Coolant Disaster

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Keshyoma

Coolant Disaster

Post by Keshyoma »

Hey guys, in the ongoing saga of repairing my 91 kdx, things have taken a horribly wrong turn. I thought i had everything reassembled right (after a top end rebuild), went to add fluids, and lo and behold coolant flooded into the cylinder, carb, exhuast and crankcase. I know I know, I screwed something up big time. I didn't use a gasket sealer on the main gaskets, thats probably part of it. Anyways, I'm trying to drain a gallon of coolant from everything and the only thing I cant figure out how to drain is the crankcase. I thought it was through the oil drain plug, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'll get a picture up here shortly.

I found out it wasn't a mistake in assembly, theres a crack in the head on the outer portion of the KIPS valve allowing coolant to seep through the water jacket.
Keshyoma

Coolant Disaster

Post by Keshyoma »

Here; How the heck do I drain this??
Last edited by Keshyoma on 06:32 pm Mar 21 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Coolant Disaster

Post by Dekon »

The picture isn't showing, but someone else on here had that issue(if it is a crack under the KIPS cover on the left hand side).

Here's the link, there are pictures about 1/2 way down the page.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ak#p181100
Keshyoma

Re: Coolant Disaster

Post by Keshyoma »

Yup, I have a crack in the exact same place, that is EXACTLY what happened as in the thread you linked. Ill end up taking it to a machine shop and asking a pro to weld it, but man am I upset.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No sealer on the gaskets

Turn the engine upside down and drain or a syringe and house, paper towels at the end
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Put the mag cover back on first. No need to soak the electrics with antifreeze. You might want to flush the crank case with something to displace the coolant. Premix should work. Not a big deal. No more mess than if you drowned the engine in a creek. No harm.
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Post by TheGriz »

x2 on just turning the engine upside down to drain it. I don't use sealer on the top end.

Curious about your crack. You mentioned that the head is also cracked? So, the cylinder and head are both cracked? Is it cracked on the inside also? Just wondering how the coolant got into the cylinder.

BTW - That link was to the rebuild of my 91. I feel your pain. Can you show us pics of the cracks?
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300