kx 250 forks conversion or upgrade e forks?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

I recently rebuilt my e series forks with atf and filled to 4". The forks are still soft but I'm 5'11 with long arms so typically compensate by sitting farther back (not really compensating but natural to me) which works ok but sometimes me sitting so far back causes wash outs and get too comfy and don't pull myself up on the tank when hill climbing till it's too late and I'm wheelying uphill. I already have a 2000 kx 250 for fast stuff and use the kdx for woods stuff but I'm currently trying to figure out how to make the kdx forks more capable. So with what I currently have is it better to get the correct spring and cartridge emulator for 90 kdx forks or convert to kx 250 forks. $ is pretty much the same. If the '90 fork springs and emulators where cheap I would just go with that to start then move up but the price for kx conversion is actually lil cheaper. Also there is a cheap '93 roller kdx 200 with USD forks in my area. Could those be more tuneable? Thoughts?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kx 250 forks conversion or upgrade e forks?

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you considered just changing the springs and seeing how that feels?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDW
Supporting Member

Post by KDW »

I just did springs at first and it made a huge difference. My biggest problem with E series forks is the the laid back risers and underhand on the forks. Otherwise they do the trick for woods riding. I wouldn't waist my money on emulators though. I am now doing the KLX300 swap. Thought about the KX swap but realistically when I need a huge performance jump I will probably end up on a new bike or maybe a hybrid if I don't have anything else on my bench when the time comes.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

The USD forks from the 93 were better than the rest of the E series bikes as they're cartridge forks, but I wouldn't say that they're worth the "upgrade" effort. You'll have to do just about as much work to fit them as a kx swap, and still won't have much adjustability.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you thinking that you are going to just buy KX forks and that is it? Swapping to KX FRONT END is a bit more expensive than staying with your current forks.

You are looking at buying clamps, wheel and brakes with any upgrade.

What is your weight in full riding gear?

What is your terrain?
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

Ya the prices I have so far is roughly $300 for kx forks w clamps, seals, wheel and brake all added up from what I found on ebay last weekend doesn't include price for pressing in kdx stem but I've heard that's around $40 (sound right?). The price I have for just getting the H .37 springs is I found somebody that has 1 new on ebay for $55 but I'd have to buy the other one from a parts dealer for $80ish. So thats $135ish just for springs. Unless I could find used stock H springs for cheap. Anybody? I would just hate to spend that $ on springs only to find I want more and switch to kx fork anyway. I'm 180 with gear and I'm in central virginia around the blue ridge I ride the national forest atv trails, riversedge and backyard untouched woods stuff.
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

O.K. After reading back through these post 1 would think the obvious route is to keep the stock forks with proper springs BUT to clarify there are some decent jumps at the atv trails and a MX track at riversedge that I like to hit while I'm there woods riding. I'm looking to stretch what my kdx can do and am looking for possibly upward mobility with the kx forks. Also my kx 250 has factory connection setup forks and I'm sure they were revalved but I'm amazed how just the clickers you can go from too soft to too stiff. So was thinking the kx conv could help cover all bases. Can stock KX forks cover all bases or do they NEED a revalve?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you have the stock springs in the 1990 forks, they are 0.30 Kg / mm rate springs. If you could do some training and drop 100 pounds, you will be in the ball park. :lol: Otherwise, I would suggest some Eibach model 996 springs at 0.41 Kg / mm.

You should be able to find some KX forks that have around that rate spring stock. You can try to run the forks at full soft on compression, but some internal calving nasty work better.

I have a 2005 KX250. It would beat me up on the woods, even at full soft.