Steel KIPS valves finally coming - sorry for the wait

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hello again chaps,

Sorry for the delay - I know quite a few of you have been on my case to get these made and you did well. :bravo:
I'm also well aware that I must have missed my expected manufacture deadline about a dozen times. :oops:
Please remember that we are only 3 full time members of staff and we have a very large range of work that we do.
Anyway here we are - below is one of the two valves and idler gear which we have drawn as solid models for the KDX200 E models.

We are now at the point of production and are ordering some steel so that we can begin the machining process, but at this stage we need your help to ensure proper quality control before pressing the 'go' button on a full production run.
We anticipate having these valves available for purchase in around 4 weeks time.

So what we really need from somebody is a barrel, head, shaft, bushes and if possible valves so that we can try ours in there, make sure they work as intended, that our tolerances are good and that the ports line well and adjust if necessary. Clearly this is only a borrow although we may need this to be for a few weeks.

What's in it for the helpful fellow? Topset, return postage and half price valve set.
Anybody willing? Ideally we need someone in the UK.

No doubt you'll want to know a firm price but to be honest we haven't costed it correctly yet, however a fair bet is to say about 30% more than a set of KMX200 valves due to the extra idler gear and bush.

I drove myself crazy looking through the parts fiches and finding out that they changed the power valves for every model letter change on these but hopefully it will turn out to be worthwhile exercise.

Well that's about it for now - if you prefer to email me direct it's brock@bdkraceeng.co.uk or if it's a voice you want to speak to it's
0044 (0)1508 481713

Hope to hear from you soon - keep causing trouble,

Brock
Bitteeinit

Re: Steel KIPS valves finally coming - sorry for the wait

Post by Bitteeinit »

Good to hear!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Excellent news. If you can't find anyone on that side of the pond to loan you the bits, let me know. We will make sure it happens one way or another!

J.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Nicce! Good to hear you are going to make this happen, and just in time after Kawasaki discontinued the valves later last year..

I have an old jug + head and an old subvalve. No shaft, bush collars unless I were to extract them from my bike. But I have all that stuff removed anyways. Looks like shipping would be around $50-$60 though. Ouch
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I believe I have some older bushings hanging round somewhere. Finding them might prove a challenge. I likewise do not have the valves and shaft unless I pull them from my bike. Not a big deal though as I won't be riding again until spring time. I do have a spare jug and head also. I definitely don't mind covering the shipping to get stuff there as a KDXRIDER expense if we can amass the needed parts in one location.
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

It's really good to see so much in the way of enthusiasm.

I'm glad to say that I have already sorted someone in the UK who has all the required bits and is sending them over to me.

Good times - be assured I will be back soon with the news, pictures and if I'm not breaking any rules links.

Thanks. :)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No sir, as far as I'm concerned you have free reign here. Been waiting for someone to produce these for a long time!
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Brock, i'm in France, and i think i can help you ( have a complete kips system -some parts are news some others used) , but i don't speack english very well, if you (or some other members) can explain me what you wan't (with pics or oem number) i can see if i have them
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I have a set of left, right, spur and one bushing that you may borrow. They are only slightly used and in near perfect shape.

PM me if you need them, glad to help. I'll ship if you pay the return.
Last edited by Keystone on 11:41 pm Feb 03 2015, edited 1 time in total.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

This is great news! I will 100% be purchasing a set for my hybrid.
David Eckel
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

<-- **Waiting impatiently with a 2-stroke-oil-covered wad of cash in hand**
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

frenche200 wrote:Brock, i'm in France, and i think i can help you ( have a complete kips system -some parts are news some others used) , but i don't speack english very well, if you (or some other members) can explain me what you wan't (with pics or oem number) i can see if i have them
Ne t'en fais pas - il y a un de mes clients en angleterre qui m'envoi sa culasse, cylindre et pieces d'operation pour les valves aussi que ses valves de rechange pour que je puisse verifier tout ca. Merci quand-meme et oui je suis moi-meme moitie francais et c'est normalement moi qui repond a l'appareille si t'a besoin de nous appeler.

Je dois admettre que j'aurais du m'appliquer plus a l'ecole mais petit a petit je commence a apprendre les mots techniques dont j'ai besoin pour discuter de motos.

