oversize cylinder

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
kdx rider

oversize cylinder

Post by kdx rider »

hello all, i have a 93 kdx 200 i am rebuilding. it has a cylinder that measures 72mm (standard being 66mm). it is sleeved and recently nicasiled. having trouble locating a 72mm piston. i know this sounds odd but the old piston was 72mm and cyl was just sleeved. during rebuild i had the scarred cyl nicasiled and now cant find a piston. any help would be greatly appreciated
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: oversize cylinder

Post by KDXGarage »

I think someone else was looking for one just a week ago. Look back a few threads.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

By the way, do you have the power valve system? I was once told by a highly skilled tuner that the power valves would not work with the 240 kit (I assume that is what you have). Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
david

Re: oversize cylinder

Post by david »

Can you locate a part number on the old piston?
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
WilmingtonKDX

oversize cylinder

Post by WilmingtonKDX »

@kdx rider I searched high and low for a piston to fit a 1990 KDX200 with the 240 big bore kit. Cylinder measured 72mm. I talked to Wiseco who originally made the piston for LA Sleeve and was told they quit making it in 2005. LA Sleeve doesnt have one laying around. I spoke with Eric Gorr and the folks at Kustom Kraft and they recommended finding a used stock cylinder. Easier said than done, but I tracked one down and ordered it Tuesday.

I looked also for a 72mm piston with similarish specs and the closest I got was a 1984 KX250 piston, but it runs an 18mm wrist pin, so you would have to replace the wrist pin bearing with a thin bushing or have the piston bosses bushed down to 16mm.

The cylinder I ordered comes with piston and power valves. I am crossing my fingers that nothing is missing. Best of luck!
kdx rider

oversize cylinder

Post by kdx rider »

i will see if i still have the old piston to check for a part number. thanks for the replies. looks like the 18mm wrist pin is going to be the problem