Spooge like nobody's business!

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Hey all, on my 92 200 tonight: I
had cleaned out the soaked old stock silencer packing and repacked with fiberglass a few weeks ago. The middle piece of the silencer is missing. Then the bike sat for a few weeks after I put it back together. So I started it up tonight, and it would only fire with the throttle held wide open (usually needs choke if it's been sitting more than a day). I was able to baby it until it evened out, then rode it down the street once or twice. Idle was working well again. Continued to run better as I did this and felt just about back to normal when I returned up the driveway. It was night time, and it was running for a whole 10 min maybe. When I went to roll into the garage, I discovered that the swingarm was totally covered in spooge, looked like it was coming out of the exhaust header/silencer connection. It was on the wheel, all over the swingarm, inside the rear fender, inside the panel, what a mess!

Thankfully it wiped away pretty easily and wasn't super thick like my spooge usually tends to be. So what happened? Is this from the fuel sitting and separating(I'm on reserve)? Pooling in the exhaust while it sat? Something other than spooge?

Thanks for your ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Spooge like nobody's business!

Post by ohgood »

bad crank seals?
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Did you put that rubber clamp that holds the two together on properly? I just got a pro circuit spark arrester and now have a little spooge at that joint and a lot running down from the end cap!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

ohgood wrote:bad crank seals?
Hope not, just rebuilt the bottom end and have 10 hrs on it or so. The problem cleared up, almost like it just needed a flush. I'll see what is like in a few days.

Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

jjavaman wrote:Did you put that rubber clamp that holds the two together on properly? I just got a pro circuit spark arrester and now have a little spooge at that joint and a lot running down from the end cap!
I might not have sealed it up well. That would explain the location of it conning out, but not the quantity.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Did you make sure to get a good case seal using Yamabond, or equivalent, on the case halves?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Yes. My first thought is that there was just a lot of spooge accumulated in there. But that wouldn't explain the rough running at first. Something was in the cylinder. Shoot.
Unless the oil settled to the bottom while it was sitting? I was running on reserve.

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

if it sat for a while, the gas (premix) may have evaporated and left you with a lot of oil in the combustion chamber.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

It's hot here. That's a valid idea.

Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

when you ride "pokey" before putting it in the garage then more oil collects in the crankcase. Then when you ride "on the pipe" the higher RPM cleans out the excess oil from the crank.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Jaguar wrote:when you ride "pokey" before putting it in the garage then more oil collects in the crankcase. Then when you ride "on the pipe" the higher RPM cleans out the excess oil from the crank.
Im usually trying to wheelie up the driveway before going in the garage.
Once I got my exhaust straightened out (stock silencer missing the middle baffle doesn't work so well) it stopped spooging excessively.