New steed

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New steed

Post by Friedom »

Hey all,
Happened to notice a 93 KDX200 nearby on Craigslist. New fmf, plastics front and back, complete bike but "weak spark" condition. Supposedly running, very clean looking. At first I was going to get it for parts, but if it doesn't need much I'll get it running as a play bike for my brother (and on his dime!). Paid $600 tonight. A friend is picking it up tomorrow and I'll be getting it from him in two weekends.
Oh yeah, he says it has an oversize tank too. Yeah buddy!
My 92 is coming along, engine rebuilt, plastics cleaned up, all parts in order, new tires, bout to reassemble with rm250 front end.
So I have an extra conventional stock DX front end hanging around, but the 93 comes with USDs. If I have to rebuild one or the other, will it matter much which one I rebuild? Love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New steed

Post by Friedom »

I'll be the first to reply to my own thread.
Check this beauty out!

eprovenzano

Post by eprovenzano »

Nice score... All you need are some fork protectors... looks to be in good shape.
1991 KDX basket case... being rebuilt
2001 KTM EXC 380... two stroke heaven
2000 KTM EXC 300, son's
1993 Kawaski Bayou 400 4x4
2008 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silverado
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks!
He replaced the plastics, so that adds more shine. I've got an extra top end gasket set from my rebuild, so I think I'll give it a top end once over, check the valves, etc.
After riding it around some..

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Nice bike. Along with fork protectors, you may want to re-route the brake line on the inside of the fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Is that what ask the talk about routing is about? That's terrifying, now that I see it!

eprovenzano

Post by eprovenzano »

Sullyfam wrote:Nice bike. Along with fork protectors, you may want to re-route the brake line on the inside of the fork.

WOW!!!!... I didn't catch that one... that could have gotten very interesting...
2000 KTM EXC 300, son's
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Update: brought it home tonight on the hitch carrier. Was absent minded and didn't put a third tie in to pull the bike forward, so when I rounded a long left turn the bike unloaded the front wheel, took the tension off the straps, feel over and dragged into the parking lot that was thankfully right there.
Only damage was some grinding away at the spark arrestor, rear axle and a little fender scuffing.
And the sub frame bolt fell out (wth?). Upon closer inspection, I see that the bike had been assembled loosely - just enough to hold together for pictures and to sell. I guess it's a good thing, though, as it'll ensure that I go over it thoroughly.

Now on to the good news: It's got a pristine shiny Gold Series FMF, a cobra spark arrestor(??),
New ufo fenders and headlight, spare cdi, brand spanking new knobbies, almost nothing missing (except some bits, like those plate/bushing/plate hangers for the exhaust), rads are in good shape and holding coolant, and it might have an oversize tank (!!).
I have an extra top end gasket kit, so I'll be opening it up to inspect KIPS, rings, cylinder.
Projects!!

Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

That is the stock gas tank Image

Sent from my iPhone
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I think you're right. Ho hum.

david

Post by david »

Not really 'ho hum'. They are big from the factory, 3.2 gal (IIRC).
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Yes, I believe that's right. No one makes an aftermarket tank anymore, though, so I was hoping I scored one. I'm hoping to up the range for dual sport work.
I'll probably get some MSR bottles then..
Last edited by Friedom on 07:11 pm Feb 08 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Update: I took a few things off to get a better look at condition of things. Piston, head gasket look brand new. KIPS system is working well for center and right. Left valve has the broken off gear, but it was taken out entirely so that only the lower valve portion is still in there (it does rotate, although there's no gear to rotate it).
PO said he bought it from a friend to help him out with bills. The friend bought it from a shop that the bike was unclaimed from. That explains the upgrades (pipe, silencer, and overall clean condition) and the fresh top end. They probably couldn't find any KIPS valves to replace the broken one and called it quits or something.
I'm optimistic. Wish it wasn't the same valve that broke on both of my KDXs though, or I could combine working components. I'll probably order a set of steel valves, though I'm a little concerned about the member on here whose order got lost in postland..
Everything else is checking out pretty good, except the music exhaust hangers.
Anyone have spares leftover? SS?

eprovenzano

Post by eprovenzano »

I wouldn't hesitate to order the valves... Yes my order is lost in the mail.. But that is not the fault of the vendor. Brock is doing everything he can to help find the package. I'll get the valves... Eventually...

2000 KTM EXC 300, son's
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks for chiming in. I got a set from him for my other bike already, so it would probably be fine.

eprovenzano

Post by eprovenzano »

Correct.. I placed my order on Tuesday morning eastern time. My (still lost) valves were in the mail the same day. The items being lost in the mail, is not the fault of BDK Racing... They have tried to step up and help, but get the same story as me... we need to wait X days before filing a claim. The claim must be filed by the Vendor, which they've agreed to do on my behalf.

Please do not let my situation stop you from ordering a set of valves from BDK Racing. They are a good vendor who supports our efforts to keep these bikes running... we need to support them...
2000 KTM EXC 300, son's
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Agreed. I just ordered another set and thanked them for helping keep alive a great bike by fixing its Achilles' Heel.

Crawl Wheel Drive
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

So what's left of the KIPS actuates and is lubed very well. I cleaned what I could get to and greased the gears a little.
I can still see cross hatching on the cylinder, and the piston is shiny. I think it has a fresh top end!
When my new valves arrive, I'll take the cylinder off and properly clean and service the whole KIPS, but for now the head gasket even looks new, so I'm going to bolt it all together, put in some oil, hook up the electrics and see if I can fire this baby up! The more I look, the more I find this freshly serviced. Sweeeeet!

Crawl Wheel Drive
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Slowly but surely. Have a good spark, putting things together. I have to be really vigilant as there are lots of bolts loose or missing - like the lower shock bolt. :eek

Crawl Wheel Drive
MotoArts

Post by MotoArts »

It even has a kickstand! :cool:

I bought my 220 as a non running bike, had intermittent spark. Components and wiring all checked out OK, so as a last step I removed the stator assembly to check the coils. Even though the lighting coil was junk, I noticed that there was a bit of corrosion between the aluminum bracket/plate and the case. I wire wheeled and silicone greased the bosses where the screws go, and full spark returned.

Mine, too, needed a complete chassis safety check. Looked outwardly nice, but every nut and bolt had been touched at least once and was either wrong, stripped, loose or boogered in some way. Beware of the butchers, assume nothing...
'97 KDX220, '84 YZ125, '81 YZ250, '78 RM250C2, '80 RM100T, '04 KTM 250SX,
'82 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo, survivor