1987 bike build

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
jacktrut

1987 bike build

Post by jacktrut »

Hello all. New member here. I just thought I'd post up my new build. It's going to be a rider first then maybe a restore. Time will tell. She's a little rough and missing a few parts but she has good compression and I've always wanted an air cooled kdx. So I saw this on the local onine bike ads and here it is.
I'll keep this as short as possible and add more as I do more work to the bike. I've never owned a dirtbike but have worked on skidoos and outboard motors so wrenching is not completely new to me. I am hoping you all can help me with the bits I can't figure out.. Like.

This carb was on the bike. It's a 38mm mikuni. :blink: I'm pretty sure that the bike came with a 34 Mikuni. Does anyone think I will be able to at least see if I can get the bike to run with it? Or should I just set it aside. I'll be calling the local wreckers to see if an original is available.. Right side choke?
What year kick start levers will fit this bike? I read some where that some kx kick levers will work. Mine is missing.. along with the gear shifter and the complete air box. Generator cover..kick stand.. um what else? chain guides.. I think this bike was a parts bike in a past life. And I like the challenge of bringing junk back to life.

If anyone has any additional info they'd like to share I'd be grateful. I'll try and keep this updated. Cheers
Last edited by jacktrut on 05:38 am May 26 2016, edited 1 time in total.
hbgod

Re: 1987 bike build

Post by hbgod »

I know from owning an 86 kx 125 alot of parts are the same. Such as the chain guard and clutch, not sure about the other stuff. The carb does have a right side choke.
Also good luck finding a kickstand. They are like gold around here. Be careful with the stator as well.
You can get replacement chain guides (swingarm) for around $40 if i remember correctly.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome.

How were you able to determine it is a 38? The stock carb looks similar.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jacktrut

1987 bike build

Post by jacktrut »

well I thought I'd post up some more pics.

Here's a pic of the stator. It tests out fine as far as I can tell with the multi meter but I don't have the correct values from a kawasaki manual. If anyone has the resistance vales and if they could post it up I would appreciate it. Does this look like the proper part? Do those numbers mean anything printed on there? Part # perhaps??

Here's my pic of a broken flywheel magnet that these bikes are famous for. The flywheel popped off and hit the garage floor before I had a chance to react.
My solution..

Mix up some epoxy..(I've built a couple boats and had some left over)

Clamp up and set it in the sun to cure

With the the epoxy on the fly wheel cured I then proceeded to see if the bike had spark, I had to jerry rig a kick starter off an old xr80 I have to kick it over..(by hand being very careful so as to not strip the splines ) After cleaning all the ground locations on the coil the bike has a weak spark.
The bike didn't have a spark plug wire as someone had robbed it off the bike.(along with that kick starter) I used one off an antique 1950's outboard I have and I think that could be one of the contributing factors to the weak spark. (possibly the coil?)
Before I go out and buy a new ignition cable would anyone have the values for testing the coil? Both primary and secondary? I just want to make sure this bike is worth spending more time and money on as I'm finding these bikes are difficult to find parts for. I really would like to get this bike running but am getting discouraged at the lack of parts from the local bike wreckers.. None! Thanks for looking..
jacktrut

Post by jacktrut »

Jason wrote:Welcome.

How were you able to determine it is a 38? The stock carb looks similar.
Thanks for the Welcome Jason. As far as the carb goes I measured it with a vernier caliper. It measured out to 37.5mm. I believe that is considered a 38? Do you think I could get the bike to run with it? If just to test the motor..
Last edited by jacktrut on 07:28 am May 17 2016, edited 1 time in total.
jacktrut

