the pantaloons from getting hung up.

Parts arriving monday.. Excited to get the throttle cable so i can actually take this for a "get-it-out-of-my-system" run.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That does look a good bit better. DO NOT take it into mud, as it will clog in its current state.

It is now time to clean all that gunk off it. :mrgreen:
vantangler

Rear Shock valve

Post by vantangler »

Question for ya'll. I tore into the rear shock, the valve was very worn, (probably about 2mm on one side). Should i replace the valve or get a new shock... the shock body looks ok.

Any idea what valve to get, or what size i will need for a bolt on replacement shock?... I googled but i am not certain.

Thank you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The body is not hard anodized. I don't see how the valve could be worn that bad and the body be good. I would buy another one and hope it is OK inside and rebuild it.

1986 - 1988 will work.
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

Deep down inside I knew that would be the case, just didn't want to admit it to myself. I guess I'll start trolling eBay. :cry:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a picture of the shock parts? Thanks.
vantangler

1988 KDX 200 Freshening

Post by vantangler »

I already have it put back together and on the bike, ill just use the pogo untill I get a new unit. You were right though. any 86-88 unit will work, or a 380 - 400mm-ish aftermarket.