coolant from overflow 1991 kdx 250

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
lcc

coolant from overflow 1991 kdx 250

Post by lcc »

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've not found anyone with my exact problem. My 1991 KDX 250 has started dripping coolant from the overflow tube. The bike runs fine, with no excessive smoke, so I don't think it's the head gasket. ? However, the coolant does bubble in the radiator from the moment I get it started. Could this apparent bubbling be from the normal movement of the coolant in a vibrating motorcycle? I checked to see about the gear oil, and it appears fine, but seems to have a blue line at the top of it, which matches my Engine Ice coolant (I'm hoping this isn't just an illusion through my sight glass). Otherwise, it is clear and clean looking, not milky...I'm thinking maybe water would give milky look but maybe Engine Ice doesn't. ? This could be unrelated, but I can see bubbling in the gear oil through the sight glass when the bike is idling. Surely this couldn't just be from the vibrating of the engine. ? The impeller looks to be in good shape, but that's as far as I've gone behind that cover.

Most of the bad water pump seal threads I've seen tend to show up as milky gear oil. My problem is the dripping coolant after riding for a while. I notice the dripping when it is idling, letting it run the bowl out of gas with the fuel off when I'm about to put it away.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: coolant from overflow 1991 kdx 250

Post by royadams »

If its dripping my guess would be it needs a new radiator cap. A head gasket leak can not put water in the gear box. Pull the plug and look at it and the top of the piston if it is leaking it will usually wash it clean .