Fork spring searches in vain

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Hi all,
I just acquired a like-new '94 KDX200. The fork springs are too soft for me. What I need is a spring rate of about .36 kg or so, but the only outfit that carries aftermarket springs (that I can find) is race tech, and their selection starts at .42 kg. I got this bike for riding very slow technical ST so I don't want or need the higher spring rates...I've used .42's on my past H models with USD's and that is too stiff for the kind of riding and terrain I'm using this bike for.

Does anyone know of another source of springs for this bike? I also have a message in to Fredette, and although they just list the same race tech springs, they might possibly know of another avenue. If they have an alternative, I'll share it here.

Also, does anyone have experience with custom-made springs should that become necessary? I don't want to do another front end swap with this bike.

Thanks for any info...
Tom

EDIT:
Race tech had Eibach springs listed but when I went to order they didn't have any. They don't know where I can get the springs....bummer.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork spring searches in vain

Post by KDXGarage »

First. EIBACH will not work. I have test fitted them.

Rave Tech will work. ALSO, the springs that Fredette used to sell will work. ( they used to ten. 12 , years ago)

Stock 1995+ will not fit.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the 94, by the way!

Keep an eye on eBay. Some of the older model springs show up at times.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I'll keep my eyes open for something on Ebay, but I've also emailed an outfit that says they'll make custom springs. If they respond, I'll let you guys know.
Thanks for the info, Jason.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cannon Racecraft makes springs.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What happened to your 1987??
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Cannon is the outfit I sent a message to. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.
As for the '87, I sold it. I live on the west coast of CA, and a fellow KDX enthusiast from east Texas drove all the way out to get it!
Sold my H model too. All this came after a disaster where I ran out of steam in a deep mountain hole...partly due to kick-starting a bike (a KDX)... and almost croaking from exhaustion (no kidding, I'm 70 now)...so I've decided I need the e-start. I bought a Beta Xtrainer...it is a KDX on steroids. Similar seat height, similar perimeter frame, a suspension for the knarly...and a great smooth 300cc torquey motor. It actually weighs a bit less than a KDX even with the e-start!
But...here in Kalifornica, I can only ride that bike during "red sticker" season, hence the need for a bike I can ride in the summer months. I paid top dollar for the '94, but it only has 1000 miles on it...the thing looks brand new, shiney plastic and all. It is a couple of pounds lighter than the H models I've used for years and the seat height is exactly the same as the Beta (also slightly lower than the H models)! It came with the FMF fatty setup, and 1-1/8 bars. I'm stoked, if I can get the suspension setup on it...I had a '90 back in the day and I liked the engine better than the H model 200. If worse comes to worst I can put a more modern USD setup on it, but I don't think it is necessary if I can get the right springs, and stick some gold valves in it. I'm going to use it for really tight stuff, and I'm sure it will shine there. I still love the simplicity and trail-worthiness of the mighty KDX!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I just got the return email from Cannon Racecraft...they will make a set of .36's for $140.00. I ordered a set. I sent them the length and width racetech uses for their replacement springs, i.e., 35.8mm X 472mm.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HOLY COW!! 70! That is awesome. Getting stuck in a ditch is not! I am glad you got out. I got stuck for a few hours one time on my '85 KDX80 (back in '85 / '86) due to steep hill / years of leaves in the fall and nearly bald tire from being a kid that rode on pavement and wore the tire down. :shock:

Good job to get springs. I have had them apart before. 472 mm will give you 10 mm of preload. As Race Tech is recommending 4 mm the past few years, and I have heard others say similar in the TT suspension forum, you might want to go a touch less on length. You can use washers on springs that are a few mm less, but you can't make them shorter without cutting them.

Do you have the stock top triple clamp? I know you said 1 1/8" bars, but did not mention if it was the stock triple clamp or not (with adapters). You can get a 1990 KX125 / KX250 / KX500 clamp to use the removable handlebar clamps. Or... you can get super lucky like me and buy one with the Answer Pro Taper billet upper clamp. :boogie:

If you did not get the springs, then KDX250 forks with .35 stock or KLX300 with .38 stock may have been an option.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The bike has the stock upper triple with adaptors...that little bit of added height works well for me. I think I'm going to stick with the same length spring as ordered, 10mm doesn't seem like too much preload to me...we'll see how it handles.

For those who are interested, I got a response from Jeff Fredette, who said the lightest spring he has for an E model USD is .38 kg.
I'm going through the bike, and am looking forward to riding a familiar partner again. Love the KDX's.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy the '94.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I installed the Cannon Racecraft .36 springs and Race Tech gold valves in the bike. The springs are high quality, they even engraved the rate on the ends. Fit perfectly and ride perfectly. The 472mm length provides only about 2-3 mm preload with the cap lock-nut bottomed on the top of the cartridge threads, so if you want even less, you can simply hold the locking nut off by another few millimeters. I generally like just zero to a couple of millimeters preload, where you can spin the spring with little effort. The Race Tech gold valves kit didn't include the necessary backing plates, but I luckily had a couple laying around. (They also didn't include the correct valving chart for the KDX, but I had access to the correct one from another kit I bought for a different machine...so Race Tech gets a "blah" for this kit.) I took the bike out for a few runs and ended up with 110 mm fork oil height which gives good travel but still firm and progressive toward full compression. I used amsoil light five, which is about 2.5 wt or so. Bottom line, the stock USD forks work very well, much better than similarly- Gold Valve modified H model conventionals I've owned in the past. I'm very happy with this setup. Even with the light oil, the fork rebound is sufficient, so not having an external adjuster is not the problem I thought it would be.

The fork springs ended up costing $150 including shipping with about a two-week wait. I highly recommend Cannon Racecraft - quality springs for sure.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the follow up.