My brother got sold a bike without a piston or kips!

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
KDXcruisin

Post by KDXcruisin »

the seller told him the 94 e series needed a new top end, so he got it for 400 and we put it aside. We finally got to opening it up and found there was no piston or valves. not a lot to do about it now, but I just wanted to tell someone who would care.
bergilong

Re: My brother got sold a bike without a piston or kips!

Post by bergilong »

You don't need those, it's just weight reduction. The lack of a piston is no big deal, it was going to be replaced anyways. The lack of the power valve is an issue though. Is the whole KIPS system missing or just the valves? The valves are pretty cheap on eBay, but I'd like to have someone else's opinion on if it would be a good idea to buy used valves.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
bergilong

Post by bergilong »

All the cheap power valves were for H models. I found this, but it is pretty expensive and you have to keep in mind that you would be buying used parts with no guarantee. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3718736209 ... noapp=true

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW. When they said it needed a new top end, they sure weren't kidding. :cry:

Search around on the site BDK Engineering in the UK, who makes steel replacement valves.

Sorry to hear he got lied to like that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

So definitely no test ride before buying it . . .

Before I would spend any money on a piston and valves I would check over the rest the bike. I would specifically take a really close look at the bottom and to make sure it doesn't need to be rebuilt

Before you start spending any money on it might be a good idea to know just what else needs to be replaced and decide if you want to put that much money into the bike
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That's actually a good suggestion. I'm guessing most or all of the wheel bearing, linkage bearing, etc. will need to be replaced. You might do better parting out the bike although I hate to see one destroyed that way. Otherwise, check the condition of the cylinder first. (Were the 94's nikasil coated?) If it needs re-plating, you might check with the companies like Millinium and see if they have a KIPS valve or parts laying around. Long shot, but maybe. If they don't , they may at least know where you might find one.
WoodThinkAgain

Post by WoodThinkAgain »

Hi guys,

I'm the brother. I've used this as a parts bike to fix up my '93 KDX, so I've gotten my $400 out of the bike anyway. Really, I just wanted to see if I could get the engine going again so that I could swap it out when I needed to do the top end on my running '93. I've looked over some of the microfiches and it looks like there's a lot of stuff missing (basically everything involved with the kips). Not sure that it's worth fixing at this point, which stinks since the cylinder actually looks pretty good and the crank seems tight.

On the upside, I've stripped off both wheels, the linkage and swingarm. The rear shock is in good shape. Honestly, everything about the bike is in good working condition, it's just that the dude broke the kips and didn't mention that when he sold it. Bummer, but still not a bad deal.
fzrcraig

Post by fzrcraig »

If you do decide to fix the motor, I have a new BDK KIPS kit for the e-model that I would be willing to sell. Let me know if you are interested.

Craig
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I've put that BDK KIPS setup in two e series kdx200s now(both had a broken left power valve) and can vouch for it being top notch. You would still need the rack and center valve though. Don't waste your money on buying used LH or RH valves, IMO.
Nice to have a parts bike handy!

"Fun Wheel Drive"
WoodThinkAgain

Post by WoodThinkAgain »

Hi Craig. Do you still have that BDK KIPS kit? If so, I'm interested. Please get in touch and we can work something out.

Thanks,
Greg
Scottrider

Post by Scottrider »

Motoduro UK also sell replacement steel KIPS valves for this model but do not have the middle one.