Aftermarket carburetors

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
linny

Aftermarket carburetors

Post by linny »

I had an idea on my 84 KDX 200 that I want to use a Mikuni VM34 series as a replacement instead of doing a rebuild. The original carb says it's a 33mm bore and I thought I would go 1mm up to see if it would improve performance. The reason I would choose to do this as it is hard to find replace oem replacement parts for this carburetor. The VM34 has lots of aftermarket support for it still and I think it would be worth a shot. Anyone who has done this or other things to consider? The only thing I guess would be the size of the venturi fitting into the intake. This is the carb I wanted to use in question http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Pro ... RB&CartID=
-Linny
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Aftermarket carburetors

Post by Julien D »

I would avoid the round slide carb, personally. Keihin PWK or Mik TM would be better suited, IMO. My preference is the PWK, but I guess we all stick to what we know best, right?
linny

Aftermarket carburetors

Post by linny »

Ok. I found this TM for sale. Do you know if the oem cable throttle tube assembly will work on these? It looks like it operates the same where it connects to the plate inside the carbutetorhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GV2D7 ... ot_redir=1
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No clue on the cable, sorry.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aftermarket carburetors

Post by osobad »

My experience is the mik carbs are more sensitive to jetting and can be very finiky at times much prefer keihin . on a 2t anyway
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^ agreed.
linny

Post by linny »

What about the PJ34? It is a round slide but seems like a good bet? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-PJ34mm-C ... 1685560619
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're basing your "good bet" on price alone, sure. With enough patience you should be able to get it to work at least as well as the stock carb. You would probably be better served with even a used PWK or TMX though. The flat and d slide carbs were a huge improvement over the round slides when they were introduced, and they still are. that's why they are pretty much all anyone runs anymore.
linny

Post by linny »

I was looking at an aftermarket carb because it is a pain to find rebuild parts (needle valves) etc for them. I wouldn't purchasing another carb that still has aftermarket support for them. I am not worried to much about jetting, but as I am on a budget with the bike I think I might take the risk and buy a Mikuni TM flatslide carb. Also, when it comes to the OEM carb it has a problem starting when its cold. I've cleaned out the jets. The P/O put a fuel filter in the line. When I was troubleshooting it the first time I did check it and it seemed to flow ok. Now I'm wondering if its clogged. I can't remember having a fuel filter on any of my newer bikes. Do the newer bikes run a fuel a fuel filter in the tank or do they not have one completely?
-Linny