Top end seize

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Top end seize

Post by Friedom »

All head studs were installed the same way with double nuts, and all of the others snugged up evenly with the head on but that center most one has probably 5 more threads that it tightened before it firmed up.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have no clue on thread depth or length, but that stud is different than the other 7.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Yes I did notice that. Do you have an E motor?

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

not handy (close by)
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Top end seize

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Ouch! Just curious.... did you burp all the air out of the cooling system when you filled it up?
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Sure did, thanks! It's about time for me to retorque the head nuts, but my base gasket looks a little wet, new clutch cover gasket is leaking, new water pump seal was leaking. And yesterday the spring return action disappeared from the shifter. Guess I'm going in again.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Fun, fun. :oops:
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Update: opened up the right side cover and sure enough the shifter return spring was not connected. It might have been installed upside down by some bozo. All better now.
Also got a motion pro 12/14mm torque wrench extension tool to properly torque my head bolts. All leaks seem to be straightened out with re torqueing and she's running fast and hard, except I think I need a larger PJ as it's gutless off the line and air screw is at 1/2.

Here's the head bolt sticking up I was talking about:

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Also got the motion pro attachment for a torque wrench and finally torqued down my head and cylinder bolts properly. Not a single one was tight enough.
Previous build was done by Millenium Tech, but I didn't follow up after break in to ensure that they were tight enough. That could explain the conditions that led to engine failure too.
Sure runs great when it's all buttoned up!

"Fun Wheel Drive"
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Mmmm. Joy. :neutral:
ToXic

Post by ToXic »

Friedom wrote:Update: opened up the right side cover and sure enough the shifter return spring was not connected. It might have been installed upside down by some bozo. All better now.
Also got a motion pro 12/14mm torque wrench extension tool to properly torque my head bolts. All leaks seem to be straightened out with re torqueing and she's running fast and hard, except I think I need a larger PJ as it's gutless off the line and air screw is at 1/2.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Hi, I read this thread some months ago and happened to read it again just now, thank you for sharing your experience!
I am rebuilding (more like restoring) my E4 and doing the top end, just finished installing new head studs. All 7 around the head are one P/N which you can still buy, but the centre one is different and it is no longer available from Kawasaki. Fortunately, mine was ok, all the others were too rusty for my taste and so were replaced. Anyway, that particular singular stud is shorter and has a stop (see a photo of my cylinder). I am guessing someone installed a standard, longer stud which now sticks out more! If it does the job, that is fine :) Hope your bike is still up and running!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

ToXic wrote:
Friedom wrote:Update: opened up the right side cover and sure enough the shifter return spring was not connected. It might have been installed upside down by some bozo. All better now.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Hi, I read this thread some months ago and happened to read it again just now, thank you for sharing your experience!
I am rebuilding (more like restoring) my E4 and doing the top end, just finished installing new head studs. All 7 around the head are one P/N which you can still buy, but the centre one is different and it is no longer available from Kawasaki. Fortunately, mine was ok, all the others were too rusty for my taste and so were replaced. Anyway, that particular singular stud is shorter and has a stop (see a photo of my cylinder). I am guessing someone installed a standard, longer stud which now sticks out more! If it does the job, that is fine :) Hope your bike is still up and running!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cheers on your e4!

My bike is running incredibly well. Every time I ride it (not often) I'm surprised by how fun it is.