Sources for water in oil

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Rollingmenace

Sources for water in oil

Post by Rollingmenace »

Ok having a few issues with my budget Kdx .. It's an 89.. After purchase I did an oil change old oil had no real traces of moisture in it... First oil change and two local rides oil looked good.. 3rd ride on bike was a longer ride with several really deep water crossings 2-3ft after we got home I noticed the oil looked like strawberry quick.. I immediately changed the oil out with new gear saver.. Rode for a fourth ride dry and no moisture after I got home . Again strawberry milk oil... I'm not 100% sure if it could've been from residual moisture .. Or I'm possibly pulling water into gear case . But at 12.50 a quart for gear saver I'm not wanting to keep having to change oil... What are everybody's thoughts on this . I'm thinking the only real place that could be compromised is water pump seal... But I'd like opinions before tearing into bike...
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Sources for water in oil

Post by Fitterman24 »

I'd say trans vent tube because of the deep water. May take 2 changes before getting water flushed out of trans. Vent tube should go from trans to up near air box. Just use a Type F automotive transmission fluid to flush it clean. That's all I use in the bike, anyway. Got a buddy who uses Gearsaver, and he loves it. He just spends more money ha ha
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Sources for water in oil

Post by Jaguar »

residual water wouldn't cause it to be completely milky so I think you need to change the water pump seal
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, water pump seal. They are a weak point on the 89. Buy the seals for a later E series. 94 will work I think. It's a two piece seal. Tight fit but it will go. Also you have to make sure the impeller shaft isn't worn where the bearing/seals ride.
Rollingmenace

Post by Rollingmenace »

Thanks for the input guys I flushed any residual water out with atf and then topped off with gearsaver il gonna give it one more try before ordering new seals... Just gotta get this carb rebuilt and the front suspension finished up and then I'll test it out
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Also, the clutch activator (rod) has a seal that wears out and let's water into the trans. The last pump seal I did on mine, I bought a Winderosa complete seal kit, for less than stock water pump seals alone. The seals worked great and are all inclusive.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type