Is 1985 KDX 200 a good bike to buy?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
DanO

Is 1985 KDX 200 a good bike to buy?

Post by DanO »

Looking at a 1985 KDX 200 and asked if it is for sale. I wonder is this a good bike to buy for ridabiltiy and parts etc. The main thing is parts.

Thanks

Dan
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Is 1985 KDX 200 a good bike to buy?

Post by jjavaman »

Newer is always better in my opinion, especially when it comes to dirt bikes. That being said, if the bike was mint, it would be hard to pass up.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I moved this to the air-cooled section.

Generally, I suggest persons new to KDX's to stick to the 1989 and newer models. Parts availability can be a worse issue on the earlier models.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks for the info, I will look for a 89 and newer bike. I don't mind air cooled bikes, I live in cool Western Washington(state) and only want to trail ride. Air cooled may be less effort to maintain.

Dan
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

DanO wrote:Air cooled may be less effort to maintain.

Not when you can't find parts. :wink:

Most people in the market for a bike like that are after it for it's history, and the opportunity to restore, admire, and occasionally ride. For a regular ride, finding something which you can still buy service parts for is always a good idea. Unfortunately many of those old bikes have several prone to failure bits that haven't been available as service parts for a long time. The KDX included, for sure.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Dano, I'd buy an 85, but for vintage racing, not for trail riding.....the parts are just becoming to rare! I'd recommend even going with a 95 or newer as the 89-94 bike parts are slowly being discontinued. You'll get lots of years out of an H series (95-06) before parts are obsolete. What part of Wetter Washington are you from?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks,, I want a bike I can get parts for many years. I live in Mount Vernon Wa.

Dan
Bajarider

Post by Bajarider »

Hi DanO. I agree that the early air cooled ones are for restoration and vintage racing. I have one for vintage racing a spare parts bike that I plan to restore. Pistons, plastics and flywheels are the hard to find items. I buy them when I see them. Great bikes though. No maintenance...KIPS or water pumps to worry about.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

DanO wrote:Thanks,, I want a bike I can get parts for many years. I live in Mount Vernon Wa.

Dan
look at the later kdx models or gasp check out the ktms. theyre everywhere here, outnumbering the big three by 10:1 easily.

I only have one season on my kdx so far but it's proving extremely reliable, simple to maintain and a blast to ride.