No coolant from bleed screw?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
criggs9901
Supporting Member

No coolant from bleed screw?

Post by criggs9901 »

Hey guys, I did some searching and couldn't quite find an answer on an issue I'm having. The coolant needed to be changed on my '90 KDX200 (it was just rusty water), so I drained and flushed everything, and removed and cleaned the overflow bottle. I filled the radiators slowly, then the bottle second (as the service manual states), then with the cap OFF I removed the air bleeder screw on top of the cylinder head, and no coolant came out. I left the screw out for at least 10 minutes and nothing, not a drop of coolant. I even kicked it over slowly a few times and still nothing. I put everything back together and ran it for a bit, didn't overheat and the coolant level didn't drop at all, but I just wanted to ask and see if this is normal. Never had to deal with bleeding a cooling system on any of my other bikes, so trying to play it safe. We mostly ride in 80-100 degree desert weather, so the last thing I need is a cooling issue =P.
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
david

Re: No coolant from bleed screw?

Post by david »

Bleed hole is probably stopped up. You may need to remove the water neck at the top of the head to clean it completely. The screw shouldn't have to be removed all the way to purge the air from the system. There is a small hole in the screw that allows air/water out when unscrewed three or four turns, but that is stopped up too.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki