Jaguar adjustable CDI install on 1990 KDX200

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Hey all. I wanted to do a small thread on installing Jaguar's CDI on an E series bike. I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I figured it may help someone.

I will include some pictures of processes that may not be common knowledge. I will also have to update this later as I was unable to completely install the unit tonight.

To start with you will need to remove the seat, followed by the gas tank in order to get at the wires coming from the CDI.

Next you need to remove the bolt that holds the original CDI to the frame.

This is the point that I had to start making some modifications. The bolt holes provided on the Jaguar CDI box are quite small, too small for the original bolt to fit through.

I decided at this point I would try and enlarge the holes to fit the original bolt through. I used a dremel and made quick work of making the holes bigger.

At this point I thought GREAT! Now I can just bolt it on and be good to go. WRONG! The bolt fits perfectly through the back, but not through the front.

The problem is obvious. The washer base of the bolt catches the body of the CDI so that it doesn't fit straight. I'm going to try and find a bolt that will fit, more than likely a round shaped allen head bolt or maybe a set screw.

Other than this issue the rest of the unit looks great. Here is a picture of the inside with the switches( also available on Jaguar's website).

I'm starting with both the switches in the high position. I plan on trying all the different settings to see which I like best. I will update once I get a proper bolt and will show the connections with the wires. I may also do some videos of the bike on different settings to "show" how the affect the bike.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Jaguar adjustable CDI install on 1990 KDX200

Post by Jaguar »

Here's my video about the performance CDI:
The plastic box it comes in isn't proportioned right for bolting it on. My idea was just to use silicone to hold it in place.
Here is the info for the version 6 shown in this thread: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDIinstall.html
Here is the info for the version 7 which I now offer: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDIadjust.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Jaguar wrote:Here's my video about the performance CDI:
The plastic box it comes in isn't proportioned right for bolting it on. My idea was just to use silicone to hold it in place.
Here is the info for the version 6 shown in this thread: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDIinstall.html
Here is the info for the version 7 which I now offer: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDIadjust.html
I guess I don't see how you could just silicone it to the bike? Once the thing starts vibrating and running over rocks and logs I'd feel the silicone would give out pretty quick. I'd much rather have it bolted to the frame as the original was. Can you elaborate on how you would go about this?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

the CDI is super light weight so bumps don't present a problem. Just glue it to the snorkel plate where the original one was. If you don't have a plate then shame on you. It is necessary to prevent ingestion of muddy water. To have less flow resistance than the original setup just chunk the snorkel and make the hole larger and then devise a way to not allow muddy water go down onto the air filter. see http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/MX.html about half way down the page.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Your CDI must have been bolted to a different position because mine is no where near the airbox lid, nor have I seen any pictures of one mounted to the air box lid. On mine the CDI is mounted directly to the right side of the frame near the radiator. My regulator/rectifier is mounted to the air box, but there is no way I would be able to mount the CDI there without putting a very long extension on the wires.

I think I am going to mount the box flipped around( I.E. with the cover on the outside). I can not find any easy way to mount it in the proper direction. If the back cover was another couple of inches longer it would be no problem.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It appears Kawasaki moved the CDI to the air box lid on the H series bikes. I found some pictures online showing it there. I may see if I can do this with my E series.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

A little update:

I spent some time this morning working on mounting the unit. I spent a couple days exploring different bolt options, including a set screw, to use in securing the unit.

I first tried this round head Allen bolt. It worked well and secured the CDI, until I went too tight with it and broke the plastic hole off the backplate.

After this I decided I would mount it to the airbox lid. There was a spot cut out identical to where the regulator is mounted and even had the threads there already. I had to get a bit creative but I ended up using a longer bolt and a big washer. I tightened the bolt just enough to where the washer has pressure to keep the CDI in place. I tried moving it with my hand and it seems rigid enough and does not interfere with the seat.

All I need to do now is add some length to a few of the wires. It appears the H series bikes had extra connectors in place so that the CDI could be used on the airbox lid. I almost like the idea of the CDI being under the seat instead of exposed to the elements.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

I finished up all the wiring after work tonight and fired her up! It started after a couple kicks and idled well. There was a couple moments where it sort of hesitated but picked right up out of it. This could have been from my cleaned air filter as I use the spray on FAB-1 oil and it sometimes saturates the filter. The bike was revving out as well. It also seemed to idle a bit higher but that could have just been my imagination. Now I need to get out and ride it to see how it performs.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Hey Jaguar. Ive been trying to read your message you sent me but my member status hasn't been updated yet after my donation. I'll message you once I get it.
MotoArts

Post by MotoArts »

90SDKDX, what's the verdict?
Can't leave us hanging... :razz:
'97 KDX220, '84 YZ125, '81 YZ250, '78 RM250C2, '80 RM100T, '04 KTM 250SX,
'82 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo, survivor
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet. Between the fourth of July festivities, work, and other boring adult necessities, I simply haven't had time. I've also been busy working on other projects. I'm hoping this Sunday I can get out and ride. I'll let you guys know how the bike performs.