1986 More Midrange?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1986 More Midrange?

Post by pkenney »

Finally got my 86 into the woods yesterday after a long rebuild.
Trails were slimy after an overnight rain so it was hard work for someone who hasn't been in the woods since 93.
The bike ran good at low and high rpms but had a pretty bad flat-spot in the midrange.

I remember reading on here that these bikes aren't known for midrange but also that there are ways to improve it.
Where is the best place to start tuning?
I remember reading ignition timing can change the power delivery as much as carb tuning.
I have stock pipe, DG silencer, Boysens, Unifilter, needle all the way down, stock jetting.

Thanks
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

1986 More Midrange?

Post by kawagumby »

My bike has no weakness in the mid range.
So you're saying the needle is full lean?

If if has good grunt and good rev out but less mid-rpm power, you will not get better results with timing adjustments, IMO, as the system already provides good timing at both extremes.

Usually low end grunt is associated with more conservative throttle action...quarter, third... top end is often associated with full throttle or close to it....so your pilot, air screw and main jet are probably OK.
if that is the case...the throttle mid-open area may be the culprit.

Try going richer at the needle for a start. Jetting makes a huge difference on relative power, throttle settings and rpms.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1986 More Midrange?

Post by pkenney »

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
I arrived at that needle setting in my back yard - seemed to work best but couldn't really give it a good test.
Speaking of needles, one of the organ-doner KDXs I bought had a 6DP1 needle instead of the 6FL52 which I believe is stock.
Anyone know anything about this other needle? I have not been able to find anything on that needle.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

try a R1174K/2AFKQ needle and advancing the spark a bit.
also an iridium plug with a wider gap helps.
also replacing the stock high voltage coil with a Honda CR coil which puts out more voltage.
also lathing down the head for more compression.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

a Keihin needle in a Mikuni from a 1986???????????????????????
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

Is the 6DP1 a Keihin part or the R1174K/2AFKQ?
The 6DP1 is slightly longer than the stocker and has a different taper.
It looks like it would lean out the mixture at partial throttle which is where i was thinking I needed to go.
I might give it a try to see if it works, someone before me was using it.

I already have an Iridium plug and might mess around with the timing if I cant clean up the jetting.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Jason you are so right. sorry for that slip up.
I just now did a quick search for info on your 6FL52 needle and came up with no results. If you want to find a leaner needle then first you need to use a digital caliper and measure its dimensions and then look at this chart:
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carbur ... ikuni.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

Yay - it's Fathers day and I finally get some time to revisit this.
Happy Fathers day to all the other Dads on here.

I am having a hard time noticing any difference between needle positions (top to bottom) so I'm going to look into the jetting.
Float height looks good too and the timing is aligned right to the mark.
I have a seen recommendation for one size up on both the pilot and main so will contact jetsrus and get an assortment.
I'm starting to wonder if it is a characteristic of this year KDX.
It seems to me like it does not want to be on the needle at all, good pull at the bottom - flat flat flat - then cleans out and runs strong.
I have an 82 IT175 with very similar power delivery (except no bottom), should the KDX be better?

Thanks the input
pkenney
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by pkenney »

6DP1 needle solved it!

I ran out of options on the jetting with nothing making much of a difference at all in the midrange.
I am storing a buddy's mint 87 and decided to try his carb on my bike but it acted the same.
In fact his bike had the same stagger through the midrange so I was starting to think I was expecting too much from an old bike.

Just as a last try I put the 6DP1 on my bike and what a huge difference, very linear power until the top end hit - no flat spot.
330Main/30Pilot/6DP1 clip P3/Uni Filter Works for me!