Too Stupid to Stop: 1983 KDX 250 Resurrection

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Too Stupid to Stop: 1983 KDX 250 Resurrection

Post by kawagumby »

Have you thought about putting an H model front end on the bike with disc brake? You can find those very cheap - most guys who put on USD front ends will practically give them away.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

If this were more than just a fun bike to occasionally tool around on, then I would seriously consider that option. And who knows? Maybe I'll get the gumption up to do that in the future. For now, however, I think I'll leave it stock. The front brake is actually working to retard forward motion since I replaced the useless plastic Pro Lever. That thing had poor leverage, and it flexed like a bendy straw.

The next likely purchase for this rattler is a new handlebar. The stocker is bent pretty good. Maybe I'll even spring for hand guards...
David Eckel
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I missed the race report. Thank you for posting the updates. Thanks for keeping her going and letting us know about it. :prayer:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
alex

Post by alex »

help!! my 85 kdx rear shock is worn beyond repair unless there is some sort of magic kdx parts store i can't find on the interweb. anybody that has info on parts or a replacement shock or a way to use something else will help. i'm dead in the water unless i can locate parts. thanks alex
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I'm pretty sure you can still find shock head seals for these older KDX shocks. Try Ebay. I have been putting off rebuilding my '83's shock for too long, now, so I'll be shopping for one, too. You may also want to try to find a better-condition used KDX shock from eBay.

I just had the old, old, OLD girl out for a day of riding in upstate NY, and it performed well. I'm still not happy with the carburetion, so I just grabbed an OEM carb off the interwebs and will try that with the recommended jetting specs from Dirt Bike Magazine in '83. I'm also tired of riding with the severely tweaked handlebars, so i grabbed a used set of KLR 650 bars, which appear to have a similar amount of rise built into them (i.e., a lot of rise). I was thinking about the Renthal vintage bend, which have a lot of rise, too, but I just couldn't get past spending $75 on this cheap ass bike.

In other Stupid News, the brakes are actually beginning to work. The rears are still quite touchy and will lock easily in slick conditions, but the front has actually begun to develop half okay stopping power. I guess the new pads have finally bedded in nicely with the drum lining.
David Eckel
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX Geoff »

l have and 85 250 with a reasonable front brake and a poor rear brake that disappears in water.

I've decided to put a disc on the front for more reliable braking and bought an '86 200 parts bike for the front brake with the bonus of 43mm forks.

The front ends swap straight over between the early mid "80s kdx 200/250 so its a very straight forward job to fit the bigger forks and disc from the 200 to the 250.

Also, as the 200/250 front end swaps straight into the '81 kdx450 lm restoring that also means that disc and 43mm forks from the '86 200 will go straight into the 450 as well.

Cheers

Geoff
Rd400pi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rd400pi »

David,
Do you have an owners manual for this bike? You can get one off of FleaBay for $10 with free ship. Anyhoo, with drum brake bikes, you need to do a special little dance when you install the front wheel. The manual should spell it out but basically you tighten axle clamps and main axle nut in a particular order. Also you are supposed to roll the front wheel a few time and jam on the front brake while the whole thing is up in the air freely spinning. Thus apparently centers the axle. This technique is mentioned in many bike manuals as an important step that will affect how well the front brakes work. This all supposes you still have this bike. My reply is a few years too late.
Cheers,
Mike H.
Last edited by Rd400pi on 09:11 pm Apr 05 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Yaz

Post by Yaz »

Ok now I really need some good ole help with my 1984 KDX 250 I really need an #21007-1065 Generator Rotor and I already know that most likely they are OBSOLETE. I can't even locate any old 83-84 KDX 250 anywhere online on Ebay/Craigslist. If any of you guys have this part and would love to sale me that one part I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Rd400pi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rd400pi »

Yaz,
Keep eyeing Fleabay and one will probably show up. Go into the CMS (Consolidated Motor Spares) online and compare the 83/84. I would think they would be the same. Question then becomes: How far back will work? 82...? MZB/Powerdynamo? Good luck.

Mike H.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I haven't been on in quite a while, but I just noticed your front brake advice--thanks! I know for sure that I did not consult my manual when installing the wheel, so that may have been an issue with my crap front brake. Good luck with your project!
David Eckel
Bajarider

Post by Bajarider »

You can always reach out to Jeff Fredette at Fredete Racing. He specializes in KDX and if anyone could help you, it would be him.
Rd400pi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rd400pi »

Actually called Jeff a couple of years ago (where does the time go?) to talk about 1979 400 and 1983 250 and he said he doesn't do anything with bikes that old. Sounds like he is much more of a modern KDX guy.

Mike
Baron

Post by Baron »

Dfeckel is in my kdx250 hall of heros. This thread gives me alot of hope in my own 1983 kdx250 restoration attempt.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Major props to a fellow member who divulged the "~original" trick to bring back Photobucket images. Now I've resurrected this thead! The bike is long gone (sold it a few years back), but I still love rereading this thread every now and again. I'm so happy I was able to get the images back!
David Eckel
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

What a interesting read, can't wait for more.
dfeckel, I rebuild those flywheels + encapsulate the magnets (70 dollars returned to you)
Text me @ 269 266 607six if I can be of assistance.
john
Attachments
flywheel 2.jpg
flywheel 2.jpg (535.46 KiB) Viewed 23730 times
jedidan45

Post by jedidan45 »

Pulling this one up from the graveyard!!!

I read this entire thread and loved every minute of it with several LOLs throughout...David, I saw your post that you had sold the bike several years ago...any idea how much you ended up getting for her???

Super cool resurrection of that old girl!!
Long live the KDX and all hail King Fredette!