Post by jacktrut »

hbgod wrote:I know from owning an 86 kx 125 alot of parts are the same. Such as the chain guard and clutch, not sure about the other stuff. The carb does have a right side choke.
Also good luck finding a kickstand. They are like gold around here. Be careful with the stator as well.
You can get replacement chain guides (swingarm) for around $40 if i remember correctly.
Thanks for the info hbgod. I've been doing some cross referencing of parts numbers and there seems to be quite a few parts which might fit different bikes from different years. Just need to find those bikes at the wreckers.
My stator seems fine. I've tested it and it seems to test fine. I'm hoping someone will post up some proper values for me to check from a manual.
Yes the choke is on the right side of the carb but the lever to actuate it is on the left. The left side of the carb is covered with the stock airbox, no? Mine is missing the airbox so I'm just going by pics off the net.. Cheers!
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Yes choke lever is supposed to be on the right side. You can use a pwk carb off of a newer kdx, you just also need an intake boot off a newer kdx. its a nice upgrade tho. Im not running an airbox on my bike i just have a filter stuck on the carb.
you can get a new coil and wire for $30 on ebay. Not super expensive cant hurt to just buy one.

Also i have a complete bike and a parts bike as well as a shop manual so if theres any specific info you need just make a small list and post it here and ill see what i can do. :) Goodluck.
jacktrut

1987 bike build

Post by jacktrut »

Thanks hbgod. I'm thinking of picking up any 34mm mikuni and trying that. I even have them on my polaris snowmachine.. I could just swap one out temporarily. With the newer pwk carb do you mean the intake book between the carb and top end?
Since you have a manual and you've offered would you be able to post up the resistance values for the stator and the coil? (both primary and secondary) I've asked in the general forum but since you've offered.. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

Vm34 from snowmobile won't fit the intake. Spigot is too small. I tried it. Didn't work
BillyWillicker

Post by BillyWillicker »

I should have a good carb available for you in a few days. I am picking up a parts bike for my '87.

Jason
jacktrut

Post by jacktrut »

bob_jones wrote:Vm34 from snowmobile won't fit the intake. Spigot is too small. I tried it. Didn't work
Thanks bob_jones . I won't go tearing into my sleds to find out what you already know.
jacktrut

Post by jacktrut »

BillyWillicker wrote:I should have a good carb available for you in a few days. I am picking up a parts bike for my '87.

Jason
Thanks for the offer Jason but I have a bigger issue I think. I think that the stator that is on the bike is from a newer vintage. Unless I can find a donor stator plate , carb issues won't matter if I can't get proper spark/timing.. At least with a used stator plate I could purcahase the replacement stator/igniter and solder them in.. Oh yes I'm north of the border so your good will is wasted on me.. Thanks for the offer though! (though I might be begging for parts soon enough!)
BillyWillicker

Post by BillyWillicker »

I will have those parts available as well possibly. This is a running complete bike and I like to help others in kind.

Jason
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Here are your ohm readings
Coil primary - .22
Coil secondary - 7.2k
Stator Black to blue - 104
Black to white/red - 54.5
Blue to white/red - 142
black to yellow - .53

All good within plus or minus 20%
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

BillyWillicker wrote:I will have those parts available as well possibly. This is a running complete bike and I like to help others in kind.

Jason
Hey I could use the shock, or at least the shock shaft...assuming it's not pitted. Thanks!
BillyWillicker

Post by BillyWillicker »

bob_jones I think I have a rebuildable shock. I will let you know tomorrow.

Jason
jacktrut

Post by jacktrut »

BillyWillicker wrote:I will have those parts available as well possibly. This is a running complete bike and I like to help others in kind.

Jason
Thanks BillyWillicker. where are you located?

Hbgod thanks for the info I'll test them today.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

BillyWillicker wrote:bob_jones I think I have a rebuildable shock. I will let you know tomorrow.

Jason
That would be great. Thanks!
jacktrut

1987 bike build

Post by jacktrut »

Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately the bike has been sold. Too much money needed to get this bike back up and running. I hope the new owner can get the job done! Cheers.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

I hear ya. My '86 didn't come in a basket, but it was just that close to basket case. Purchased for $100 and took about another $500 to get it running well enough to determine it's a good usable unit. I spent some time playing on it and saving up some more $ for upgrades. Now I'm moving on to those things ie that shock rebuild and a rear disc brake swap. I specifically wanted an air-cooled KDX. Period.
I had it in my mind that I'd spend up to $300 to determine whether I could have a good bike by the time I got to $800. Done, done, and done. This one is going reasonably well...as far as resurrections go, at least.