92' Cylinder Exhaust Fitment

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
willie84

Post by willie84 »

Good evening,

I recently picked up an E series basket case. When I removed the cylinder I found it badly damaged. The KIPS valves were absolutely decimated. One gear section has rattled around in there so long it looks like an egg sinker. The bores that accepted the valves were badly worn also. Luckily! I found a serviceable cylinder on EBay. Photos looked good, I double checked the parts schematic, same part # in 89' which is the year this is off of so I jumped on it. I received it today to find I had ignorantly missed one glaring difference. Image

One other minor difference. This hard plastic "keeper" that rests on top of the valve pucks. Image

I measured the ports. Everything appears identical. When I search the part number 11005-1585 I only get European, Japanese, and Australian results. The other cylinder has the 1569 as expected. Image

I bought the part out of Florida from an outfit that appears to part lots of bikes. They even had a photo of the rest of the bike. It had black plastics (could have been painted) and turn signals. I don't know much about the KDX pedigree other than the fact that it fits what I'm after.

If anyone has any further info on this please educate me. If it is truly identical in all other respects I am going to machine a flange to use the existing stud pattern with the exception of adding two ears in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to accept springs for the expansion chamber. I'll also have to machine that step that the end of the exhaust butts up to about .250" deeper to match the 1569 cylinders dimension. No big deal. Someone tell me if I'm wrong please.

I greatly appreciate any info. Thanks kindly.

I should also add that the valves in the one I received are in great shape so that's a big bonus. Saves a little change as the ones I had were destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

On the left appears to be a cylinder off the KDX200SR which was a street legal version that was never officially imported to the U.S. and on the right a standard U.S. spec KDX200 cylinder. I have a '90 U.S. spec cylinder, but it needs to be replated, if you need it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
willie84

Re: 92' Cylinder Exhaust Fitment

Post by willie84 »

Thanks. That's what I've come up with. I have read some uncertainty on wether or not the SR had less aggressive porting but nothing definitive either way. I have measured it and have come up with no differences whatsoever. I'm going to make a flange to fit the slip joint for the exhaust and run it. I hate to send it back because the power valves are good and the plating is still great. I suppose it may not have seen a whole lot of abuse in its lifetime. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Willie84,

I have picked up a KDX200SR and I am in exactly the same position as you.

How did you get on making a flange up?
If you can post some pics on the site im sure it would be of interest to others and a great help to me. Thanks in advance for anything you can share.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 92' Cylinder Exhaust Fitment

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are trying to use an aftermarket pipe on an SR, someone once mentioned cutting the end off the stock pipe and the aftermarket pipe and welding the stock end onto the aftermarket pipe to get the aftermarket pipe to fit the SR cylinder.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
david

Post by david »

Tony wrote:Hi Willie84,

I have picked up a KDX200SR and I am in exactly the same position as you.

How did you get on making a flange up?
If you can post some pics on the site im sure it would be of interest to others and a great help to me. Thanks in advance for anything you can share.
I don't think you will get an answer from him, he only posted twice three years ago.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki