Steel KIPS valves finally coming - sorry for the wait

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Steel KIPS valves finally coming - sorry for the wait

Post by frenche200 »

Bonjour Brock, as tu reçu les pièces ?
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Hey frenche, thanks for volunteering your pieces for the cause. I also really appreciate the English translation when you include it. I'm watching this thread closely and I'm really looking forward to the day when these valves get fully developed. Thanks again for helping with forward progress.
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Tout bien recu et nous sommes en train de couper les dents aujourd'hui merci :)
Le cylindre est nettoye aussi que les valves mais je prefere discuter la condition du cylindre directement si ca ne te gene pas? Brock@bdkraceeng.co.uk

Everything has been received safe and sound and we are cutting teeth today as it were.
The cylinder has been cleaned and I'm happy to have a discussion about what we can do about fixing it if you like?
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

All right, i will send you an email during the week.. If you think the rod-governor is not in suffisant good condition for what you have to do for your valve, i have just order a new one, so, if necessary i can send it to when i receved it

Theradbaron: lot of people help me here when sharing their knowledge ..Can't help a lot with my poor english language , so i'm very happy to help like this
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Merci de l'offre d'un nouveau 'rod-governor' mais en faite le tiens est en tres bonne condition. J'ai pris une photo mais c'est plus facile de te l'envoyer directe. :)

Thanks for the offer of a new 'rod-governor' but in fact yours in in very good condition. I took a photo but it's easier to send it to you direct :)
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

So are these replacement valves shipping? I'm currently SOL on finding an OEM replacement for my E-Series :(
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Keviness wrote:So are these replacement valves shipping? I'm currently SOL on finding an OEM replacement for my E-Series :(
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kdx200_model11766/ Right here.

They have them in stock and they will ship them out. Right valve,left hand valve, idle gear, spacers, whatever. I ordered them from the U.S. using this website, credit card converts your total into USD, no hassles.
Problem is, they are still the original Kawasaki aluminum sub-valves, usually good for about 1500 miles. Maybe more maybe less.
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Hello Brock, have you received my email from: boobalechat at gmail dot com ? :grin:
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

Keystone wrote:
Keviness wrote:So are these replacement valves shipping? I'm currently SOL on finding an OEM replacement for my E-Series :(
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kdx200_model11766/ Right here.

They have them in stock and they will ship them out. Right valve,left hand valve, idle gear, spacers, whatever. I ordered them from the U.S. using this website, credit card converts your total into USD, no hassles.
Problem is, they are still the original Kawasaki aluminum sub-valves, usually good for about 1500 miles. Maybe more maybe less.
Thanks. I saw that earlier and was hoping to buy the steel replacements. But I went ahead and ordered from those guys. Should be here in a week or two. Damn am I going to be pressed for time to get this thing back together by the 4th of July weekend! Its currently half a motor sitting in a frame. I guess it does have the swing arm and forks on it.......
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hello fellas,
Well I have all the pre-orders bagged up and they will go to the post office with me this evening.
Can I take this opportunity to thank you all for your patience and help with a particular mention to Frenchie for the loan of the barrel and valve parts to check against.
Prices will be going up to post-order as soon as I've finished these announcements.

Many thanks chaps! :)

Brock

Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

A work of art! Can't wait to get them in my hands.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Thank you, Brock! You have made many E Series KDX owners very very happy! As soon as I need yet another replacement set, I'll be picking some of these up for sure!
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Wooh great!

Thanks Brock, and to Frenche200 for lending out the necessary hardware to get them done! :bravo: :supz:
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Any idea what the cost will be? I had a set of steel valves made and they're still going strong after 65+ hours, but I didn't get steel collars or an idle gear made, so I have a feeling those will wear out as some point.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can just have a look at their website for pricing.

http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I got the STEEL KIPS VALVES in the mail today!

First thing I did was take them out to the garage and laid them side by side against a set of slightly used original aluminum valves.

They looked FANTASTIC but one thing caught my eye. Just by eye-balling them, the circumference of the left and right top gears seemed to be LARGER on the steel valves than that of the aluminum originals.
Pulled out the micrometer to verify this and it turned out to be true, the gear on the steel valves is larger around than that of the original aluminum.

Steel Valves .592" (Both left and right).

Pulled out a brand new original LEFT subvalve for an accurate measurement. It was .567" All three (left right used and left brand new) measured the same.

Was this intended because of expansion rates? I'm not a machinist so not sure.
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hey there,

Glad at least some of you are starting to get these through the post.
Well you most of the way answered your own question; ally expands faster than steel and this part has no cooling and very little bearing face (heat sink).
It should be able to run tighter tolerance on the gear and still function correctly.
Thanks to your Frenchie we could test the fit as they came off the machine.
A similar engagement has proved effective on the KMX200 valves which we have been making some time.
don't forget to clean out the locating hole at the bottom of the valve pocket thoroughly - this is paramount to good operation.

All the best,

Brock
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Thanks Brock, I had an idea that was the reason. Frenchie, thanks for working with Brock to help make this happen for everyone! Finally having these valves feels great, they look and feel fantastic.
203BikeLifeCHiNO

Post by 203BikeLifeCHiNO »

Hey all just picked up a 89 kdx200 a couple weeks ago and plan on doing a full engine rebuild as well as replacing some other odds and ends, so I ordered everything for a full rebuild including the KIPS valves from babbits to find out yesterday the KIPS valves are NLA! After receiving my refund for the KIPS valves I figured I should take a look at the ones in the jug to see if they really needed to be replaced... And they def need to be replaced the engine was a lot cleaner inside than I had expected (it's my first 2 stroke had no idea what to expect lol) but they are shot the pins on top of the left and right valve that slide thru the bushes are broken off and just resting on top of the gears inside the bushes and some of the teeth on the right valve are petty much non existent, so I just ordered the steel ones from BDK (damn that exchange rate!!!!) and I'm just curious approximately how long they take to make it to the US? I'm in Connecticut if that helps at all.
Brock@BDK
Supporting Member

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hi,
Thanks for ordering the valves Alf, I'll get those out to you this evening.
I'm not too sure on delivery times to the States to be fair, but if I had to take a punt I'd say 3-5 days.
However - I have lost track of who's who with these usernames but if Keystone got his yesterday then they most likely took 9 days wherever he lives :(
If it's worth it to you another $17 (£10.92) gets you them 'next day' which would be day after tomorrow.
I'm about to go home so perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow to post yours just in case you want to come back to me on that.
Paypal address is james@bdkraceeng.co.uk
Take it slow - Brock