What carbs should I look for to install on 1986 KDX 200?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

Well I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and find a carb for my '86 200 basket case. It came with a mikuni carb marked "v20" that has no internal parts at all. I don't want to pay full retail for a new vm34ss so I'm looking for a different carb. What carbs should I be looking for that will make the swap as painless as possible? I'm finding a lot of PWK's on feebay but I don't really know what specifics to look for. All of the ones I'm finding have the idle screw on the left side. Is that really a huge problem? Any experience with carb swapping on the 1986 200cc? TIA!
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

One solution that you may be able to work out since you have a KDX carb body is to purchase a standard VM34 off any bike, then swap the guts into the body you already have with all the controls on the right side.

As for the Kehein PWK, any model off a later KDX may be made to work, but you will have to change out the throttle cable and need to swap the intake boot with one off an '88, when they switched to that carb.
bob_jones

Re: What carbs should I look for to install on 1986 KDX 200?

Post by bob_jones »

Good idea. What is the stock slide (cutout etc) and needle valve specs I should be looking for. Will a slide from a left side idle carb gel in a right side idle body?
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Good point. Mikuni round slides are specific to left or right orientation.

You may have to purchase that separately from a Mikuni supplier.

It's probably worth checking the Kaw parts numbers and crossreferencing to Mikuni numbers where applicable for a little more research before you pull the trigger on anything. Both JetsRus and Sudco probably have pretty good info available.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

I found that many Polaris snowmobiles had vm34 with right side idle screw. So I ordered a used vm34 from a Polaris snowmobile. It's on its way. The snowmobile place was nice enough to put in kdx oem spec slide, pilot and main. They also put me very close on the jet needle and needle jet. Or so they said. I dont know if its the same "series" VM34 so i dont know if everything will swap. Well see what happens.
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

UPDATE: Snowmobile carb didn't work. Spigot side too small. Way too small. Ended up finding the right carb on feebay. Just FYI
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for a carburetor for my '86. What carburetor did you end up buying on ebay? Is "v20" the original carb? I have also purchased a new carburetor which the spigot is too small.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You might want to look for a 1986 or 1987 KDX200 carb. It is a Mikuni VM34SS, but it has a lever to engage the choke from the right side. A "normal" one has it on the left, which would be blocked by the air box.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

I ended up Gathering another couple of incomplete carbs and making a complete one out of it. I never determine if the v20 mark meant anything. The incomplete carbs were from 8687 kdx200's