92 kdx200

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
avyz66

92 kdx200

Post by avyz66 »

about at my wits end here. Where can I find a gas tank or is there another year or a mod for a tank I can use? I have another one on mine but the seat hates it. looks like well you know. HELP!
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

92 kdx200

Post by Dekon »

Any 89-94 KDX200 tank should fit.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 92 kdx200

Post by Goofaroo »

I’ve got a 92 and the tank has a crack where the petcock bolts on. I figured I’d find a used tank on EBay but no such luck as of yet. I then decided to splurge on a new oversized tank but haven’t found one. They are available for the C models and the H models but not the E.

I guess it’s time for me to dabble with plastic welding.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

After reading your post, I thought surely there are tanks on eBay. NOPE. I saw that 12 have been sold in the last 90 days. That surprised me, too!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:04 pm Mar 25 2019 After reading your post, I thought surely there are tanks on eBay. NOPE. I saw that 12 have been sold in the last 90 days. That surprised me, too!
As I recall it’s fairly common for the E tanks to crack around the petcock area just like mine has done. It makes it a somewhat difficult repair because the area where it is cracked needs to be completely flat so the petcock can seal properly. I’m going to call Clark, IMS, and Acerbis but if I can’t find an aftermarket tank I’m going to try to come up with a durable repair for my original tank.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would just keep an eye on eBay. One has sold every 8 days in the last 90 days, so maybe it won't be long until another one shows up.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

Goofaroo wrote: 12:59 pm Mar 25 2019 I’ve got a 92 and the tank has a crack where the petcock bolts on. I figured I’d find a used tank on EBay but no such luck as of yet. I then decided to splurge on a new oversized tank but haven’t found one. They are available for the C models and the H models but not the E.

I guess it’s time for me to dabble with plastic welding.
Where can an oversized tank for C model be found?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Sorry. I meant an aftermarket tank. I don’t need a new tank for my 87 model but I noticed they are available for the C model and even some of the earlier models. I have no idea if they are offered in larger sizes.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

The tank on my 89 KDX 200 also cracked in the petcock area. To fix it, I removed the petcock. Then I used a hot glue gun w/o the glue stick.
I used the tip of the hot glue gun to just melt (seal) the crack using only the tank material. I used a circular or stitching motion. I hoped this fix would get me though the day or weekend, but it lasted for years. I forgot about the repair when I sold the bike. I let the glue gun get really hot for awhile before I started. Let the tank air out real good just in case.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.