No power in 1 or 2 gear

Post by Tdogg500 »

My 1993 kdx 200 has no power until I get to 3rd gear.any suggestions
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: No power in 1 or 2 gear

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Can you give some specifics on air filter, reeds, carburetor, etc. condition? How long have you had the bike? Is this something that has just came up, or has it always been this way since you got the bike??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

The engine doesnt know what gear the bike is in. I vote for clutch slipping.
Greenbandit200

Post by Greenbandit200 »

It could be the clutch if it is reving out rapidly but no acceleration. it could be running to lean. If you twist it all the way and it takes it's time to get up in the top of the pipe. Then it might be starving for fuel. It can't feed the motor as fast as the demands of the rapidly rising rpm of the high gears but when you get to third gear and the rpm don't rise as fast cause of length of the gear is longer in a lower gear then there might be a carb problem. If 3_4_5_6 run pretty good then try turning your mixture screw out a couple of turns, and then back to the same spot. If that doesn't work, try turning it out or in small increments till you get it. Could be the choke interfering. If all else fails, with the bike running put your hand over the carb and block the air off till it dies. This will use the air that the motor is pulling in and suck threw the Jets and ports and will sometimes pull small blockages threw. It has saved me more than once. Hope that helps? Good luck
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As Timtee noted, the engine has no idea what gear you're in. If its running in 3-6 changing carb settings isn't going to do much unless it only runs bad in a specific throttle opening range then yes, it could be a carb issue. What do you mean by no power? Can't pick the front wheel up? Doesn't rev out? Clutch issue youusually notice more in the higher gears at higher RPMs. What's your current gearing? All the stuff Jason asked? Need more info to help you sort it.