No top end power

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: No top end power

Post by KDXohio »

This has not been solved yet I unfortunately have benched the KDX for the season as I managed to smack the rear rotor on a rock at put a huge bend in it and busted something in the tranny (ratchet spring I'm hoping)
So this will have to wait until spring probably as I wont be tearing into the shifting issue until at least the first of the year.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Alright guys after an extremely busy winter (Ops manager for snow removal where I work), I finally have an update. I really don't remember what I've even put into this thread so far so instead of re-reading it I'll just recap and post the solution.

I have always suspected my kdx to be lacking on top but never had much to compare it too, it was still very powerful but I felt I was short shifting and missing a few revs. Well I was riding in michigan last year and suddenly developed a shifting issue I literally had to hold the shift up or down to keep the bike in gear. That made some fast tight trail riding very tricky. At that time the kdx just got parked for the season as I've got other bikes I can ride. So after taking the clutch cover off expecting to find the shift spring broken or out of place, what I actually found was the answer to both my problems!

The power valve actuator pin, part# 13236-1190, that rides in the grove on the governor had broken off and wedged behind the shifter and the case. With that removed and the power valve actuator replaced....Wow I found those missing rpms!

What's scary is the thought of how long that has been floating around in there before it finally got stuck in the shifter. :hmm: :blink: :blink:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Nice that the one part fixed both issues and didn't cause more damage! Thanks for the update.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

The top end on a well sorted kdx is amazing!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

glad you got it figured out! :partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128