E-series kips main valve seizing????

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
KDXohio
Supporting Member

E-series kips main valve seizing????

Post by KDXohio »

Alright guys so I've been trying to work through this problem for the last few days with no luck as far as I can tell my Kips power valves are assembled correctly and timed correctly I have pulled them out and put them back in three four maybe five times now however every time I put the front main valve cover on it won't sit flush against the cylinder there is a slight Gap about a fingernail width. And when I tighten it down even loosely it seizes the whole system up any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated I just cannot figure this out! :please:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E-series kips main valve seizing????

Post by bufftester »

When you install the main valve did you make sure to align the groove in the valve with the gasket surface on the head before installing the rod and sub valves per the service manual?? Does everything operate prior to connecting the actuator and installing the cover on the main? And is the wave washer installed in the main valve between the bushing and the valve? That is only on the 89-91 models and sometimes gets overlooked. Are these OEM valves or the SS ones out of the UK? The valves are slightly different between the 89-91 and the 92-94, curious as to which ones they used for their modeling.
david

Post by david »

The different valve is only the center one, and that one is not replaced when using the steel valves so that shouldn't matter.

That is going to be a tough one to diagnose without having it in my hand. Maybe something in the valve bore towards the piston, that is preventing the valve from going in as deep as it needs to.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well you guys may have figured out the problem I bought a set of valves lightly-used from a 93 and just put the whole set in I did not realize the main valve was different the wave washer is installed but I used the 93 valve instead of my 89 valve why just because it came with the other ones no specific reason I will try and swap valves and see what happens thanks guys!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
david

Post by david »

That will probably do it. Post a comparison picture of the two together.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: E-series kips main valve differences

Post by KDXohio »

david wrote:That will probably do it. Post a comparison picture of the two together.
That was exactly my problem! As soon as I swapped in the 89 valve the cover slipped right on and everything is still nice and smooth! David I apologize I thought I took a picture when I pulled them but it either didn't save or I'm crazy but I can describe them the 93 main valve has a flat spot on the gear portion to allow the actuator to pass across on the 89 the gear goes all the way around 360 degrees with a cove to allow you to pull the valve forward for the rod to pass along like the side valves.
david

Post by david »

That make sense. My manual is for an '89, and the instructions for getting the actuator shaft out didn't work for my '90. I had to keep playing with it till I figured it out when I replaced my KIPS valves.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Glad you got it sorted, it's these weird little one off things they did in the same series of bikes that seems to get glossed over in the manuals.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Yeah I probably took the valves out 6 or 7 times before even asking you guys! With this project I've also found out that the head stay in 89 used a smaller diameter bolt than 90+ and the 89 frame has the lower chain roller drilled through the frame instead of the mount tack welded to the back side of the frame rail in 90+