Brock
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Thanks all you guys - it looks like I'm set for the bits I need to get this done.
It's still going to take me a while to get through this and finish up but all good things come to those who wait, sill hoping to be done by the end of the month ish. :)

So I've posted them as a pre-order price on the web shop which will probably go up once we're done (likely by about 10-15%, depends on cycle times etc).

Sadly it's made me realise that I don't have most of the bits I can supply for the bikes on the shop at all, but for most of you guys over the water this isn't important.

Many thanks for your offers of help and encouragement.

Brock
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Link to product page--> http://bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/products.php?253

Nice middle pictures btw, that was my new left valve after maybe 10 hours of riding and it was already starting to wear...

If I would make one suggestion before you start production of the steel valves, I would say make the timing/alignment marks above the gear a bit bigger? Kaw puts the tiniest little dots on them which are hard to see.
1990 KDX200
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

I am very interested, Pardon my ignorance, but I have a couple questions before I place the order, First, I have an SR I believe to be an'89, will these be compatible? I know the SR had a lot of odd parts like smaller carb, and different exhaust and such. Secondly, Would shipping to Japan or US be cheaper? I have 2 address and either one will get to me here so in the interest of a fatter wallet, it would be better to ship cheaper. Last question, The price listed on the site, is that for the whole set or just one piece??
Again, sorry for the probably obvious questions to most gents, but I am a newb to this bike.
Thank you!
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Ya they will work, Bitteeinit runs the N. American/Euro part # valves in his SR if I recall correctly.(LH...12005-1121, RH...12005-1122, Idle gear...59051-1206) Which I assume are the ones Brock is using as templates
1990 KDX200
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Brock@BDK wrote:
frenche200 wrote:Brock, i'm in France, and i think i can help you ( have a complete kips system -some parts are news some others used) , but i don't speack english very well, if you (or some other members) can explain me what you wan't (with pics or oem number) i can see if i have them
Ne t'en fais pas - il y a un de mes clients en angleterre qui m'envoi sa culasse, cylindre et pieces d'operation pour les valves aussi que ses valves de rechange pour que je puisse verifier tout ca. Merci quand-meme et oui je suis moi-meme moitie francais et c'est normalement moi qui repond a l'appareille si t'a besoin de nous appeler.

Je dois admettre que j'aurais du m'appliquer plus a l'ecole mais petit a petit je commence a apprendre les mots techniques dont j'ai besoin pour discuter de motos.

Brock
Merci ! :wink:
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Beer! wrote:I am very interested, Pardon my ignorance, but I have a couple questions before I place the order, First, I have an SR I believe to be an'89, will these be compatible? I know the SR had a lot of odd parts like smaller carb, and different exhaust and such. Secondly, Would shipping to Japan or US be cheaper? I have 2 address and either one will get to me here so in the interest of a fatter wallet, it would be better to ship cheaper. Last question, The price listed on the site, is that for the whole set or just one piece??
Again, sorry for the probably obvious questions to most gents, but I am a newb to this bike.
Thank you!
Hi,

Sorry if I'm a little late in replying - it's manic here.
So, for the postage the price to Japan or USA are exactly the same on an item of this weight.
For clarity the kit as advertised on the shop includes equivalents to:
3 x 92143-1147 collar (bush) Aluminium
1 x 12005-1122 Steel
1 x 12005-1121 Steel
1 x 59051-1206 Steel

All the best,

Brock
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Gotanubike wrote:Ya they will work, Bitteeinit runs the N. American/Euro part # valves in his SR if I recall correctly.(LH...12005-1121, RH...12005-1122, Idle gear...59051-1206) Which I assume are the ones Brock is using as templates
Indeed! Actually, I kept them as spares. I'm running my own custom steel ones at the moment. Not machined at the same level as Brock though... But so far they seem to be doing a good job. I've yet to open the bike up again (I have roughly 40-50 hours on the current piston, and another piston/gasket kit as a backup). I'm just worried the steel might wear the idle gear prematurely. I'll see when I open it up again...Either way, those valves fit the SR.
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

Excellent, Time to place an order!