'84 KDX 80

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
JackM

'84 KDX 80

Post by JackM »

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and don't own any Kawasakis, but am interested in this '84 kdx 80 that's for sale locally. It's in reasonably good condition and would make for a good restoration project. My hobby since retiring, is rescuing older bikes that I can find close to home, and keep them from going to the junk yard. Since I know little about these particular bikes, what would a person expect to pay for this model? The owner wants $600.00, but I feel that is a bit high. Thanks,
JackM
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: '84 KDX 80

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider! :bravo:

Not owning any Kawasakis is an easy problem to solve, and we will help you. :mrgreen:

The 1984 - 1988 KDX80s are fairly similar, so part availability on eBay is pretty good.

Is this one that is on craigslist? It is hard to say what it is worth without a few pictures or more detail. If it runs well (not just runs) and everything is in order and looks decent, then $600 is not bad. It is always a matter of just how bad is it really, as used bikes 99% of the time need some work and / or parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thanks, Jason. I agree. Unless you're very lucky, you won't find a used dirt bike , especially one this old, that is not in need of something, whether it be tires, engine work, you name it. Normally, a bike this size would have been ridden by kids, and if an adult has not maintained it, you really don't know what you're getting. I paid $200.00 for an '85 xr 100 once and when I got it home, found out it had had a broken frame that had been poorly welded. Luckily, I found a good frame on ebay for cheap. As the old saying goes: buyer beware!!
p.s. Can you post photos on this site, and if so, how? Thanks
JackM
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah! Broken frames and damaged crankcase halves are major blows to a rebuild!

On pictures, we actually have no ads if you have noticed. That is because the site is funded mostly from donations. Pictures can be hosted on a 3rd party site or hosted here in the Gallery for supporting members. Minimum donation is $5. Julien D does all the site work. There are some IMG tags to post the picture address in from another site.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128