'89 200 with "no compression"

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
goonboy

'89 200 with "no compression"

Post by goonboy »

I'm going to look at an '89 for sale cheap that LOOKS like it's straight and not molested or abused, but the owner says it has "no compression", hasn't done anything to it since HE got it from the guy that rebuilt it, and says this:

"the top and bottom end we're [sic] just rebuilt according to the previous owner. When he got the bike back he ran it out on the trial for a very short time and lost power, believe it's the power valve (KIPS System) "

CAn the KIPS system cause this to happen? I asked him if it was seized (thinking the previous guy rebuilt it then ran it too lean), but he says it kicks over freely.

I've owned Hondas and Yamahas and split the cases down to the main bearings, so I'm not afraid of working on it, I'm just trying to gamble on whether it might be related to the KIPS, or if I can probably bank on pulling the cylinder as well.

Anything I could check while looking at the bike to make any determination?

Thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: '89 200 with "no compression"

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have a compression tester?

If he will allow it, taking the exhaust pipe off and looking into the exhaust port at a few different views of the piston passing through its stroke may help to determine condition.

Look at the spark plug for any shiny particles.

The most common cause of failure on REALLY cheap dirt bikes is someone neglected a proper maintenance schedule on the piston and rings, letting it run until the piston suffers metal fatigue and shatters.

"new top end" is the most common lie on craigslist. Without at least receipts, that means nothing.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: '89 200 with "no compression"

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, I would suspect piston/ring failure or wear. The KIPS can be completely removed and the bike will still run, albeit not great. Jason's suggestions are good ones if the owner allows it. One thing to keep in mind is that if the top is bad, you have no idea what the bottom is like, and the Es (89-94) are getting harder and harder to find parts, particularly engine bits. If it's not a steal I'd pass IMO (of course I say that and every KDX guy on here knows I'd probably buy it, bad mouth the PO and dump a ton of money into it anyways...and they'd all do the same :lol: )