Headlight rewiring

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Railinandnailin

Headlight rewiring

Post by Railinandnailin »

Hey, so I just got a polisport mmx headlight and tusk control switch to replace my old setup and need some help. The headlight has a high and low beam plus a running light. The control switch has a off, high, and low option. I want to eliminate the stock on/off switch and have the running light on all the time with the tail light and then the switch controlling the headlight. I've read if I connect the two wires at the switch, it will keep the lights on. How can I wire the running light in to run with the tail light?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Headlight rewiring

Post by 6 Riders »

IIRC ground the running light to the frame, positive would go to yellow as well as the positive to the Tusk switch. Then the hi and lo wires to the head light main bulb. This will keep the tail light and running light on all the time, with the hi/lo/off switch controlling the head light.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Railinandnailin

6 Riders wrote:IIRC ground the running light to the frame, positive would go to yellow as well as the positive to the Tusk switch. Then the hi and lo wires to the head light main bulb. This will keep the tail light and running light on all the time, with the hi/lo/off switch controlling the head light.
What yellow wire? The power output for headlight is a red and black. Black would go to ground of headlight, red to positive for switch. There's a red and yellow that go to the on/off switch for stock lighting. Is that what you mean?
Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yes, you connect the red and yellow wires, then from yellow to hi/lo and yellow to the tusk headlight positive.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Use the wiring diagram below. (Yes its for H/220, but it's basically the same) Basically you bypass the OEM headlight switch and headlight and wire your running light to the regulator output, the hot line of the new switch tot he same regulator output, and the other two switch lines to the two bulbs in the headlight assembly. Make sure you use good frame grounds and you will probably want to rewire your stator to give more output for the whole shebang.
Railinandnailin

bufftester wrote:Use the wiring diagram below. (Yes its for H/220, but it's basically the same) Basically you bypass the OEM headlight switch and headlight and wire your running light to the regulator output, the hot line of the new switch tot he same regulator output, and the other two switch lines to the two bulbs in the headlight assembly. Make sure you use good frame grounds and you will probably want to rewire your stator to give more output for the whole shebang.
Thanks. That's looks right. I just rewrapped my lighting coil today before I left for work. I just need to make sure its not shorted anywhere before I put it back in. Do you know how to do that?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Just put a multimeter on the ground end and the yellow wire, should read 300-500 ohms IIRC (but I don't have my shop manual handy to double check, and I am getting old..lol)