Rear shock question

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Davidp

Rear shock question

Post by Davidp »

Hi Folks, new to the forum although I’ve been a long time follower for info as I picked up a 1984 KDX200 last fall in need of almost everything for $125 haha. So I ended up rebuilding the motor with a plated cylinder and a newer kdx piston from prox. I also refinished all the plastics and have been redoing the electrics as the PO thrashed this thing with no lights and electrical tape covers on the original terminals. I got it with no carb and air filter but luckily the reeds were alright so I cleaned them up and checked that they seal, and fitted a pj34 carb and throttle cable I found for $40 on Kijiji in good condition. Now it runs but I haven’t done jetting yet so I can’t get it to idle? Also the back shock feels like a pogo stick, almost no damping, I figured the seals shot. Does anyone here know if I can rebuild the 1984 shock?

All help would be appreciated! Ripped this bike in the snow a quick lap and it’s a hoot
Also any info on the jetting and needle position would be amazing too if anyone knows
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear shock question

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. :partyman:

Congratulations on the '84 KDX200. The rear shock is rebuildable, assuming the inside of the shock body is not damaged.

You sound like you don't have the owner / service manual for your bike. Look on eBay for a used copy. They usually are pretty cheap and will be the best money you ever spend on the bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Davidp

Rear shock question

Post by Davidp »

Thanks, I’m backpacking in Asia right now but I’ll be back in a week and thinking of rebuilding the shock for the spring. Originally I thought I’d just fix this bike and sell it as I’m a poor student. But already I’m feeling much more inclined to sell my two other projects if I can put the finishing touches on them. Hahaha funny how this little bike grew on me.
Also I’ll defin try and pick up a manual as these 83-85 models haven’t a ton of info available.
I’m kinda hoping for a pipe for it one day but it looks as though only dg makes one.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on backpacking through Asia. :bravo:

You have a KDX. You are "BIKE RICH". :grin:

On the shock, you will need a spanner pin wrench to get the cap off. I have not been into one, but know a touch on them.

The bottom bumper is the same. It uses a piston in the reservoir instead of a bladder. :roll: It's the same seal head as the 1986 - 1988 KDX200. It won't have the "modern" piston and band like a 1989+ KDX.

Stay safe and have fun. Good luck on the rebuild. :boogie:
Davidp

Post by Davidp »

Yes indeed I guess I am. I’ll probably order in a seal head then and give this a go when I’m home. I’ll also try to find the manual as I only found a partial PDF that covered the engine rebuild. Hopefully I open it up without too much surprise :shock:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

One safety tip is SAFETY GLASSES.

Just in case it has ANY pressure in the reservoir, remove the nitrogen first.