Seating piston rings

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
kdxandjeepxj

Seating piston rings

Post by kdxandjeepxj »

I'm waiting on piston ring and then my kdx200 will be able to go back together after an almost complete teardown. I've been looking around to find out how to seat the piston rings but can't find any posts that say for sure how to do it. I've read multiple ways of break ins but i'm only replacing the rings because the piston and cylinder were still good (the reason for the almost complete teardown was that the countershaft was excessively worn). Would the 3 heat cycle work for this or should I warm up the engine and ride like hell. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks
1986 kdx200
1999 jeep cherokee xj
rparrish08

Re: Seating piston rings

Post by rparrish08 »

After a complete top end rebuild I usually start the bike and let it idle for 10 min. Shut it off and allow it to cool completely. Start it it again and let warm up to operating temperature then ride it while bringing it up to 1/3 throttle but never keep it at a steady rpm. Ride for about 10 min and then shut off and let it cool completely. Repeat the cycle but this time bring it up to 2/3 throttle while still varying the rpm. Let it cool completely. Start it up and let er rip. This may be overkill but its what I do.
Last edited by rparrish08 on 10:33 pm May 03 2016, edited 2 times in total.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

The rings will seat them selves. If you look at your piston in the ring grooves you will see a tiny bump. That bump makes sure your rings are in the correct spot. If the piston don't go in the cylinder then your rings are not in the correct position. The warm up will seat your rings. Id do the warm up process described above.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

use regular engine oil, non-synthetic, for at least one tank of gas. That allows the rings to seat quicker.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
kdxandjeepxj

Post by kdxandjeepxj »

Would I use the regular engine oil in the fuel mixture? Or are you talking about for the bottom end, jaguar?
1986 kdx200
1999 jeep cherokee xj
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

He is referring to the fuel mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Right. Transmission oil wouldn't touch the combustion chamber thus doesn't affect the rings directly.

Edit: Oops, resurrected old thread. Learning Tapatalk still.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk