The World's worst 93 KDX Rebuild

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

Okay, a quick intoduction.

I live in China, I'm not Chinese, I'm a British South African (confused?). And in China, the rules here are completely different, international bikes are banned, parts are unavailable and well KDX or any Kawasaki for that matter has never officially been sold here. So... at some point people started smuggling bikes into the mainland and they passed hands from one owner to another, no one knowing how to maintain or fix them. Long story short, I have tracked down a 93 (at least I think it is) KDX200. It's in awful shape, still runs, but bits of the engine are missing and all round it's in an awful shape. There's a story about me finding an fetching the bike in which I almost died and well I'll be putting that up on my YouTube Channel ( I have gopro footage).

Here she is:

Everything on the bike is messed up, it does run, but the kickstarter gear has an issue since it doesn't engage unless you're gentle... The crank case is damaged in many places and has been repaired badly with Chinese bondo :shock:

Most worrying is that the KIPS power valve cover is missing off of the right hand side of the motor along with the rubber boot that's supposed to protect it... who knows how long it's had mud and water on it.. and well the kips system isn't working anyway (another thing to add to the list), also note that there are no gaskets, just silicone gasket maker everywhere.... :shock:

Zip ties are holding most of the plastics on, cheap rubbish nuts and bolts are all over the engine (note the oversized bolt holding the kips cover on.. which actually split the cover on the back and damaged the engine casing).... also sprocket cover is missing and the threads to mount one are cracked off.... :vom:

The warning lights acutally still work, but they're just jammed into that fake protaper thing... also the front headlight plastic thingie is completely messed up and the headlight itself is melted and doesn't work, in fact none of the lights work at all (except the warning lights :) )

The chain, sprockets, rear axle and adjusters are all rusted and in a state... (BTW it's parked outside my bike shop here in Southern China, Churchill Customs).

Most worrying is this Aluminium rot on the front forks... I don't know if I can save them... but I'll try...

All plastics are damaged.. the rear mudguard and front mudguard are repairable, I'll have to source some new side panels and radiator shrouds (speaking of which.. both radiators are bent oh and leaking too)....

I have a lot going on at the shop (only go to the shop Mondays and Tuesdays) So I can only put a few hours into the KDX each week, but I've already started the process... BTW the airbox has been badly melted and someone tried to repair it with tread plate and rivets (I'll post pics next week)....

The strip down is getting there...

I'm going to be asking a lot of advice here if you guys don't mind... I'm not going to have the luxury of ordering new parts... I'm going to have to bodge everything as best I can... the end goal is to make this bike as pretty and as functional as possible... and hit the trails up here in Southern China...

Did I mention that the expansion chamber is dented to hell and is actually from a 220 not a 200 from what I can read on it.... fun fun times ahead...

I've put her away till next week... I love KDX's and this is my first one. I owned a 1986 KX125 when I was 14 and a guy up the road had a KDX 200, and I always wanted that one instead :grin:

- SerpentZA
Churchill customs, Southern China's only custom bike shop:
http://www.churchillcustoms.com
Bitteeinit

Re: The World's worst 93 KDX Rebuild

Post by Bitteeinit »

Holy ****, that's one crappy looking bike. Why didn't you just get a Shineray/Lifan or something? The Chinese are increasingly coming out with some very interesting vehicles. Only downside is the manufacturer's sometimes lack of parts production. I recently started looking for side panels for my chinabike (daily commuter) and even taobao stopped having sellers... But I did find all plastics for the KDX there. So given that you're in mainland China, have a look at taobao. Cheap as chips for cosmetics and basic parts like brake pads and so on... I'm likely ordering some plastics fairly soon.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The quick, easy things first: Looks to be a 93 KDX SR model based on the frame lugs for the rear footpegs, the oil tank under the seat, the oil injection line in the carb and the steel gas tank. They weren't sold here in the US so not a ton of info on them, but there is some. The loss of the anodizing on the fork leg and the obvious damage is not good. The pipe is not from a 220, or from a late model 200, rides too high and wrong shape. Looks to be a contact point between the pipe and the lower coolant hose from the water pump that will need to be taken care of as well. Good news is most of the parts from the dirt version bike will work on the street version SR, bad news is you live in China which makes getting them a PITA. (although it seems all plastics and decals come out of China, so you may be good there :lol: ). Tough parts to find are going to be the KIPS cover and subvalves (since you mentioned the KIPS isn't working, and the design of those exhaust valves was prone to failure). Bit of an uphill climb in front of you, but if you're just trying to get it dirt ready to beat the hell out of it may not be so bad. Oh, and welcome! :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! and welcome to the forums!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

Bitteeinit wrote:Holy ****, that's one crappy looking bike. Why didn't you just get a Shineray/Lifan or something? The Chinese are increasingly coming out with some very interesting vehicles. Only downside is the manufacturer's sometimes lack of parts production. I recently started looking for side panels for my chinabike (daily commuter) and even taobao stopped having sellers... But I did find all plastics for the KDX there. So given that you're in mainland China, have a look at taobao. Cheap as chips for cosmetics and basic parts like brake pads and so on... I'm likely ordering some plastics fairly soon.
I've had my fill of China bikes, the best brand of China bike is for sure Qingqi (q-link over there?) I owned a QM250gy Liger and rode it all around China (I do faily big road trips each year). I have looked at the shinerays and actually the new Asiawings are looking good, but at the end of the day, they are always the same.. putting out half the horses, constantly breaking (even if the parts are easy and cheap to find and replace). I love the KDX, so will give it a proper go. As for Taobao plastics... yes I found them and did order a set, however I've used these replica style plastics before on my Honda CB400 and they were crap, seriously weak and badly made, I ended up taking them off and actually just repairing the originals, so I'll be on the lookout for second hand originals. :grin:
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

bufftester wrote:The quick, easy things first: Looks to be a 93 KDX SR model based on the frame lugs for the rear footpegs, the oil tank under the seat, the oil injection line in the carb and the steel gas tank. They weren't sold here in the US so not a ton of info on them, but there is some. The loss of the anodizing on the fork leg and the obvious damage is not good. The pipe is not from a 220, or from a late model 200, rides too high and wrong shape. Looks to be a contact point between the pipe and the lower coolant hose from the water pump that will need to be taken care of as well. Good news is most of the parts from the dirt version bike will work on the street version SR, bad news is you live in China which makes getting them a PITA. (although it seems all plastics and decals come out of China, so you may be good there :lol: ). Tough parts to find are going to be the KIPS cover and subvalves (since you mentioned the KIPS isn't working, and the design of those exhaust valves was prone to failure). Bit of an uphill climb in front of you, but if you're just trying to get it dirt ready to beat the hell out of it may not be so bad. Oh, and welcome! :grin:

Thank you! That is immensely helpful, I had no idea it was an SR, but now I've done some research you're absolutely right! It is definitely a Japan only model as all the surviving stickers and markings on all the parts are purely in Japanese, it's pretty cool, I'll post pics next week :) Thanks for the welcome!
thepauly

Post by thepauly »

Without buying any parts, I say good luck. If it runs, though, you're 90% there. Worst case scenario: you ride an ugly bike. I've been there, and it's better than not riding.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Can you buy parts on ebay? If so, that's the route to take. I've bought several items from China on ebay and the shipping isn't that expensive nor is the shipping time excessive using China mail (10-14 days to CA, USA). If not, I bet people on this forum could ship you extra used parts that you might need.
Don't be shy about posting pictures of China either....
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

thepauly wrote:Without buying any parts, I say good luck. If it runs, though, you're 90% there. Worst case scenario: you ride an ugly bike. I've been there, and it's better than not riding.
Well actually since I own a bike modding shop, the danger here is thay the bike may end up looking good but running bad [emoji13], I plan to repaint the frame and forks (if I can save them) also new tyres, chain, handlebars, levers, bark busters, I'll fix the plastics up and paint them if they still look too crap, also sand down and respray the metal tank, it's really the engine and suspension that has me concerned, but I'll keep this thread up to date as I work on her, I have high hopes she will turn out alright!
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

kawagumby wrote:Can you buy parts on ebay? If so, that's the route to take. I've bought several items from China on ebay and the shipping isn't that expensive nor is the shipping time excessive using China mail (10-14 days to CA, USA). If not, I bet people on this forum could ship you extra used parts that you might need.
Don't be shy about posting pictures of China either....
The problem is finding a way to pay for eBay since my Chinese bank accounts are useless, I'll figure it out though I'm sure! Can't wait to share the progress of the rebuild with all of you, and thanks for all the feedback [emoji13] if you want to know what Enduro looks like in China, I have a video of me riding a Chinese made Enduro bike:
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Just wondering: Is the SSR (whoever builds them) CRF250X knockoff available there or is it built specifically for the export market? That's the first, and probably only, real full-size Chinese enduro bike we've seen here.
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

sarrant wrote:Just wondering: Is the SSR (whoever builds them) CRF250X knockoff available there or is it built specifically for the export market? That's the first, and probably only, real full-size Chinese enduro bike we've seen here.
Yes, that's the Asia wing, they make a 250 and a 400 Image
sarrant wrote:Just wondering: Is the SSR (whoever builds them) CRF250X knockoff available there or is it built specifically for the export market? That's the first, and probably only, real full-size Chinese enduro bike we've seen here.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

I have yet to see a liquid cooled Chinese bike...we have some here, sold at Canadian Tire(at least used to be) and I think can be bought on their website and delivered to you from Vancouver. They go under name 'Giovanni', 'Daymak' and a few other brands I can't remember...

Here is a GIO 250..they pop up on local classifieds regularly for <$600...

1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

On my SR I just epoxied the KIPS sub valves in place and let the main valve work.
The valves basically extend the powerband 500 rpm which is helpful but not essential.
Since you have a 220 pipe and intend to do trail riding I would set all the valves in the closed position.
I would also use premix since most injection systems require injection oil (I think it is lighter). My injector died and I seized the engine. That is when I switched to premix.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

Jaguar wrote:On my SR I just epoxied the KIPS sub valves in place and let the main valve work.
The valves basically extend the powerband 500 rpm which is helpful but not essential.
Since you have a 220 pipe and intend to do trail riding I would set all the valves in the closed position.
I would also use premix since most injection systems require injection oil (I think it is lighter). My injector died and I seized the engine. That is when I switched to premix.
Valuable advice, I never trusted autolube systems
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

Yeah... so the replacement side covers arrived... what a pile of crap
I could literally make something better by hand
Looks like someone melted down a pile of plastic knives and forks... they're wafer thin too, and brittle...
Well done Taobao, you're reinforcing the Made in China is crap stereotype
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Holy ****! Thanks for that... I was going to order some side panels! Lost my left one on a recent jungle ride. They were cheap and didn't look perfect, but that's ridiculous. I'll go to my usual fiberglass shop and see if they can model me a left panel based on the right one...
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

Bitteeinit wrote:Holy ****! Thanks for that... I was going to order some side panels! Lost my left one on a recent jungle ride. They were cheap and didn't look perfect, but that's ridiculous. I'll go to my usual fiberglass shop and see if they can model me a left panel based on the right one...
Yeah man, it's the only shop on taobao that sells those KDX E plastics, and it's 108RMB for the two sides, but seriously don't bother, I spoke to the seller and he was like "just use bondo and sandpaper then paint them" (in Chinese of course), and I was all like "you silly bugger, this is for going offroad, bondo and paint on a wafer thin plastic melted down spork is just going to bee a disaster" and he was like "well all the guys who smuggle in the stolen or written off bikes use these to make the bikes look newish before they sell them", and I was like "your quality sucks balls man". They're cheap enough for me to try and cut out the melted section of the original panel and see what I can do to use this garbage to patch the hole... :P Bottom line, don't buy this crap, here's the original link: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... =15#detail

There are a few different sellers, but they all come from the same source, I confirmed that today... complete garbage :vom:
SerpentZA

Post by SerpentZA »

I've ordered a shyteload of bits and pieces from Taobao(the Chinese eBay).. a few things have arrived

Graphics... have to have em! They're cheap so who knows if they'll last [emoji13]

Anodized blue bars, I've used these before, they're good and sturdy.

Bark busters, fake brand names, but awesome with aluminium reinforcing built in...

Fork guards, the ones on the bike are broken....

Cheap but nice looking levers...

Fake pro taper bar guard... WTF is a taper? Someone who uses duct tape like a pro?

More as it comes
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I think taper has to do with the bar size. Pro Taper bars are 1 1/2" inch(3.81 cm) at the mount and taper(narrow) down to 1"(2.54 cm) at the ends.